• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Some Netflix titles only in 960x540

The resolutions mentioned by providers are UP TO that resolution, not a guarantee. Case and point, one of my favorite tv series is star trek voyager, i would LOVE to have that series (and the other ones) in 1080p HD, not that's not going to happen.

HD didn't exist back then and there is no source material available in that format from back then. No matter your plan (i have 4k cause I need the device count), they can't magically offer a resolution/quality of something that doesn't exist.

What streaming platforms sometimes do to make it SEAM like something exists like that is CROP the image so it appears in widescreen format. This not only results in loss of image content, but it still doesn't change the native video resolution.

Simply Google 'simpsons cropped beer meme' and you'll get a good idea. Here's a link with a few examples.

Code:
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/11/simpsons-jokes-gags-cropped-aspect-ratio.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The resolutions mentioned by providers are UP TO that resolution, not a guarantee.

all youve said is a very well known fact. no issues there. but what i was talking about is the fact that certain newish movies are not available in 1080p on NF. i just checked to see for myself. picked a few movies ive stumbled upon first and for instance 'nightcrawler' is available in 1080p. 'taladega nights', on the other hand? 540p. and thats hardly a movie that wont go up tp 1080p. same with movie '2012'. 540p max.

i never had an instance of a newer movie (shot in the last 10-20 years) not being available in 1080p over at AP. older movies, obscure horror movies and movies from that 99c channel over at AP? sure. a plenty. so, i dunno whats NFs problem, maybe studio rights, lockdown downgrade, whatever. somethings up. thats why NF is my last resort for movies. ok, up until H(ulu) was introduced, lol.

that being said, out of 10-15 movies i just checked on NF most were available in 1080p. a few weeks back, when i also perused movie section over at NF, most that i checked were 540p. who knows, maybe some things are a changing over there, or maybe i just happened to stumble upon 10 540p ones then, and then 10 1080p today. weird, but it is saul. saul good. cheers!

Well that goes back to DRM change at the end of May this year. That's all that can be said, the rest is technical details relations to the inner workings of DRM and AS, and the developer staff has larger it very clear they do not want such discussion on this forum.

I also have the standard plan and get a ton of 1080P. HBO Max also, a ton of 1080P. Disney+ and Hulu 720P. AP, a ton of 1080P.

The resolutions mentioned by providers are UP TO that resolution, not a guarantee. Case and point, one of my favorite tv series is star trek voyager, i would LOVE to have that series (and the other ones) in 1080p HD, not that's not going to happen.

HD didn't exist back then and there is no source material available in that format from back then. No matter your plan (i have 4k cause I need the device count), they can't magically offer a resolution/quality of something that doesn't exist.

What streaming platforms sometimes do to make it SEAM like something exists like that is CROP the image so it appears in widescreen format. This not only results in loss of image content, but it still doesn't change the native video resolution.

Simply Google 'simpsons cropped beer meme' and you'll get a good idea. Here's a link with a few examples.

Code:
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/11/simpsons-jokes-gags-cropped-aspect-ratio.html

I agree with what you said about the providers. It comes down to what does it cost to do a good transfer and what is the market willing to bear. I disagree when it comes to the original Star Trek series, for example. True that there was no (digital) HD back then but have you ever seen the Blue Ray version of this TV series? The answer is film stock quality used and the analog-to-digital conversion and restoration process. Most of the shows back at that time used film. Being analog, there's no telling what digital resolution you can get from them if they were properly filmed on good stock, restored and resized. If you were a Trekkie, you'd know. There were original episode frames sold that were cut from discarded episode scenes left on the editing room floor that will blow your mind quality-wise. I'm sure that is true for many movies and TV Series of those times as well.. Check out the recently restored and released version of Lawrence of Arabia (1964) for instance.

I hope that I did ruffle too many feathers! :cautious:

I hope that I did ruffle too many feathers!
You can't worry about that. It goes without saying that regardless of what you post, be it sincere, or in jest, serious, or kidding around; intentional or not - feathers will be ruffled. It comes with the territory.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said about the providers. It comes down to what does it cost to do a good transfer and what is the market willing to bear. I disagree when it comes to the original Star Trek series, for example. True that there was no (digital) HD back then but have you ever seen the Blue Ray version of this TV series? The answer is film stock quality used and the analog-to-digital conversion and restoration process. Most of the shows back at that time used film. Being analog, there's no telling what digital resolution you can get from them if they were properly filmed on good stock, restored and resized. If you were a Trekkie, you'd know. There were original episode frames sold that were cut from discarded episode scenes left on the editing room floor that will blow your mind quality-wise. I'm sure that is true for many movies and TV Series of those times as well.. Check out the recently restored and released version of Lawrence of Arabia (1964) for instance.

I hope that I did ruffle too many feathers! :cautious:
I'm not a Star Trek fan but my understanding was that the reason why DS9 and Voyager will forever be stuck in SD is because the visual effects would have to be completely redone for an HD remaster. They did it for the original series and Next Generation but the cost and effort that would be required is too much for beyond that.

Last edited:

Code:

Actually 35mm film is capable of 4K but Star Trek deep space nine and Voyager were all edited on video tape which means HD will never be possible. Your best bet is to download the fan made AI upscale but even that isn't the real deal but better than the fuzzy SD version.

I am in the USA and most of the Netflix downloads are in 1080p except for some older titles and some music shows which are in lower reolutions.

If I recall correctly, "Mitchells vs the Machines" is one that would fit the bill.
Seems like this title only gets 540p in Chrome for some reason. But it gets 1080p on Android. I guess not much can be done as AS basically emulates a browser client.

Back