• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[SOLVED] screenpass? problem with Knives Out (blue Ray)

Hi - sorry to came late to the game. I'm using anydvd hd 8.5.1.0 (latest version) and clonebd 1.2.9.0 64 bit. I'm trying to rip the bluray to my nas drive as i do most of my dvds and blurays. i had issues earlier, where i was going in batches, and that resolved by rebooting my pc and only ripping 1 bluray, rebooting, etc. - here, i've tried several times, including reboots, cleaning the disk, etc.
error seems to be "Internal transcoder errror"
like all my blurays, i rip to mkv - this was a 14 gig file that won't play (other times where i've had files fail they've gone this long, shorter, longer, etc.) - checking it in VLC which won't play this or seemingly any other failed rips.
as usual, i go for lossless audio, and try to get the frames to 12 mbits which i believe is the most HD can display anyway - i'm trying to get the best image and sound for the file size.
I'm attaching the log files from 2 fails. If I've done anything wrong or set anything wrong please let me know. Thank you!

Attachments

• CloneBD.1.2.9.0.Knives Out (2019).cbdlog
    497.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CloneBD.1.2.9.0.Knives Out.cbdlog
    496.9 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if this is a ScreenPass issue or something else, but appears to be title specific, so putting it here. Log File attached.

Knives Out Blu-ray. AnyDVD HD 8.5.2.0, did "Rip Video Disc to Harddisc...". BD Rebuilder v0.61.21, re-encoded for "Full Backup", burned to BD25 media.

The original Blu-ray (Netflix) loads/plays in my Sony BDP-S480. The first burned copy didn't load in the player at all (blank screen). Thought maybe the 1st one may have been a bad disc, so burned another - same thing. Re-ripped the Blu-ray again, used the same BD Rebuilder settings to re-encode again and the same thing - copied disc will not even load in the Blu-ray player.

Main movie appears to play fine on any of the burned copies (00234.mpls) using MPC-HC on my PC.

Any clues...thanks.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.2.0_Info_E_KNIVES_OUT_1FDC0C77_3ED55ABB.ziplog
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
that title is supported by AnyDVD just fine. What type brand of discs are you using? What speed did you burn at? What did you use to burn?...

@Ch3vr0n - thanks much the reply

Optical Quantum 1X-6X BD-R 25GB, which I've been using for years. Occasion coasters at times, but more good than bad.

Using ImgBurn - have it set to "Write Speed: MAX". ImgBurn log recognizes "Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x" for the Optical Quantum. Those last 3 "Knives Out" burns indicated "Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 26,976 KB/s (6x)" and "Average Write Rate: 18,587 KiB/s (4.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 26,679 KiB/s (6.1x)". Pretty much the same data for the last 4 conversions/burns before this one - Ford v Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ad Astra and A Simple Favor (which is also Lionsgate) and all came out fine and play in my Sony BDP-S480.

I pretty much took a break from doing these after my Dell PC died/crashed at the end of 2019. I had an LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray reader/writer in that which worked fine. Have to admit, the new Dell PC I got to replace it with back then (and which I still have now) has basically a laptop Blu-ray reader/writer in it (there's no tray opening for a 5.25" drive - don't know the manufacturer), but it's cheap/flimsy and read/write speeds are measurably slower.

Did find it interesting that @fryburg in this thread:

"..I tried it on 8.4.6.0, but it does not work. It will go through the entire process completely and it looks like it works, but the burned disc never loads in my Blu-ray player. This is a constant issue when burning newer Lionsgate releases on Blu-ray. It also happened recently when I tried to burn a copy of Judy (another recent Lionsgate release) on Blu-ray..."

So just wondering if something beyond ScreenPass, AnyDVD supported titles and/or something Lionsgate may be up to etc. Maybe I'll try a much slower write speed and see what shakes out. Thanks again for the headsup...

Tried another burn at 2x speed - ImgBurn log, "Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 8,992 KB/s (2x)" and "Average Write Rate: 8,773 KiB/s (2.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 8,873 KiB/s (2.0x)" - disc still does not load in my Blu-ray player.

Started thinking it might have something to do with Region Code. This disc is Region A (only) - says so right on the disc. Don't know why it would matter as my player is also Region A (only), but as per @mbarnstijn advisory, set AnyDVD HD options to: Remove Region Code, checked. Always ask for region code of inserted disc, selected. When prompted, I selected "Region A" for removal, ripped again, another re-encode with BD Rebuilder v0.61.21 and burn - disc still does not load in my Blu-ray player.

FWIW, I've done XXX's of these using the standard routine I indicated above almost entirely w/o incident - the very few have been due to bad blanks/coasters (mostly) or bad originals. Just for S&G's, took the next title on my to-do list ("The Irishman") - AnyDVD HD rip worked fine (Region set back to the default "Automatic" setting w/ "Remove" unchecked), BD Rebuilder re-encode worked fine, burn to Optical Quantum disc (set to the standard AWS setting in ImgBurn) worked fine and plays fine in my Sony BDP-S480. So the first 4 titles I did before "Knives Out" worked, but after 3 separate rips, 3 re-encodes and 5 burn attempts, "Knives Out" still doesn't, but the one right after that ("The Irishman") worked and played fine in my Blu-ray player. What are the odds? This can't just be by coincidence that this last one worked right out of the gate and appears to have nothing to do with blank/disc brand or burn speed.

Not to beat this to death or to be misunderstood - I know just enough about all this stuff to get myself in deep shite (and I usually do), but there either seems to be something fundamentally/critically lacking in AnyDVD HD's ability to handle this title and whatever the AnyDVD logfile is saying at this point is moot or...something different/new may be happening in BD Rebuilder's re-encoding? (tsmuxer issues?) or...there's some unknown incompatibility issues with an older Blu-ray player like the Sony BDP-S480. Bottom line is, for whatever reasons, the "full disc" thing just isn't working (for me) with this particular (Lionsgate) title. Think this is the only one I haven't been able to do since 2009 (I think), but after 5 wasted blanks, I'm done with this one. Thanks...

@hautem, apologies in advance if the following is already fully understood by you.

If a licensed player like PowerDVD can play the disc in your PC with AnyDVD decoding it on-the-fly, then AnyDVD is doing it's job. The "remastered" image of the disc that's presented by AnyDVD to PowerDVD (or any other software player) in your PC is exactly the same as the image that will get burned to a disc by ImgBurn.

PowerDVD (because it is licensed and has full menu support) is accepted here in the forums, and by the Redfox developers, as the gold standard for testing AnyDVD decoding. It has the added bonus of not wasting burnable discs.

IIRC PowerDVD can play a Blu-ray with menus even when it runs in demo mode, so that kind of testing is free assuming you don't mind putting in the time installing it and then uninstalling it before the demo expires. It's a much quicker test of proper decoding and playback than ripping and burning.

Would you please try Knives Out playback of the disc directly with PowerDVD on your ripping PC? The results of that test would tell us here on the forum if the problem with your disc burns is in AnyDVD or in the process following AnyDVD that creates your disc images for burning.

Please be aware that the automatic mode for region code removal doesn't always properly detect the region code. That's not a problem if you never buy discs from outside your own region. I'm confused, however, by what you said about your normal settings being Automatic with Remove UNCHECKED. If you're not removing the region code, then all the other settings are ignored. Did you mean "remove country code" unchecked? (That country code removal setting is only useful for some Japanese anime releases that are not sold via North American distributors.)

--michael

@mbarnstijn, apologies not necessary and really appreciate your input/info. I wasn't aware of PowerDVD's significance as a testing tool. AnyDVD HD has actually been great over the years and I've spent very little time here at the forum looking for fixes like this, but there have been the very rare exceptions like this one where things just don't seem to be working.

"...I'm confused, however, by what you said about your normal settings being Automatic with Remove UNCHECKED..."

Yes, it is confusing. As far as I know, the AnyDVD HD default settings for the "Video Blu-ray" menu is everything unchecked except for the top line "Enable Blu-ray Support" checked with "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" unchecked, but the "Automatic" radio-button selected. See the online manual illustration:

http://docs.redfox.bz/manual/anydvd/video-blu-ray.html

That's all I meant by that. I think the "radio button" has to be "selected" for one of the 5 options (and even with "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" unchecked, I've wondered sometimes if that "Automatic" being selected was actually doing something etc.). I've always used it at default, but changed to your recommended settings for Region Code removal (Region A selected), re-ripped, re-encoded and burned, but had no effect - disc still did not load in my Blu-ray player (was trying anything that seemed plausible at that point). I set it back to the default setting when I processed "The Irishman" and all worked fine and played in the Sony.

Downloaded/installed PowerDVD and left AnyDVD HD on my PC "enabled" for all of this.

With AnyDVD HD, I've never ripped to ISO, but to Folders/Files ("Rip Video Disc to Harddisc...") and then re-encode with BD Rebuilder. At this point I still had the original full disc content from my first rip and the last rip (the one with Region Code removed) and the corresponding BD Rebuilder v0.61.21 re-encodes, both in folder format on my PC. Figured I would try playing the PC content first.

If I point PowerDVD to the "parent" folder of either of the two original disc rips, PowerDVD plays them fine, complete with menus etc.

If I point PowerDVD to the "parent" folder of either of the two corresponding BD Rebuilder v0.61.21 re-encodes, PowerDVD also plays them fine, complete with menus. So at this point, it appears the disconnect is between the BD Rebuilder v0.61.21 re-encodes and burning that content to disc.

I tried all 5 burned discs in PowerDVD on my PC. So it's somewhat less confusing (maybe), names/sequence of my burn attempts below::

1) 1st Rip, 1st Encode, 1st Burn - does not load/play in PowerDVD
2) 1st Rip, 1st Encode, 2nd Burn (thought the 1st burn may have been a bad disc/blank) - does not load/play in PowerDVD
3) 2nd Rip, 2nd Encode, 3rd Burn (thought the 1st Rip may have been bad, so re-ripped and burned again) - loaded/started playing in PowerDVD. Played through chapter 4, advanced through several chapters and appeared fine
4) 2nd Rip, 2nd Encode, 4th Burn (tried burning disc/blank at slower 2X speed in ImgBurn) - loaded/started playing in PowerDVD
5) 3rd Rip, 3rd Encode, 5th Burn (changed AnyDVD HD settings to remove Region A) - Started to play, but fast forwarding to the last "preview", it froze - "Cyberlink Power DVD could not read a file on this disc. Playback will stop."

Thing is, burned discs #3 and #4 still do not load/play into my Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray player. Last (and final) firmware upgrade for the Sony was M07.R.0631, release date: 12-24-2014 and is current in my player, but doesn't matter - the original disc plays fine in it.

Still not sure what's happening here:
- the original disc plays fine both in PowerDVD on my PC and in my Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray player
- ripped original disc content and BD Rebuilder re-encoded content on my PC (in folder format) appears fine to PowerDVD
- 2 out of the 5 burned discs appear fine to PowerDVD on my PC, but all 5 still won't load/play in the Sony BDP-S480

- Conclusion? 5 (partially?) bad blank/discs in a row?, but the 4 titles before that and the 1 title after that were OK (as the Sony BDP-S480 sees it?)

Figured I would push the "bad blank/disc" theory one more time and selected one blank from somewhere in the middle the spindle stack (e.g. out of sequence - have about 20 left in the spindle), burned again from the original rip/BD Rebuilder re-encode. The disc played absolutely fine using PowerDVD in my PC (and had my hopes up at that point), but put into the Sony BDP-S480 - it just sat there dead like all the rest of them. Very odd.

FWIW, just an update/FYI on this "Knives Out" thing.

Tried using an earlier version of BD-Rebuilder (v0.60.04) that worked fine a while back on another Lionsgate release "A Simple Favor":

7) 1st Rip, 4th Encode, 7th Burn - disc plays in PowerDVD on my PC, but not in the Sony BDP-S480

Figured I would try a batch/brand name of new blanks altogether - ordered some Verbatim BD-R 25GB 16X Blu-ray Recordable Media

8) 4th Rip, 5th Encode, 8th Burn (1st Verbatim disc) - same thing, disc plays in PowerDVD on my PC, but not in the Sony BDP-S480

(in between all of this, I did separate rips of "Dark Waters" and still had my 1st re-encoding of "Ford v Ferrari" - burned both to disc and both played fine in the Sony BDP-S480)

So, last but not least (and 9 burns later), I tried ripping the original disc again and re-encoded, but enabled the "Speedmenu" option in AnyDVD HD (as @James had suggested earlier in this thread). I never gave it much thought since in all the time I've been doing these, I've never had to explore that as an option.

This one worked in PowerDVD on my PC (as did all the others), and now also worked in the Sony BDP-S480 (thanks @James and should have listened to you in the first place).

Not in a position to conclude anything here based on fact, but if allowed to speculate, it might appear that either someone at Lionsgate is getting very creative with the BD-J/Java ME platform (only because the original disc always worked in the Sony, but every one of the copies with original menu content would not - that perhaps something critical is happening/being missed in the ripping process) or the latest (and last) firmware upgrade to the Sony BDP-S480 (M07.R.0631, release date: 12/24/2014) just isn't cutting it anymore (but that's highly doubtful for the same reason - it plays the original disc just fine). I don't have another/more recent Blu-ray player to compare it with, so just guessing.

Anyway...thanks to those who responded.

Back