• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Solved] Can't generate CSS keys for "Top Secret!" (1984), DVD Region 2

Waffle King

AnyDVD gives the following warning after scanning the disc:

AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!
AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible,
that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.​

When I go to open the disc in MPC-HC, it starts by playing a 17-second blank screen (probably the initial 23-language selection prompt). I can navigate to other titles via context menus, including the main feature, but there is no picture, only audio. Other software can't read the disc. (Disc plays fine in my region-free Bluray player.)

Other info:
DVD is from Germany, Region 2, PAL.
Disc label is EC_102821.
Log attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.4.4.0_Info_E_EC_102821.ziplog
    171.2 KB · Views: 2
AnyDVD gives the following warning after scanning the disc:

AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!
AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible,
that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.​

When I go to open the disc in MPC-HC, it starts by playing a 17-second blank screen (probably the initial 23-language selection prompt). I can navigate to other titles via context menus, including the main feature, but there is no picture, only audio. Other software can't read the disc. (Disc plays fine in my region-free Bluray player.)

Other info:
DVD is from Germany, Region 2, PAL.
Disc label is EC_102821.
Log attached.
You can use a drive set to region 2 to get the correct keys, or you can ask a fellow forum member from Germany, if he can give it to you.

James is sometimes an oracle. The disc is region 2 but your drive is set to region 1. However, you have to be careful. The number of region changes per drive is limited to 4 or 5. So if you have discs from both regions be aware that the changes are limited and if maxed out you can't change back!!!

I also use discs from both regions. Therefore I have 2 drives. One set to 1 and one set to 2.

I do have two optical drives, plus a spare laying around, so I guess I could commit the old beat-up DVD drive to Region 2 (which I'd normally prefer to avoid because I have discs from Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6).

Does having a drive with a matching region really help AnyDVD generate the correct keys? I seem to recall years ago putting a Region 2 "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" into a Region 1 drive. It took a few minutes, but AnyDVD seemed to eventually brute force its way through, and I don't recall any other scan ever taking as long.

Yes, with a matching region, the drive is already up retrieve the correct decryption keys in seconds. Without them anydvd needs to brute Force guess/crack them, which may not always work depending on how much info or has to work with on the specific video file. If this fails, this then results in the warning you're seeing

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I did it, and I would be very happy to share the keys. Does AnyDVD automatically upload newly discovered keys to the on-line database, or ought I upload them here?

No such need for DVD's, they're stored in your local archive. Css isn't the same as AACS for Blu-ray (although or does perform a similar function)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Does having a drive with a matching region really help AnyDVD generate the correct keys?
Yes. Hint: AnyDVD can export and import CSS keys. So if you know someone with a region 2 drive ...

Back