As the title thread states, 22.214.171.124 is still stalling for long periods of time. During this time task manager shows NO network activity. I did get ONE retry for fragment message in the log, but other than that, nothing from start to finish (that's the log you can see on screen). This title was using a vpn, (but others that have done the same thing haven't used one). This was a 1:58 min movie that took just under 3 hours to finally finish. While this one did finish, others have not, and I've had to abort. For me, this issue is becoming increasingly more frequent. I can watch the titles in a browser (Both with a vpn or not) - without freezing or buffering. One thing I have noticed, is that some titles are more prone to this happening than others - like the server node streaming it (probably not the correct term) is slower than some of the other nodes or something, Some titles just will NOT d/l and I've given up. AS just doesn't seem to realize that it's stalled. The 2nd title for today (currently in progress) has been sitting at 31% for almost 30 mins (no network activity via task manager). So I C&P'd the video link into a browser and it d/l'd without issue without making any changes to the current settings (even on a vpn). This seemed to stoke AS into action and it showed network activity again (probably a coincidence) for a minute or so (now 34%) and it has now been stalled again for the last 15 mins. The onscreen log shows nothing. Update: so after 25 mins @34% AS suddenly just started some network activity again. So far this title has taken 1 hour to get in 39% for a 1:45 hour title @ 2x speed. I sincerely hope this is an issue that can be resolved. One day to get one or two titles is not very user friendly.