• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Software players with full Blu-ray menu support

probep

Which current software players have full Blu-ray menu support (including BD-J)?

I know some of them:
1. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre;
2. CyberLink PowerDVD;
3. Corel/sMedio WinDVD (no BDMV folders support);
4. Nero Blu-ray Player;
5. DVDFab Media Player (no BD3D support), powered by XBMC;
6. Leawo Blu-ray Player (no BD3D support), powered by XBMC.

Which else?

Maybe Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player, too.

IIRC Aiseesoft was one of the Chinese rip-off products that came with a hidden cracked AnyDVD.
Don't know their player, but you can bet that under the hood it's som XMBC or so...

It also should be noted that DVDFab Media Player still has a lot of trouble with some BD-J menu's, some don't load or are clunky/broken (even with V2) so it probably doesn't belong on the "full menu support" list.

Although in fairness what started from XBMC, is now way beyond what XBMC/libbluray were/are capable of, but still not close to TMT/PDVD yet.

but probably still because it relies on an outdated version of xmbc. (freeware) and stolen code is stolen code.

but probably still because it relies on an outdated version of xmbc. (freeware) and stolen code is stolen code.

I don't think it's that, XBMC's menu support is terrible, even some HDMV menus don't work correctly let alone java menus, same goes for the latest libbluray project, neither are close to the DVDFab player (which now looks like a PDVD/TMT UI rip off ;))

Last edited:
It's open-source code, which can be reused (even in commercial software) with proper attribution and/or source code posting as required by the appropriate license. Though I don't know enough about the rules to say for certain if DVDFab complied with them, XBMC acknowledges in its own wiki that DVDFab Media Player is derived from XBMC source code -- listed alongside numerous other forks & derivatives of XBMC. That does not automatically mean it's "stolen code"; I wouldn't be surprised if JRiver Media Center also uses XBMC code for its BD menu support, and it's not listed by XBMC as a fork/derivative.

That said, for now only licensed players (TMT, PDVD, WinDVD & Nero) have full BD menu support, BD-J as well as HDMV. Those licenses also mean their current versions have Cinavia, presently managed by AnyDVD HD's "Cinavia fix" but subject to being broken again in any future player update; that's why development of unlicensed players with menus, including XBMC and its forks/derivatives (including, yes, even DVDFab), is so important as they should never have Cinavia. Unlike AACS & BD+, Cinavia support is not needed for playback; it's only required in licensed BD players because BDA licenses demand it. BD players that don't need no stinkin' BDA licenses don't need Cinavia either. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if JRiver Media Center also uses XBMC code for its BD menu support, and it's not listed by XBMC as a fork/derivative.

FYI - JRiver Media Center does not have any BD Menu Support (and hence does not use XBMC code). It instead relies on Nevcairiel's Filters to present a list of available titles and streams from which the user can choose. For the selected stream, it has some additional logic to select a default combination of Audio / Subtitle based on your LANG settings but on many BD you still need to hunt out the correct stream for the forced subs. The good news is you can create individual entries for your desired Playlists and MC will also remember what streams you select (so when you work out what sub track is the forced one it will be remembered for the next playback).

One day, it would be great to have a working Open Source Direct Show Menu filter that all players could leverage off.

Last edited:
Try VSO media player

I don't see full BD menu support listed as a feature on their home page. Am I not looking hard enough?

I'll try the free player, it certainly can't be any worse than VLC for playback, especially with BDs. If it can also give DVD menu support I sure won't complain either.

You don't list all PC BD players, you may check with BD+ association or AACS association to get PC software list, :D

You don't list all PC BD players, you may check with BD+ association or AACS association to get PC software list, :D

All other software players don't support BD-J menu at all. ;)

Macgo could play the full Blu-ray menu

I use Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player to play my new movie " Now You See Me" and it really display the full Blu-ray menu to me. Awesome!:clap:

Macgo is VLC with a skin and some extra features. They did add a BD menu system to it but is is there own menu system (similar to AnyDVD's speed menus), far from "full" menu support.

Macgo supports full Blu-ray menu

Macgo is VLC with a skin and some extra features. They did add a BD menu system to it but is is there own menu system (similar to AnyDVD's speed menus), far from "full" menu support.

It is not their own menu system any more. Actually, in the recent updated versions, the full Blu-ray menu function has been added.

Back