• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Software made in the USA?

DVD Decrypter was made by LIGHTNING UK! who has gone onto ImgBurn.

well imgburn is basically the burning bit of dvd decrypter - the only way he could continue development was taking out the decss stuff. but he was still a brit (uk) not a yank.

This thread is a load of FUD. You say AnyDVD is made in Antigua, but do you know where the devs are from?

europe somewhere as they changed from charging in dollars to euros to make paying them easier (and a better rate).

There are many programs out there made in the US which aren't crap. Do we have to go through each and every one?

well maybe list ONE :p

europe somewhere as they changed from charging in dollars to euros to make paying them easier (and a better rate).

Many companies are switching to the Euro because of the weakness of the American Dollar regardless of where they are located or where their employees originally came from. It's about economics.

Anyway, this discussion does have merit but let's please be respectful and civil.

O RLY? i guess this post over at club cdfreaks is wrong?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f85/nero-recode-dvd-shrink-167714/#post1285712

"Yes, Recode is an updated version of Shrink. However, there are some drawbacks:"

want more proof?
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showpost.php?p=252839&postcount=2

"There seems to be consensus that Recode works a bit quicker than DVD Shrink. They were written by the same person, so the code will be very similar."
The quote was in reply to the developer of DVD Shrink going to work for Ahead. There is no proof of that so far.

well imgburn is basically the burning bit of dvd decrypter - the only way he could continue development was taking out the decss stuff. but he was still a brit (uk) not a yank.
That's for sure.

well maybe list ONE :p
DVD Rebuilder PRO.

:doh:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/nero_recode_v2_preview.cfm

Ahead Software has expanded their Nero product line aggressively to new market segments. The Nero 6 Platinum package promises to offers just about anything one needs for audio and video storing. Nero Recode is their latest addition. It is a DVD to DVD-R video backup program, which is supposed to challenge products like DVDXCopy and CloneDVD. Ahead Software has played it safe, since they acquired some expertise by hiring the developer of DVD Shrink for the project. Besides DVD transcoding, the Recode can also squeeze movies into MPEG-4 Nero Digital –format, which is very similar to Divx. This review is based on a beta version 1.9.9.14 and we will mostly concentrate in the DVD transcoding features.

There is still no proof. I have seen many, many posts like that. But nothing 100% factual that cannot be passed off as heresay.

Anyway, this thread is going off topic.

Indeed, it is going off-topic. :policeman:

This is about USA software not the Solve the mystery of where the DVD Shrink author is from and where he went as well as did he get hired by Nero to code Recode? thread. :p

So... back to the original thread...

There is still no proof. I have seen many, many posts like that. But nothing 100% factual that cannot be passed off as heresay.

Anyway, this thread is going off topic.

The "topic" Is General Chat: So move it to 3rd party products or stop whining. In a healthy forum threads meander where the participants see fit. It's human nature at it's best - though the result is not always predictable or "managed".

But anyway, I can shed no light on the national origens of DVDShrink. I can ASSURE you that the Nero Recode indeed includes the "base code" of Shrink. A simple registry check reveals all to the wise.
It's "dumbed down", perhaps a bit faster, has a couple less features, and cannot deal with ANY copy protections (as Shrink once could). But Recode is indeed Shrink in sheeps clothing. For sure................

-W

Last edited:
I don't care where it's made, as long as it runs on my pc w/o adware or spyware.

Crappy coders come from EVERYWHERE. My company has offices in many countries and I see good and bad code from all the offices.

:agree:

I don't care where it's made, as long as it runs on my pc w/o adware or spyware.

Crappy coders come from EVERYWHERE. My company has offices in many countries and I see good and bad code from all the offices.

:agree:

Same here :agree:. As long as it serves its function well, i'll use it regardless of where it comes from.

Back