• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Software made in the USA?

BDMinus

Are any good software made in the US? just a short list of programs people seem to like.

1) Anydvd - antigua
2) Clonedvd/mobile/vcd - switzerland
3) Nero - germany
4) the 'other' dvd copier - china
5) Convertxtodvd - france
6) Powerdvd - taiwan
7) Windvd - canada

makes you wonder where all the US coders are.

Edit: found one, TMT made by arcsoft is HQ'd in the US. For multinational companies i'm counting where the HQ is.

Last edited:
Nope, ArcSoft (TMT) is developed in China.

Well, Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, Apple, Google, Symantec, Sonic/Roxio are all American companies. Sony Media Software (maker of Vegas) probably too. Basically all 'big' software is made in the USA.

All good developers are non-Americans. I can't even imagine a good American programmer.

This is another issue. I understand that half (if not more) of programmers in companies I listed above are non-Americans. But still, many of them studied in American universities.

This is another issue. I understand that half (if not more) of programmers in companies I listed above are non-Americans. But still, many of them studied in American universities.

i doubt they went to american universities, that's part of the reason they are better coders!

the reason most multimedia software isn't written in america is the crud like dmca and corporations like the riaa/mpaa owning the politicians.

i used to work in the states (i'm english) for a multinational and the boss used to say the russians are the best mathematicians, the british the best programmers and the americans he'd save for marketing and legal.

listing companies like sony and microsoft as examples of good coders is quite funny though!

Sony Media Software (maker of Vegas) probably too.

For those who still remember, Sony Media took over Sonic Foundry and acquired Sound Forge, Acid Pro, and Vegas in the process.

Paint Shop Pro was made by JASC which was originally a company from Minnesota until Corel took it over.

It seems over the years a bunch of great companies were gobbled up by bigger ones. Of course that's how things work but it's just unfortunate.

Last edited:
So you gonna tell us - or do we play 20 questions? :D

-W

For a moment I thought DVDFab was made in the US, but its actually China. As for DVDShrink, their website is registered privately through Go Daddy (via proxy) and their IP address traces back to Houston, Texas. I still think that they were US based.

Last edited:
Perhaps it goes without saying but the good stuff is offshore and the drm crap is US. The land of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is quickly becoming the land of existing and not living, drm and general suckiness. But i still wouldn't live anywhere else.

i though dvdshrink was written by a british or german guy (or was the brit dvd decrypter?) who got hired by ahead to work on nero recode.

the website was taken down using the dmca as it was hosted in the usa.

All good developers are non-Americans. I can't even imagine a good American programmer.
wow, if that wasn't irony you just insulted a lot of americans...
And no, i'm neither american, british, nor particularly anglophile.

i used to work in the states (i'm english) for a multinational and the boss used to say the russians are the best mathematicians, the british the best programmers and the americans he'd save for marketing and legal.
As an IT professional I really think this is a stereotypical view.

listing companies like sony and microsoft as examples of good coders is quite funny though!
Actually M$ hires a lot of talented programmers (some just sell their soul for money). IMHO what stands out as negative example is their politics rather than their coding...

It wouldn't surprise me if they recruit really good programmers to keep them away from the competition or from being competition. like the guy who made dvd shrink went to work for ahead and made nero recode, at least thats what I read somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if they recruit really good programmers to keep them away from the competition or from being competition. like the guy who made dvd shrink went to work for ahead and made nero recode, at least thats what I read somewhere.
Nope.

i though dvdshrink was written by a british or german guy (or was the brit dvd decrypter?) who got hired by ahead to work on nero recode.
DVD Decrypter was made by LIGHTNING UK! who has gone onto ImgBurn.

This thread is a load of FUD. You say AnyDVD is made in Antigua, but do you know where the devs are from? There are many programs out there made in the US which aren't crap. Do we have to go through each and every one?

Back