• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft's Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

I was thinking about the likelihood of my ordering a new LTL. Then I realised that RedFox is, essentially taking SlySoft's property (in the form of the latest update's complete code) and basically since there was no one to say "hey, thief!" RedFox gets to start off right where SlySoft was forced to stop. I am not saying that RedFox shouldn't be able to do this, in fact the only time I begin to have a problem with any of this is that RedFox expects to be paid twice for SlySoft's initial development. I suppose it is a bit like karma saying "you got free copies for years. Now someone pirated the software that makes it all possible and, (no offense intended) the new "owners" are treating their treasure as a version of ransomware—taking advantage of the varying definition of "lifetime."

As I said, I am virtually certain that I will purchase a new LTL, I would just feel better if it was sold as a "Lifetime* License" so at least there was a recognition of what really happened and the fact that Lifetime might not refer to the buyer's lifetime... I hope this is taken in the spirit of "let's be honest" and not as an insult. Just food for thought.

They're not taking it as their version of ransomware. Why the staff did what they did, the staff was owed back pay so they took what they developed as payment when slysoft was shut down.

The definition will still be the same. As long as redfox will exist, the license will be valid. Can we leave it at that?

Like I said, I'm almost certainly going to purchase a new LTL and I admit that ransomware was perhaps a bit over the top. I just think if I'm going to be asked to pay for something, that the complete truth of what I'm getting for my money. If the programmers were owed funds, I'd say they deserve them, but I'm just a fan of transparency. Again, this isn't a complaint or any other attack on the people who will hopefully continue to improve the software. I'm just asking for a line item next to the price that represents what I am truly paying for. Who knows...it might quiet some of the more vocal and less polite voices,

Hi great to have you aboard, you will get the same receipt as everyone else. Thanks for your business.

No worries, you're right they deserve the funds. But they weren't going to get them since slysoft got shut down along with the funds. Hope you got the answer you were looking for.

—taking advantage of the varying definition of "lifetime." <snip> I would just feel better if it was sold as a "Lifetime* License" so at least there was a recognition of what really happened and the fact that Lifetime might not refer to the buyer's lifetime... I hope this is taken in the spirit of "let's be honest" and not as an insult.

After I thought about it a bit - the definition of "lifetime" never really varied at all.
Even before this ever happened, we all knew (or should have reasoned) that if Slysoft ever shut down, or was forced by the "The Man" to shut down, that AnyDVD would die.
The "free updates until forever" was always predicated on the company even existing to make the updates. It was always "Slysoft's lifetime" that was really in play here.
Without continual updates, AnyDVD "must" die a slow death. And without the old Devs who wrote the old code - AnyDVD (code and all) would be soon nearly worthless anyway for new releases.
Simple logic gets us there. In all likely hood AnyDVD should be dead NOW. (or so the The Man [MPAA] hoped!).

So by whatever means, and whatever reasoning, the old Slysoft development team (who always had the code in hand) retained said code when Giancarlo Bettini was forced to fold up shop and move on.
That's all that's important to us - because without James, Peer, and company, AnyDVD would be a steaming pile of ****, I mean code. :D
The situation was dire and required a bold move - and these guys took their shot. These people have risked an income and their own savings to keep this project alive.
Yes - the whole situation sucks. But given the alternative of AnyDVD going away forever - I'm willing to take a chance on these guys that took all the big chances.
They've take every precaution to avoid going the way of Slysoft. That's all we can hope and ask for. You buy your ticket - you take the ride.

-W

PS: Conclusion: Redfox is not "The Man" sticking it to us.
However, with ours and Redfox's combined power, We all can stick it to the man!
Personally? I'm proud to have paid today. Now I'm a part of the "larger conspiracy" to stick it to the man - and break it off deep inside. <EG>

Last edited:
I appreciate the comments and thoughts, and for allowing a question/comment (especially on this easily contentious topic) to continue to its conclusion. Thanks, guys.

You posted civilly and respectfully. I'm glad to share thoughts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back