• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slysoft Closed thread - bring some definitive closure

Releasing the source code is not an option in my opinion and would do more harm than good.
AnyDVD's main advantage was the 'bad guys' didn't know how the 'magic' was done. Personally, I'd rather keep it that way.

That's at best an argument in favor of not releasing the code for the Bluray component. DVDs aren't something that they can mess with to that extent. The discs still have to be readable in DVD players, which is a huge constraint on what they can and can't do to prevent people from ripping the discs. The whole standard was created based upon the assumption that disks wouldn't get large enough to allow people to rip the discs.

Look at the game crack crews if you think this is such a bad idea. The rate at which the crackers crack games is much faster than the rate at which the developers are able to prevent the cracks. And for media that's stored on read only memory, any copies already out in the wild can't be uncracked.

If they don't want to release the whole thing, fine, but at least release the code that allows circumvention of the region encoding. I don't see many options for avoiding that and it is something that's entirely used for using materials that are legally purchased.

Programmers and the people that know how it works are not salesmen. US Gov't is who stopped Slysoft, the business, in Antigua. The people that designed and update the program aren't owned by Slysoft. Don't see why they couldn't take their knowledge elsewhere, if situation is right for them. Check the article from Antiguan newspaper out, link in this thread.

That is what I'm getting at...since the OPD is apparently open for anyone to access, then whatever entity forced Slysoft to close did not obtain rights to the intellectual property (IP). If the physical offices are still under the control of ownership, then yes, the IP could be ported elsewhere. But nothing has been said by ownership, or the developers for that matter, on the nature of the take down. Perhaps NDAs were signed, who knows, but the fact that the OPD is apparently up and running, as are the other servers mentioned by James, is some good news for them. A complete a total raid would have meant the end of the IP forever. So, I guess the real issue is who has control over the IP? Perhaps someone will ask next week!

That is what I'm getting at...since the OPD is apparently open for anyone to access, then whatever entity forced Slysoft to close did not obtain rights to the intellectual property (IP). If the physical offices are still under the control of ownership, then yes, the IP could be ported elsewhere. But nothing has been said by ownership, or the developers for that matter, on the nature of the take down. Perhaps NDAs were signed, who knows, but the fact that the OPD is apparently up and running, as are the other servers, is some good news for them. A complete a total raid would have meant the end of the IP forever. So, I guess the real issue is who has control over the IP ? Perhaps someone will ask next week!
I already asked the question, and it was left without reply. I guess the silence is for the better at this stage.

I already asked the question, and it was left without reply due to no interest.

It is really the crux of the whole situation, but I'm thinking NDA's will not permit anyone to answer. If one knows the answer to this, then one knows if there will ever be a new version, updates, etc. There SHOULD BE interest.

Unless the IP is under the control of the usurping body and they were too stupid to notice the OPD...imagine that!

It is really the crux of the whole situation, but I'm thinking NDA's will not permit anyone to answer. If one knows the answer to this, then one knows if there will ever be a new version, updates, etc. There SHOULD BE interest.
Do NDA's take effect under a company that no longer exists? I wonder.

All i want is access to the OPD :) How, doesn't matter. Though as i previously stated an anydvd installer with it embedded would be a winner :) Eventually it won't work anymore with new releases and we'll have to look elsewhere :)

All i want is access to the OPD :) How, doesn't matter. Though as i previously stated an anydvd installer with it embedded would be a winner :) Eventually it won't work anymore with new releases and we'll have to look elsewhere :)
A temporary and incomplete solution, but better than what customers got now nevertheless.

All I want is to keep the great work on.

As I said, even if you just bought a license, I HIGHLY recommend scanning all your discs while the OPD is still accessible so you can cache the files needed to decrypt them in the future.

Here’s hoping that:

1. The server has been paid for a term, the longer the better.
2. The database updates automatically as users scan new discs.
3. There are enough users who know how to connect for adequate support in that regard.

Yesterday and today I scanned about 450 blu-ray discs on a fresh install, and AnyDVDHD 7.6.9.0 only had to go online for:

Fargo (remastered)
RoboCop (remastered)
Archer - Season 5
Support Your Local Sheriff / Support Your Local Gunfighter

We'll see. I just wanted to make sure that AnyDVD can decrypt every disc currently in my library. I have some new discs preordered and will have a few more later this year, but, I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Do NDA's take effect under a company that no longer exists? I wonder.

Absolutely..and in perpetuity. It is also not clear that Slysoft is LEGALLY no more. What is clear is that sales and support have stopped.

Anyone who has been fired from their job and gets a package will sign a NDA that stipulates that they will not provide others (except spouse, financial advisor, lawyer, etc) the details of the agreement. If you refuse to sign then you do not get a cash package. It is only speculation what happened with Slysoft, but a NDA here could stipulate no legal action if they cease and desist the selling and support of the program in question. But this would fly in the face of the OPD still being up and running and the ability to alter it to potentially provide support for new discs for a while. If the agreement is with Antigua, then there could be wiggle room, as the country has obviously not heeded requests in the past to do so.

Without a public disclosure of the events that happened, nobody will ever know. But it should intrigue everyone that sales and support have stopped, but the IP and assets (at least servers) still seem to be under the company's control, implying that the company, for now at least, is a going concern....only time will tell.

That is what I'm getting at...since the OPD is apparently open for anyone to access, then whatever entity forced Slysoft to close did not obtain rights to the intellectual property (IP). If the physical offices are still under the control of ownership, then yes, the IP could be ported elsewhere. But nothing has been said by ownership, or the developers for that matter, on the nature of the take down. Perhaps NDAs were signed, who knows, but the fact that the OPD is apparently up and running, as are the other servers mentioned by James, is some good news for them. A complete a total raid would have meant the end of the IP forever. So, I guess the real issue is who has control over the IP? Perhaps someone will ask next week!

There was no raid, this will tell you all you need to know regarding why things are what they are as of NOW........

http://antiguaobserver.com/antiguan-firm-slysoft-ceases-operations-as-us-pressure-builds/

Slysoft is done in Antigua, that's why I said whoever can update and maintain the program is really our best hope moving forward. Here's hoping they don't just give up.

Even with multiple drives the thought of inserting, waiting, etc, for every single Blu-ray disc I own is daunting. This will take time lots of it. And it means I need to dig them out of their storage. Having done a clean install of WIndows 10 in January means my cache is a joke. Ahem. I'm too old for this ****.

Thinking outside the box for a moment, it boggles the mind why Slysoft, a small player in the grand scheme of things, gets all the attention. There are tons of sites out there where you can stream content for shows...and I bet millions use it. I don't think millions use Slysoft products.

The more I think about it, the more I think the threat assessment of ACSS is that Slysoft will break ACSS2 in short order, and nobody else could. Hence the action. Again speculation in an internet world.

There was no raid, this will tell you all you need to know regarding why things are what they are as of NOW........

http://antiguaobserver.com/antiguan-firm-slysoft-ceases-operations-as-us-pressure-builds/

Slysoft is done in Antigua, that's why I said whoever can update and maintain the program is really our best hope moving forward. Here's hoping they don't just give up.

It doesn't say anything...it is just a beat report. Nothing about what legally happened or what happened with the IP or assets, which is what people should be concerned about (NOW has already happened). The program cannot be "updated" as you say without the intellectual property. Without it, they could move to Russia and not be able to do anything. Geography is the least of the concerns.

Last edited:

I think this is the best we can hope for, and I am certainly hoping for it.

I'm hoping they just move. This has happened to other so called illegal businesses and many of them did just that. Do the owners want to just throw in the towel and live comfortably in the Caribbean?

What about the developers and programmers who just spent years perfecting CloneBD to all of a sudden find themselves unemployed? They are the one's who matter, they know the technology, they can keep it going.

Hey Ron, this says nothing??

Antigua & Barbuda may no longer have to fear being placed on a US Priority Watch List after the Antigua based company at the centre of the dispute shut down its website and ceased sales.

A group of major Hollywood studios and technology partners last week had asked the US government to intervene to stop the Antigua based firm SlySoft selling its Blu-ray ripping software AnyDVD.

The firms seeking to have the US put pressure on the country included, Warner Bros, Disney, Microsoft and Intel.

Kind of sums up why they went offline to me, and there's more, like US gov't pulling the strings with threats of above Watch List?? Apparently it means something to Antigua.

Says nothing about the forum or what already exists, like OPD......

CloneBD should continue just fine. It's neither a slysoft product (it's developed by Elaborate Bytes, completely different company), it also doesn't circumvent ANY type of copy protection. CloneBD is a 100% legal application which has been stated a couple times on the forum. They're in no danger of shutting down.

Back