• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slow Rip Speeds - Solved

Riptide

I've figured out my issue, but figured this might help someone else.

So I've been ripping discs for years and years now. My current computer build I've had for around 3 years, and have been using CloneDVD2 significantly over the past 5 months to rip hundreds of DVDs. Other than some movies with subtitles or that were very large, most dvds would rip to files in 6-15 minutes. I'm ripping them off of DVD to a 3TB hard drive. However over the last week or so rip times went to 22+ minutes for everything, and now have been hitting the 25-30 minute mark more often then not. I didn't think it was a space issue as I had 400-500 GBs remaining. However as that free space decreased (now around 350-400GB), the times were getting closer to 25-30 minutes a DVD. Not the end of the world... but annoying as **** when you're ripping 5-10 DVDs a day.

I've restarted my computer, checked my CPU usage (under 20%) and everything else I could think of - and there was no reason that I could think of as to why rip times were still taking a long time. Not knowing what else to try, I tried ripping the DVDs to another HD that had 900+ GB of free space. The moment I did that, my rip times went back to 10-15 minutes a disc.

So despite having almost 100 times the space I would need for the file... space for some reason was still the issue. Not sure why as I've only recently switched to larger HDs (used to use 500GB to 1TB) as I copied media to discs before. But now that I'm copying it to movie files I've found myself needing a lot more space, and this was one of the complications that popped up, and I figured that I'd share my solution.

I ran into the same situation a couple of years ago using 500 gb to 1 tb drives as dvd storage.
A drive would get to about 65 t0 80 % full and rip time would increase significantly.
On a whim, I ran chkdsk/r/f first, and then defrag against one of the offending drives,
After these operations, the rip times to that drive returned to previous values.
Of course as you are aware, this will be only temporary, as the bucket fills quite rapidly.
Time for a home cloud server.
Art.

I think most that use copier software already knows you need space more then the movie and not a location where you used to prevent slow copies or coasters or bad backup images. I never used the same drive to rip to. I have a Desktop with multiple drives that it copies to when doing this process and if it is a laptop to not use it when it is doing the copy and to many multitasking on a single computer will also cause slow backup and worse make coasters. What your saying was more or less known by those that copy and make backups already it was a unspoken reference that you need space time and CPU when doing backup and using the same system to do your everyday task without enough buffers was asking for trouble. I myself learn of this long time ago when starting out and having Coasters and backup playback issues a expensive but learning curve.

Back