• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slow Burning Problem

Tech2

Hope someone can "HELP" me with a problem of burning at a slow rate, I have heard some people say that a movie they were burning took them about 20 minutes (the movie was 160mins)to complete.

It took me the same movie 160 mins to burn, what is my problem, we have the same computer and the dvd burner/copier are the same.

My computer is a e-machine, Microsoft windows xp home edition, with a
Celeron CPU 1.70 GHz, 1.69GHz 512 mb of ram
We have removed the software and reloaded it several times. Still runs slow.

Can any one help.

Does this same DVD writer burn faster using different software ??

I'm asking because when someone complains about slow optical drive performance, I immediately suspect that the drive is operating in PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA.

Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, select the channel where drive is located, RightClick and you get a menu, Click Properties, Click Advanced Settings.

Does it say PIO or Ultra DMA (1-4) ? If PIO, you will need to Uninstall that half of the Channel. Then reboot and let Windows reinstall it. That is to say that Windows will see it as "New Hardware" so let it do it's thing. Go back to Device Manager and see if it went to Ultra DMA.

Tech2,
dano28 is correct about DMA vs PIO mode. Do what he suggested. But:
My computer is a e-machine, Microsoft windows xp home edition, with a
Celeron CPU 1.70 GHz, 1.69GHz 512 mb of ram
That computer of yours is not exactly the Seabiscuit of racy machines. You are rather light on processing power and the amount of RAM. How much unused space is left on your HDD? It may just be that you are getting the normal performance to be expected from your computer.

If, by saying
...It took me the same movie 160 mins to burn
what you really mean is the entire process (rip, transcode/compress, and burn) after you press the "GO" button in CloneDVD, your time may be normal for your not so super computer. The other people talking about a burn time of 20 minutes may be actually talking about the burn stage of a backup only ... and have faster rigs.

Whisperer

How do I uninstall half the channel, do I just delete this file?

How do I uninstall half the channel, do I just delete this file?
You have to know what channell your drive is connected too. Either your primary or secondary ide channel. I would think your secondary because ususally HDs are connected to the primary. When you right click on the secondary channell you will see , uninstall, you can do this and then reboot and your XP Home will recognize the secondary channel again and reinstall it.

Back