• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"Simulate connected 3D Display"

testiles

UHD Guru
Hey guys,

I have a question about the AnyDVD Blu-Ray setting "Simulate connected 3D Display".

My understanding was that this setting will allow you to play a 3-D movie on a 2-D player.

I've used it a lot and it has worked for me very well in playing 3-D content on PowerDVD 17 and sometimes on 18 on my 2-D only TV.

But in PowerDVD 20, it doesn't work at all.

All I get is a message from the movie saying a 3-D display is required.

I did find out that PDVD 20 doesn't support 3-D at all, from here...

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/f...media playback feature,PowerDVD 20 (or above).

... but I thought the whole point of the setting is that the Player does not need to support 3-D for it to work.

Did I get that wrong?

(BTW, in case you're wondering why I'm trying to play 3-D on my 2-D TV, it's because I found some titles only available in 3-D. )

T

Hey guys,

I have a question about the AnyDVD Blu-Ray setting "Simulate connected 3D Display".

My understanding was that this setting will allow you to play a 3-D movie on a 2-D player.
No, it does not. It "simulates a 3D display" (connected to a 3D capable player), as the name suggests.

I've used it a lot and it has worked for me very well in playing 3-D content on PowerDVD 17 and sometimes on 18 on my 2-D only TV.

But in PowerDVD 20, it doesn't work at all.

All I get is a message from the movie saying a 3-D display is required.

I did find out that PDVD 20 doesn't support 3-D at all, from here...

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24936#:~:text=The 3D media playback feature,PowerDVD 20 (or above).
But they left the "choose 3D display device" etc. settings in the program? Idiots.

... but I thought the whole point of the setting is that the Player does not need to support 3-D for it to work.

Did I get that wrong?
You did.
(BTW, in case you're wondering why I'm trying to play 3-D on my 2-D TV, it's because I found some titles only available in 3-D. )
Really? Usually you have either the 2D version on the same disc, or a second 2D only disc.
But to solve your problem, just enable ... drumroll ... AnyDVD speed menus. Happy watching!

No, it does not. It "simulates a 3D display" (connected to a 3D capable player), as the name suggests.

I guess what I'm missing is why the need to simulate a 3-D display if the display is already 3-D (capable).

Wouldn't you just play the 3-D disc normally and the display handles it?

I think there's something in the terminology I'm not getting.

But they left the "choose 3D display device" etc. settings in the program?

LOL.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Where do you see this setting, James?

Really? Usually you have either the 2D version on the same disc, or a second 2D only disc.

Nah, I've hunted down some esoteric titles, a lot of them about space exploration, that, if they ever offered them in 2D, they don't anymore.

I also once-upon-a-time used to think I would get a different/better look to a movie if I played the 3-D(converted to 2-D) version over the Blu-Ray, but I found out that's not true.

However it explains why I have things like Top Gun 3D, Jurassic Park 3D. Ofc these do have 2-D counterparts.

But to solve your problem, just enable ... drumroll ... AnyDVD speed menus.

Ok, so if I turn on SpeedMenu it will display the 3-D movie correctly in 2-D.

Cool!

I'll try that...

T

I guess what I'm missing is why the need to simulate a 3-D display if the display is already 3-D (capable).

Wouldn't you just play the 3-D disc normally and the display handles it?

I think there's something in the terminology I'm not getting.
Display != Player.
You have a 2D display (like all new TV sets available today) but a 3D Blu-ray player(!).
Yes, 3D capable PowerDVD allows you to playback a 3D movie in 2D. A regular player *will not*!

LOL.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Where do you see this setting, James?
PowerDVD Version 20.0.1519.62
Settings -> 3D Display -> ...

Certainly. If you have a 3D capable display chain (player & display) it will even ask, if you want to watch 2D or 3D.

Cool!

I'll try that...

@James works like a charm!!!

I lose the original Menu but at least it plays! (And a lot of these titles are just a movie anyway.)

I LOVE AnyDVD!!! (y)

PDVD 20, not so much. :ROFLMAO:

T

Display != Player.
You have a 2D display (like all new TV sets available today) but a 3D Blu-ray player(!).
Yes, 3D capable PowerDVD allows you to playback a 3D movie in 2D. A regular player *will not*!

I see now.

"Display" in this case, means the TV or Monitor, not what's shown visually in the Player.

Got it! Thanks.

PowerDVD Version 20.0.1519.62
Settings -> 3D Display -> ...

Hmmmm....

I have that version.

When I go into Setting, using the cogwheel icon upper-right of screen, I don't have that...

PDVD 20 settings.JPG

Certainly. If you have a 3D capable display chain (player & display) it will even ask, if you want to watch 2D or 3D.

Nice!!

Two quick points:

- I'm using unprotected .iso's that I made from the 3-D disc with the "Simulate 3-D" setting locked in.

Really glad I can turn on SpeedMenu's and it takes effect on the unprotected .iso's (I wasn't sure it would).

- I have "Preserve Original Menu" set at all times but a lot of these won't create the Original Menu. That in itself, no problem. But I'm glad you made the change to go forward and create the SpeedMenu anyway.

That way, no Setting changes are required.

Super!!

Thanks, James, for pointing me in the right direction.

T

And you are right, 3D Blu-ray playback does not work. PowerThing 20 identifies itself as a 2D-only player to the code on the disc.

Maybe they caught that in a recent update?

'Cause I don't have that...

PDVD 20 settings.JPG

And you are right, 3D Blu-ray playback does not work. PowerThing 20 identifies itself as a 2D-only player to the code on the disc.

I'm really regretting this upgrade to 20, more and more.

The only good thing I've gotten out of it is UHD play on my HDR TV using a nVidia GPU.

But it doesn't even do SDR conversion on the SDR Monitor connected to that nVidia.

And it is glitchy and flaky like you wouldn't believe!

I had said I would stop getting upgrades when 18 refused to play UHD on my Intel UHD-compatible Desktop (that works with 17).

Shouda followed my own advice.

T

Back