"Simulate connected 3D Display"

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by testiles, Jun 23, 2020.

1. testiles

testiles Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I have a question about the AnyDVD Blu-Ray setting "Simulate connected 3D Display".

My understanding was that this setting will allow you to play a 3-D movie on a 2-D player.

I've used it a lot and it has worked for me very well in playing 3-D content on PowerDVD 17 and sometimes on 18 on my 2-D only TV.

But in PowerDVD 20, it doesn't work at all.

All I get is a message from the movie saying a 3-D display is required.

I did find out that PDVD 20 doesn't support 3-D at all, from here...

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/f...media playback feature,PowerDVD 20 (or above).

... but I thought the whole point of the setting is that the Player does not need to support 3-D for it to work.

Did I get that wrong?

(BTW, in case you're wondering why I'm trying to play 3-D on my 2-D TV, it's because I found some titles only available in 3-D. )

T

2. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

No, it does not. It "simulates a 3D display" (connected to a 3D capable player), as the name suggests.

But they left the "choose 3D display device" etc. settings in the program? Idiots.

You did.
    Really? Usually you have either the 2D version on the same disc, or a second 2D only disc.
    But to solve your problem, just enable ... drumroll ... AnyDVD speed menus. Happy watching!

3. testiles

I guess what I'm missing is why the need to simulate a 3-D display if the display is already 3-D (capable).

Wouldn't you just play the 3-D disc normally and the display handles it?

I think there's something in the terminology I'm not getting.

LOL.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Where do you see this setting, James?

Nah, I've hunted down some esoteric titles, a lot of them about space exploration, that, if they ever offered them in 2D, they don't anymore.

I also once-upon-a-time used to think I would get a different/better look to a movie if I played the 3-D(converted to 2-D) version over the Blu-Ray, but I found out that's not true.

However it explains why I have things like Top Gun 3D, Jurassic Park 3D. Ofc these do have 2-D counterparts.

Ok, so if I turn on SpeedMenu it will display the 3-D movie correctly in 2-D.

Cool!

I'll try that...

T

4. James

Display != Player.
    You have a 2D display (like all new TV sets available today) but a 3D Blu-ray player(!).
    Yes, 3D capable PowerDVD allows you to playback a 3D movie in 2D. A regular player *will not*!

PowerDVD Version 20.0.1519.62
    Settings -> 3D Display -> ...

Certainly. If you have a 3D capable display chain (player & display) it will even ask, if you want to watch 2D or 3D.

5. testiles

@James works like a charm!!!

I lose the original Menu but at least it plays! (And a lot of these titles are just a movie anyway.)

I LOVE AnyDVD!!! (y)

PDVD 20, not so much. :ROFLMAO:

T

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  6. testiles

I see now.

"Display" in this case, means the TV or Monitor, not what's shown visually in the Player.

Got it! Thanks.

Hmmmm....

I have that version.

When I go into Setting, using the cogwheel icon upper-right of screen, I don't have that...

PDVD 20 settings.JPG

Nice!!

Two quick points:

- I'm using unprotected .iso's that I made from the 3-D disc with the "Simulate 3-D" setting locked in.

Really glad I can turn on SpeedMenu's and it takes effect on the unprotected .iso's (I wasn't sure it would).

- I have "Preserve Original Menu" set at all times but a lot of these won't create the Original Menu. That in itself, no problem. But I'm glad you made the change to go forward and create the SpeedMenu anyway.

That way, no Setting changes are required.

Super!!

Thanks, James, for pointing me in the right direction.

T

7. James

In "preferences":
    upload_2020-6-23_21-13-8.png

8. James

9. James

And you are right, 3D Blu-ray playback does not work. PowerThing 20 identifies itself as a 2D-only player to the code on the disc.

10. testiles

Maybe they caught that in a recent update?

'Cause I don't have that...

PDVD 20 settings.JPG

I'm really regretting this upgrade to 20, more and more.

The only good thing I've gotten out of it is UHD play on my HDR TV using a nVidia GPU.

But it doesn't even do SDR conversion on the SDR Monitor connected to that nVidia.

And it is glitchy and flaky like you wouldn't believe!

I had said I would stop getting upgrades when 18 refused to play UHD on my Intel UHD-compatible Desktop (that works with 17).

Shouda followed my own advice.

T

whatever_gong82 likes this.