• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Sector CRC errors during DVD rip when there shouldn't be -- and the resulting ISO plays perfectly.

mbarnstijn

Apologies for putting some of this in the HD thread while reporting Screenpass issues with the same box set.

The title is Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at the BBC (1968-1989). There are 13 discs: 11 Blu-rays and 2 DVDs. The contents are relatively short films or TV episodes, so that there are multiple films on every disc. There are a couple of the films that run 90 minutes to 2 hours, but still there are more than one per disc. I'm going to attach log files for the problematic DVD discs.

I suspect one DVD has deliberate CRC errors baked into sectors that are NOT removed by AnyDVD, so that an ISO copy has many, many sector read errors. If I set ImgBurn to ignore all read errors, I get an ISO that had many dozen ignored read errors, but which plays all content without a single skip, blip or flaw. This is the disc called HALF_HOUR_STORY. I am also including a log file for the second DVD, as a comparison point. I don't think it has extra CRC errors because there was no issue ripping it.

Is there a problem with the HALF_HOUR_STORY DVD, and do you need any more information from me? I own this box set and I can do any kind of analysis you would like on the contents.

Cheers,

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.3.1_Info_M_HALF_HOUR_STORY.ziplog
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • AnyDVD_8.0.3.1_Info_M_BAAL.ziplog
    686.8 KB · Views: 0
Is this the set at hand?

Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dissent-Disruption-Ltd-13-disc-blu-ray/dp/B01BGX1BK2

Issue: Do NOT use the anydvd ISO ripper on DVD's, anyDVD gives a warning for a reason! If you must have an ISO use CloneDVD's iso option. You can trial it if need be. However the half hour story logfile does NOT show any problem at all. There's no read errors in it whatsoever, no problematic filters, nothing. Just succesful decryption, doubt it's a protection issue if there's even an issue at all as that set was released about 2 months ago.

Is this the set at hand?

Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dissent-Disruption-Ltd-13-disc-blu-ray/dp/B01BGX1BK2

Issue: Do NOT use the anydvd ISO ripper on DVD's, anyDVD gives a warning for a reason! If you must have an ISO use CloneDVD's iso option. You can trial it if need be. However the half hour story logfile does NOT show any problem at all. There's no read errors in it whatsoever, no problematic filters, nothing. Just succesful decryption, doubt it's a protection issue if there's even an issue at all as that set was released about 2 months ago.

Yes, that's the box set I'm talking about.

I used ImgBurn, not the AnyDVD ISO ripper or CloneDVD. I understand what you say about doubting it's a protection issue. However, it's the only DVD I have that has ever had CRC errors when using ImgBurn + AnyDVD to make an ISO copy. I am a persistent fellow (must be my Dutch heritage) and set ImgBurn to ignore all CRC errors since I had already viewed the DVD on my computer without encountering any playback issues. So it is very strange to me that there are dozens of sector CRC errors when all (and I do mean all) of the disc content plays without issues on my computer. How there could be CRC errors when making an ISO image? And when I had that ISO image, again the entire contents of the image played back without any glitches at all.

The only thing I could think of is that there are deliberate CRC error sectors that are somehow not in any of the known-to-AnyDVD structures but exist only to mess up a one-to-one bit copy of the disc. This is why I was thinking that this is a new twist on the old CRC error protection mechanism?

Cheers,

--michael

I know about Dutch persistence, Belgian myself and stubborn is my middle name :p ;-) (who you think is responsible for the Dutch translation :p ) see if the anydvd ripper 'rip video disc to hdd' works without errors. You can then always turn that folder into an ISO. The sector read errors may be ImgBurn seeing the protection mechanism. Read errors (whether they'd be actual bad sectors or protection related simulated bad sectors) will ALWAYS show up in the logfile. It's then up to the devs to know if it's a bad disc or protection. However in your logfile there are NO errors one way or another! I doubt there's any actual issue.

Well, I tried the AnyDVD ripper 'rip video disc to hdd' and got an error. See the attached screenshot.

AnyDVD HalfHourStory copy error.png

Then I tried CloneDVD2.

AnyDVD HalfHourStory CloneDVD2 error.png

And yet I can still watch this DVD, and in fact I can play back the entire VTS_12_1.VOB file in MPC-HC x64 (latest rev) without any sector errors.

This is confusing to me!o_O Why can I play this disc on my computer but not copy it?

Cheers,

--michael

It could be that there are still some protected area's but that they fall into a trailer for example. A developer will need to take a look. Very strange.

This particular DVD has six short half-hour TV episodes on it, a menu to get at them and turn subtitles on and off, and nothing else. Of course, there are a couple of short tracks containing production company animated logos, and the usual short disclaimers and notices. But I've watched them all on my Windows 7 PC, with AnyDVD active, and with AnyDVD unloaded, without encountering any playback errors.

This one is very peculiar, and I say that having used AnyDVD for a decade on thousands of purchased DVDs. I would be willing to ship the disc to the developers so they can look at it and see what they make of this nonsense.

I have BFI sending me a new copy of the disc, because I thought it was a bad disc when the rip encountered sector CRC errors. Then I realized that I could play the silly thing straight from the DVD drive and then I allowed the rip to ignore errors and got a fully playable ISO. So we will see what's different, or not, on the replacement disc. They found me a "check disc" so that they wouldn't have to open a full box set to extract one disc for my replacement. I'll receive it early next week.

Cheers,

--michael

There's no need to send your set in, since you confirmed the link i posted above is the right one. If need be, the dev's will pick it up from there :)

I just downloaded 8.0.3.2 beta from the sandbox at the top of this forum section. I am happy to report that this new beta fixes the DVD rip problem I reported above. I have fully ripped the problem DVD in the exact same drive and with the same ripping software (ImgBurn) and encountered no CRC errors of any kind. That new Sony ARccOS support must be what did the trick. The AnyDVD status window for the disc reported more bad sector protections removed than did 8.0.3.1.

Thank you to the developers!

Cheers,

--michael

Back