• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

script files and temp files

imcatinhiding

when ripping to hard drive would it be faster to move the script and temp files to a different drive from what Anydvd is located on? trying to figure out what would be the best way to go.
thanks

None at all, AnyDVD has almost zero impact on rip speed. That's down to how fast the optical drive provide the decrypted data for the hard disk to write.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

None at all, AnyDVD has almost zero impact on rip speed. That's down to how fast the optical drive provide the decrypted data for the hard disk to write.

Ch3vron, that's good to know.

I had a similar question for CloneBD, whether it matters if Source/ Temp/ Destination files are on the same drive(s), but I guess I'll post that in the CloneBD Forum....

T

There's no need, whether AnyDVD does the ripping to HDD or Clonebd, the effect is the same. Negligible. The only possible way it MIGHT have a SMALL impact is if the rip is already on the HDD and you read from and write to that same HDD (SSD's definitely won't be impacted unless perhaps sata based ones).

When you compress directly from the optical drive and write to a HDD, then the HDD will be able to keep up but the processing might be slower because the GPU (if you use one) would be able to process the data faster than the optical drive could provide it. In this case the ODD would be the bottleneck, not the HDD.

There's no need, whether AnyDVD does the ripping to HDD or Clonebd, the effect is the same. Negligible. The only possible way it MIGHT have a SMALL impact is if the rip is already on the HDD and you read from and write to that same HDD (SSD's definitely won't be impacted unless perhaps sata based ones).

When you compress directly from the optical drive and write to a HDD, then the HDD will be able to keep up but the processing might be slower because the GPU (if you use one) would be able to process the data faster than the optical drive could provide it. In this case the ODD would be the bottleneck, not the HDD.

I always use an .iso as the Source to CloneBD per your suggestion from a long time ago :=).

Ok, so if I understand what you're saying, if I have my Source .iso for CloneBD on the same HD as the Output there may be a hit in performance -- unless they are on an SSD.

What about having your CloneBD temp directory defined to be on the same HD as the Source .iso?

Or temp directory on the same HD as the Output.

And finally all 3, Source .iso, temp directory and Output on the same HD or SSD?

Or do you think it's better, as a general rule of thumb, to have all 3 on different HD's?

T

Whether its a temp directory or the final output file/directory is irrelevant. You'd still be reading and writing to the same drive. That said, most modern drives (whether HDD or SSD) can keep up with reading and writing from the same drive. You shouldn't notice any slowdown really unless your encoding and doing more resources demanding tasks on that drive too

Whether its a temp directory or the final output file/directory is irrelevant. You'd still be reading and writing to the same drive. That said, most modern drives (whether HDD or SSD) can keep up with reading and writing from the same drive. You shouldn't notice any slowdown really unless your encoding and doing more resources demanding tasks on that drive too

Hmmm, that's interesting.

Guess I can stop juggling HDs used by CloneBD then.

Ok, thanks.

T

The main thing reading and writing to/from the same drive will do is increase wear & tear on the drive's motor and more heat production. But that's about it.

The main thing reading and writing to/from the same drive will do is increase wear & tear on the drive's motor and more heat production. But that's about it.

Ok.

Ch3vron, I hope you don't mind but I would really like to know if the CloneBD developers agree.

It's not that I doubt what you say as I'm sure it's absolutety correct, but there may be something unique to CloneBD's processing that the app does better if those three items, Source (HD for .iso or folder), Temp Directory, and Destination are different.

Maybe @Reto or @Fabian can confirm -- and put my mind to rest (lol)?

T

Well, since there is no further word on this, I guess @Ch3vron you're right that CloneBD doesn't care about those Source/Temp/Output files and folders sharing a single HD.

Good to know.

Thanks,

T

Back