• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samsung Galaxy S7 vs S7 Edge

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Soon it will be time for me to upgrade from my current Samsung Galaxy S5. I generally skip a generation and give my phones 2 years which is pretty much the acceptable EOL for Android updates by cellphone carriers in the US. Surprisingly, I actually did manage to get Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) which I never expected.

So, my question here is for those people with either the S7 or S7 Edge I'm trying to decide which phone I want. I like the screen size of the S5 and the S7 effectively the same. The S7 Edge is bigger. Is the Edge larger enough to be an annoyance? Are their annoyances that make it not worth having in the screen design, etc? I could likely easily just go to the S7 and be happy but if I'm spending the money anyway then I would prefer to go with the better overall phone.

So, opinions? Comments? Please feel free to share them all.

PS: I'm not interested in other phones or other brands. So a recommendation for another product isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks.

The 7 is a few months away from getting an 8. That said, I've never been a fan of those custom skins and they're even more difficult to root.

The 7 is a few months away from getting an 8. That said, I've never been a fan of those custom skins and they're even more difficult to root.

Where I am the best option is Verizon and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I stopped rooting phones and using CyanogenMod back when I had the Galaxy S3. Unlocking the bootloader and then rooting was doable but just not worth the hassle at the end of the day. I have enough other things to worry about. I use Nova for the launcher which does enough tweaking for my liking these days. Not a real fan of Samsung's UI customization but it's tolerable.

Yes, I could wait for the 8 but I can upgrade at a reduced cost ($245 for the S7 which retails at ~$670) and keep my now grandfathered cheaper plan when I renew my existing contract. The S7 Edge would be a bit more but still way way below retail cost.

Back