• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

+RW plays fine, +R does not

dbh4

I've burned many disks successfully using clonedvd2 & anydvd but in the last month I've run into something I've never seen b4.
I normally burn to verbatim +RW 1st & if everything ok & i like it will then burn to verbatim +R.

twice in the last month I've found where the +RW plays fine but the +R has freeze problems when played in my toshiba player/recorder. The bad +R plays fine in my computer but I've noticed computers are way more forgiving than component players.

Both disks had multiple 22 minute episodes, the 1st one 8, the 2nd one 5. the 1st time this happened I figured a bad disk & burned another +R but got the exact same result.

Has anybody come across this or have an idea whats going on?

Your drive could be slowly dying, the laser is getting out of alignment. The burn speed you use for your +R blanks could also be a factor, if you are burning at or close the rated speed of the blanks.

I have 2 toshiba player/recorders. the 1 i use for recording is 4 years old the 1 as a player is 1 year. same freeze symtoms in both.

The verbatim +R's are 16x & the +RW's are 4x. I burn the slowest possible, I think it's 2.8x, cause I really hate coasters.

It could be a laser I suppose but I burn & play a lot of disks & these are the only 2 freezers, about a month apart. A lot have played fine in between.

it could also be that you burn the +R's TOO slow, afaik the lowest rated speed is 4x, not 2.8

The +Rs may be rated for 16x but your drive may be sensing them differently. And 2.4x is far too slow, especially for the +Rs, 4x would be better for both disc types.

Imgburn (free program, btw) has a great feature called Automatic Write Speed that informs you what the drive is telling Windows it can burn blanks at, based on the hard-coded media ID of the blank.

For instance: in my HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 XP02 DVD burner drive Taiyo Yuden -R blanks (media ID: TYG02) are burnable at 4x and 8x speeds, yet in my ATAPI iHBS112 2 CL0K Bluray burner the speeds are 6x and 8x. Burning at any speed not listed increases the chances of creating a coaster.

With another drive (ATAPI DVD A DH24AYL ZP5W) on another computer the -R blanks can be burned at 4x, 6x, 8x and 12x. Each drive can allow for different burn speeds.

This is also a symptom of a dirty laser in the burning drive. It takes a lot less laser power to change the dye phase on an RW disk than to burn a +R. Slim drives on laptops are especially prone to inadvertent finger prints on the laser.

Back