Rookie question

Discussion in 'CloneCD' started by camperxl, Jun 13, 2007.

1. camperxl

camperxl Well-Known Member

Excuse my naivete, but if CloneCD makes perfect 1:1 copies of discs why when I try backing up my game disc am I asked for the original disc by the program after launching? If it's 1:1 shouldn't it look identical to the game? Does it somehow miss copying this "special code" Also aside from using Gamejackel is there a way to do what I'm describing above?

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

With some exceptions . . .

Newer game protections, such as the latest Securerom require some type of emulation.

3. camperxl

camperxl Well-Known Member

Again back to my original question... Shouldn't a 1:1 copy include this game protection code? It basically still seems like I'm screwed if my original disc dies - so it's isn't truly a backup is it?

4. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

copy protection(s) are not copied.if you can copy copy protection then there's no point in having copy protection on a disc.

5. Webslinger

Depends on the protection on the disc. For some discs, they are 1:1: backups. But not for all.

6. Webslinger

Yes, they are. Clonecd does backup some safedisc protected games including the copy protection.

7. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

thats good to know.
    i sort of went off track-i was thinking about macrovision,arccos etc... protections on video dvd's.

8. Webslinger

Not all discs can be backed up without some kind of emulation. This is true of all commercial products that I'm aware of including Alcohol 120% and Blindwrite.