• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ROM Mark

mike_9000

Hi, I was wondering what Slysoft had to say about another protection on Blu-ray discs called ROM Mark. Can it be broken :)?

Depends on what you understand on broken?! If you mean you can rip your movies to harddrive this should not be any problem for Slysoft. If you want to burn them back as a BD-ROM and want to play them back in a new player it would be very difficult I don't want to say impossible but lets say almost impossible. But there should be an easy solution for this. Build an HTPC.I don't think they will implement this stuff in the Pc drives if yes than this will be the death of Blu ray because than everybody will buy HDDVD.(what everybody should do anyway). I don't know what will happen to the drives which are already out if they get an new firmware or will be just useless but lets see what Slysoft says to this my anwser is just guessing.....

Last edited:
ROM mark (like HDCP) is only checked if the disc has AACS which anydvd removes.

really?Than we don't have to talk about cracking anymore but burning back as BD-ROM is a problem.

Last edited:
ROM mark (like HDCP) is only checked if the disc has AACS which anydvd removes.
I believe it is just the other way around - BD requires AACS on BD-ROM media, hence a BD-ROM without AACS will not play.
AnyDVD HD already removes this requirement, if it removes AACS it fools the playback software (PowerDVD) so it believes a BD-Recordable is inserted and not a BD-ROM disc.

... it fools the playback software (PowerDVD) so it believes a BD-Recordable is inserted and not a BD-ROM disc.

In fact, AnyDVD HD makes BD-ROM disc to look like DVD to fool PowerDVD (I checked this with IsoBuster). It would be nice it it actually makes it look like BD-R or BD-RE, so that other players (e.g. WinDVD) could possibly play it as well.

As to ROM-Mark, I think it is just marketing name for the mechanism of storing and retrieving "VolumeID", which is needed to decrypt titles. But HD-DVD also has this. Also I read somewhere that ROM-Mark includes technology which ensures that each BD-ROM disc can be tracked back to the replicator which created it. This is done by means that each replicator puts tracks on disc in slightly different way. This is to prevent mass piracy. We (and AnyDVD) should not really care about this side of ROM-Mark.

In fact, AnyDVD HD makes BD-ROM disc to look like DVD to fool PowerDVD (I checked this with IsoBuster). It would be nice it it actually makes it look like BD-R or BD-RE, so that other players (e.g. WinDVD) could possibly play it as well.
Just checked the source code - it changes BD-ROM to BD-R... ????
Are you sure ISOBuster displays the disc type reported by the drive correctly (never used this feature)?

Just checked the source code - it changes BD-ROM to BD-R... ????
Are you sure ISOBuster displays the disc type reported by the drive correctly (never used this feature)?

I don't know correctly or not, but it says "DVD":

Attachments

• Disc_Type_DVD_2.png
    Disc_Type_DVD_2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 24
Probably ISOBuster does not display it right, as DVDInfoPro says "BD-R":

Media Information
Region information N/A Blu-ray Media
Media code/Manufacturer ID
Disc Type Identifier BDO
UDF Format Type V2.50
UDF Volume LOGICAL_VOLUME_ID
UDF Application id *APPLICATION_ID
UDF Implementation id IMPLEMENTATION_ID
UDF Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 01/31/2007 0:11:28
Format Capacity 43.13GB(46.31GB)
Disc Information Identifier DI
Media Type BD-R
Free Spare Blocks 8192
Allocated Spare Blocks 1111772929
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 8991KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 4496KBps

Yet WinDVD does not play it, while it plays actual BD-REs. Is it possible to create experimental version of AnyDVD which changes disc type to BD-RE instead of BD-R, just to check whether WinDVD BD will play it?

Last edited:
But still I suspect that something might be wrong, as when BD-RE is inserted, ISOBuster says "BD-RE" when AnyDVD is disabled, and "DVD-RW" when it is enabled... And WinDVD BD for VAIO plays it in any case.

But still I suspect that something might be wrong, as when BD-RE is inserted, ISOBuster says "BD-RE" when AnyDVD is disabled, and "DVD-RW" when it is enabled... And WinDVD BD for VAIO plays it in any case.
Interesting. Well, of course something "is wrong", there are many ways to check the medium type. AnyDVD certainly doesn't cover all possible ways. It doesn't make sense to "proactively" create thousands of lines of code which are never used, so I just satisfied PowerDVD's checks. As soon as Corel decides to sell me a copy of WinDVD, I'll do the same for WinDVD.

James, I have the .exe for WinDVD HD/BD on my computer. To buy this, you have to navigate through the Corel store but you can find a link to buy it. If you would like I can upload it so you can start to reverse engineer WinDVD HD/BD so anydvd hd can fill the requests. Please PM me! Also when do you think that we will have full BD+ support :)

Last edited:
James, I have the .exe for WinDVD HD/BD on my computer. To buy this, you have to navigate through the Corel store but you can find a link to buy it. If you would like I can upload it so you can start to reverse engineer WinDVD HD/BD so anydvd hd can fill the requests. Please PM me! Also when do you think that we will have full BD+ support :)

Browsing the Corel store, I read this about WinDVD 8 Platinum:

"WinDVD 8 Platinum supports the playback of many high-definition video formats (H.264, VC1, HD MPEG-2, and WMV-HD etc…) but it does not support the playback of HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc."

Is Corel really selling the HD DVD / Blu-ray version? Or am I blind? :confused:

James, I think you might just be blind. :) It's hidden, I don't know why but anyway here is a link: Click this Hope this helps! I bought a laptop that had a Blu-ray drive in it and after I re-installed Windows Vista everything was gone so I searched and searched and finally found the website. I have bought it and it works, in fact it was the only player that would play Live Free or Die Hard ( of course with AnyDVD Hd disabled) Let me know if I can help any more. Thanks!

Last edited:
James, I think you might just be blind. :) It's hidden, I don't know why but anyway here is a link: Click this Hope this helps! Thanks!

Thanks a lot! Pretty well hidden, looks like they don't want to sell it...

But what about this?
"Requires either NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT, 8600HT or 8600GTS graphic card."

Are they serious?

It worked on my Sony Vaio laptop(VGN-FZ180E) which has a nvidia 8400M(laptop card) video card. So I think it is safe to say that it will work on other video cards, I dont know about ATI cards however.

Last edited:
It worked on my Sony Vaio laptop(VGN-FZ180E) which has a nvidia 8400M(laptop card) video card.

For Sony laptop with BD drive, you can download "WinDVD BD for VAIO" from Sony site for free. Probably "WinDVD 8 Platinum HD/BD" which Corel sells for $70, is not much different from it.

Where can you download it for free on sonys website? Can you provide a link?

Back