• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping Soundtracks

lajoes

I'm not sure which forum to ask this in, but here I go:

In the past I read that it was possible to rip just the sound track from a disc. And the way I understood it, you would end up with a soundtrack of the video, not an abbreviated song or music track, but the whole song or track.

Is that [still] true or is that just some trash talk?

So you are talking about the clean song with no voices and so on?
I think I once heard that you might be able to only use some channels (with the music), but I never heard anything more since then.
Will keep an eye on this thread, might give some interesting stuff.

I heard/read in the far distant past of people doing this instead of buying the CD soundtrack. I don't know if they ended up with the entire soundtrack, but they had the bulk of it. I just don't know if the song/music track that was ripped from the scene was complete or not.

So, I guess this is a two part question:

1. Is it possible to just rip the music/songs from a movie?

2. If so, is the music/song complete or just enough to set the mood in the scene?

1. Is it possible to just rip the music/songs from a movie?
I am not so sure. The only way I can imagine is to mute the other channels that have voices and sounds on them, but even then the music would be edited (a bit quiter to make room for sounds for exampe) or something like that.
So you might get some things from that, but I don't think it would be as clean and as easy as just buying a CD (if there even exists one...).
And you would have to check every channel to see which one has music on it and which not, and that for every single movie/epsiode.

DS, that sounds like more work than I'm willing to invest vs the cost of a CD.

So, now I'll have to as this question about CDs: Does CloneCD remove that malware that music labels used to prevent people from ripping? And didn't it also corrupt PC's?

remove that malware that music labels used to prevent people from ripping? And didn't it also corrupt PC's?
I have no idea what you are talking about. I used CDex for years and now another software to copy CDs, never had the smallest issue. Sure, I don't copy as much CDs as I copy DVDs and BDs, but still.

However, that brings me to finally ask about AnyDVD: There is a checkbox to also remove copy protection from Audio-CDs. However, that does nothing. When I open the CD in explorer, there are still only the 1kb files inside and I cannot copy it either. It tells me that the drive is not ready.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I used CDex for years and now another software to copy CDs, never had the smallest issue. Sure, I don't copy as much CDs as I copy DVDs and BDs, but still.

However, that brings me to finally ask about AnyDVD: There is a checkbox to also remove copy protection from Audio-CDs. However, that does nothing. When I open the CD in explorer, there are still only the 1kb files inside and I cannot copy it either. It tells me that the drive is not ready.

He's taking about the DRM malware that Sony use to put on their CDs that installed itself when "auto-play" was turned on for the CD. Nasty stuff.

Edit: just to answer his question: Yes, it would be removed after the rip, because it wasn't part of the music tracks. It was part of the data section of the CD (mixed mode CD). Ripping a music CD would ignore such data (if you're doing a music rip, that is).

Last edited:
DRM malware that Sony use to put on their CDs that installed itself when "auto-play" was turned on for the CD
A company selling malware... wow.
Luckily I never used autoplay, I always turn it of when installing windows, so that might be the reason why I have no clue about it.

Thanks Ch3vr0n, I will take a look.

About EAC, I used it some month ago, but it crashed some times, so I had to enter the informations again. Thats's why I ditched it.
I now use Poweriso. Not only can it copy the CDs to .bin (that is from what I can understand like an .iso for DVDs and BDs, for some reason it is not possible to iso a CD), but it also can open the files like 7-zip can open archives in a window without mounting or extracting them.

And I prefer to have isos and bin files than the flac or mp3 files, I can convert from them anything I want but what if I already converted it to mp3 and then notice that I did something wrong, I cannot reconvert from that mp3 to flac and so on. But I can convert an iso from DVD to mp4, to mkv, to DVD structure and so on. That's why I always copy the entire disc.

There are one or two things I would like to see improved, but just like TubeDigger I have yet to write it to them.

Thanks Ch3vr0n, I will take a look.

About EAC, I used it some month ago, but it crashed some times, so I had to enter the informations again. Thats's why I ditched it.
I now use Poweriso. Not only can it copy the CDs to .bin (that is from what I can understand like an .iso for DVDs and BDs, for some reason it is not possible to iso a CD), but it also can open the files like 7-zip can open archives in a window without mounting or extracting them.

And I prefer to have isos and bin files than the flac or mp3 files, I can convert from them anything I want but what if I already converted it to mp3 and then notice that I did something wrong, I cannot reconvert from that mp3 to flac and so on. But I can convert an iso from DVD to mp4, to mkv, to DVD structure and so on. That's why I always copy the entire disc.

There are one or two things I would like to see improved, but just like TubeDigger I have yet to write it to them.
Naah… You always rip to the original wav and do postprocessing later.

I greatly appreciate the information everyone provided. And as usual, I went down a lot of rabbit holes. And all those trips still confirm that I am "not as tech savvy you" but I am "tech comfortable" while I'm in these forums. Now, that I am exhausted from all those trips, it is now time to settle down and practice what I've learned.

Thank you for your inputs!

Back