• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping discs - problems?

Blurayorbust

Using AnyDVD to do a few test rips on some Blu-ray discs I'm finding that I sometimes have intermittent playback problems in the form of brief freezes and skipping a second or two right after. I've been testing this using Game of Thrones season 1.

I rip to image with no boxes checked.

I will though say that this is using VLC for playback, however I don't think that this is the cause as a re-rip of a 'bad' image with the aforementioned playback problems results in the issue going away or appearing elsewhere in the playback.

I guess my PC's Blu-ray player could also be at fault? Or maybe the Game of Thrones discs are a problem to rip for some reason?

I have ripped many discs over the years with AnyDVD. Often times I rip to image and then create an MKV based on the resulting ISO. I have never had the issue you describe.

In my opinion (and I am sure others will chime in) this is not an AnyDVD issue. It is probably your drive. Maybe try a different player outside of VLC (as a test) or try a different set of discs and see.

Just my 2 cents on that.

When does this freeze happen? Always somewhere in the middle or also at the beginning or end?
Because discs have layers and at the back of your disc you can sometimes read about that there can be a slight pause when the player switches between these layers. And since you are talking about Game of Thrones which is a large series, I assume it is on a BD50 which has two layers.

I have ripped many discs over the years with AnyDVD. Often times I rip to image and then create an MKV based on the resulting ISO. I have never had the issue you describe.

In my opinion (and I am sure others will chime in) this is not an AnyDVD issue. It is probably your drive. Maybe try a different player outside of VLC (as a test) or try a different set of discs and see.

Just my 2 cents on that.

Thanks. Thinking about it I do occasionally have problems with discs not being recognized when I put them in the drive, but if I eject and insert them (sometimes a few times) they then work.

It is an old drive, perhaps it's time for a new one?

I'm also now remembering that my Jaws discs wouldn't read when I tried it numerous times a few days ago but on trying it on a drive on another PC's drive it was okay.

When does this freeze happen? Always somewhere in the middle or also at the beginning or end?
Because discs have layers and at the back of your disc you can sometimes read about that there can be a slight pause when the player switches between these layers. And since you are talking about Game of Thrones which is a large series, I assume it is on a BD50 which has two layers.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, this does seem to happen in the first half hour or so of a ripped episode (yet direct disc playback is fine).

Besides playback is there any way to verify if a rip is okay?

Thanks. Thinking about it I do occasionally have problems with discs not being recognized when I put them in the drive, but if I eject and insert them (sometimes a few times) they then work.

It is an old drive, perhaps it's time for a new one?

I'm also now remembering that my Jaws discs wouldn't read when I tried it numerous times a few days ago but on trying it on a drive on another PC's drive it was okay.
Based on that description, it sounds like it could be the drive.

this does seem to happen in the first half hour or so of a ripped episode (yet direct disc playback is fine).
It can happen on the disc itself, but I don't think it would happen when using the ripped files.

Besides playback is there any way to verify if a rip is okay?
I think it has been asked in the past, but I cannot remember what the answer was. Let's have other members chime in.

Is it an external drive? If so, you could try to attach it to another PC or just another Port. Don't think it would change anything, but worth a try before buying a new one.

I should have said, It's an internal SATA drive.

Gentlepersons:

I have noticed that my Blu-Ray drive is increasingly refusing to acknowledge that a Blu-Ray disc has been inserted. This behavior is indicated by both the OS [Win7 Pro x64] and by the refusal of AnyDVD HD to even attempt to scan the drive. I have attached two log files, one of a successfully loaded Blu-Ray disc, the second stating there was no disc in the drive, when in fact there was.

The situation can be even stranger: if I attempt to scan a disc which eventually is not recognized, placing a "reference BD" (e.g., Airport (2012) retail, which does load - see log file, will not be recognized until a "reference DVD" (e.g. Dances with Wolves (2010) retail) is loaded.

Some recent discs that will not load:
House Season 6 (2010) retail [all five discs]
Super 8 (2011) retail
The X Files Season 1 (2015) retail [all six discs]

Please take a look at the logs, and if possible, give me a course of action that will correct the issue.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.3.0_Info_G_AIRPORT_DOM_C88C2492_ECB1FC93.ziplog
    353.9 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_8.6.3.0_Info_G_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    21.1 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_8.6.3.0_Info_G_DANCES_WITH_WOLVES.ziplog
    100.8 KB · Views: 1
Back