• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip Video DVD to Harddisk

HarryB

This tool is used to repair broken video dvd's ...But it aborts when it encounters the first problem ...what are the settings to continue and what type of problems does this tool fix?

Thank you.

"Broken" was/is a very poor choice of words.
If the disk has read errors it can't "fix" it - I wish it could.

It "fixes" strange structural protection issues flawlessly.

-W

Even magic has its limits

This tool is used to repair broken video dvd's ...But it aborts when it encounters the first problem ...what are the settings to continue and what type of problems does this tool fix?

Thank you.

By "first problem" you may be referring to a problem that exceeds the intent and abilities of that AnyDVD function.

Sector errors are recoverable to a certain degree but if a DVD has surface errors or data errors that exceed the size of the pass/fail window on a READ of this kind then it is simply not possible.
"Broken" is a subjective description and there are physical limits in getting the data off a DVD - even with magic. ;)

Sector errors are recoverable to a certain degree but if a DVD has surface errors or data errors that exceed the size of the pass/fail window on a READ of this kind then it is simply not possible.
"Broken" is a subjective description and there are physical limits in getting the data off a DVD - even with magic. ;)

Agreed, but it would be nice to have a selectable mode that functions more like a stand alone DVD player. As we know, some of them will play right through severe read-errors without a visable hitch.

THEN we could say it truely "repairs" damaged DVD's.

-W

You would get missing bits and pieces Clams. Franks reply gives a good reason why.

As my friend always says, "you can't polish a turd".

Ah not so

I am afraid our Canadian brethren would disagree. You can polish a petrified dinosaur turd but the question become"Who Would Want To."

You would get missing bits and pieces Clams. Franks reply gives a good reason why.

As my friend always says, "you can't polish a turd".

I could live with a "glitch" so long as it handled it as well as most stand-alone players do. Most read errors are transparant to the viewer. Just ask anyone here who ever whined: "It played JUST FINE, but I can't rip it!!"

-W

couldnt you make something that took the area before the error and after and kinda put them together to make a good guess what was inbetween?

I think that's how a DVP player handles the issue.

-W

so would it then be possible to have anydvds ripper automatically do that if it comes to a spot that it has multiple read failures on? that would eliminate the problem of having crappy original discs that work fine on standalone dvd players

Back