Rip Video DVD to Harddisk

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by HarryB, May 19, 2008.

1. HarryB

HarryB New Member

This tool is used to repair broken video dvd's ...But it aborts when it encounters the first problem ...what are the settings to continue and what type of problems does this tool fix?

Thank you.

2. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

"Broken" was/is a very poor choice of words.
    If the disk has read errors it can't "fix" it - I wish it could.

It "fixes" strange structural protection issues flawlessly.

-W

3. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

Even magic has its limits

By "first problem" you may be referring to a problem that exceeds the intent and abilities of that AnyDVD function.

Sector errors are recoverable to a certain degree but if a DVD has surface errors or data errors that exceed the size of the pass/fail window on a READ of this kind then it is simply not possible.
    "Broken" is a subjective description and there are physical limits in getting the data off a DVD - even with magic. ;)

4. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it would be nice to have a selectable mode that functions more like a stand alone DVD player. As we know, some of them will play right through severe read-errors without a visable hitch.

THEN we could say it truely "repairs" damaged DVD's.

-W

5. linx05

linx05 Well-Known Member

You would get missing bits and pieces Clams. Franks reply gives a good reason why.

As my friend always says, "you can't polish a turd".

6. sondeterra

sondeterra Well-Known Member

Ah not so

I am afraid our Canadian brethren would disagree. You can polish a petrified dinosaur turd but the question become"Who Would Want To."

7. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

I could live with a "glitch" so long as it handled it as well as most stand-alone players do. Most read errors are transparant to the viewer. Just ask anyone here who ever whined: "It played JUST FINE, but I can't rip it!!"

-W

8. Zeratul

Zeratul Well-Known Member

couldnt you make something that took the area before the error and after and kinda put them together to make a good guess what was inbetween?

9. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

I think that's how a DVP player handles the issue.

-W

10. Zeratul

Zeratul Well-Known Member

so would it then be possible to have anydvds ripper automatically do that if it comes to a spot that it has multiple read failures on? that would eliminate the problem of having crappy original discs that work fine on standalone dvd players