• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"Rip Video Disk to Harddrive" vs Xcopy

busthead

Is there any difference in the resultant files if I use "Rip Video Disk to Harddrive" or xcopy from a batch script while AnyDVD is running?

Is there any difference in the resultant files if I use "Rip Video Disk to Harddrive" or xcopy from a batch script while AnyDVD is running?
The AnyDVD ripper removes duplicate files created by protection mechanisms. That's all we dag say, nobody can speak for the other part as we don't know the script code itself...

You'll have to compares I'm afraid. The only one that can answer that question is yourself

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Xcopy isn't a script. It is a native Windows command to copy files and folders.

I'll copy a DVD using both methods and post the results here. That said, I assumed this was a simple question with a well-known answer.

If you use AnyDVD to rip to folder it will remove structural (and other) copy protections.
Xcopy (assuming it can complete) won't remove protections.
-W

Doesn't that legitimize the request for an AnyDVD CLI? If not, how can AnyDVD be used as part of an (native OS or other popular language) "auto-rip" script?

Doesn't impact me.
I only archive the Main Movie with AC3 5.1 audio track.
No need to waste disk space. Less = More.
-W

My lack of knowledge of DVD protection techniques may be inhibiting my understanding of AnyDVD's value. Are you stating that "structural (and other) copy protections" are of no concern if one wishes to extract and encode just the main movie?

If so, is it necessary to encode directly from the DVD or is there a way to extract just the main movie and bulk encode many movies, possibly on a different machine, at a later date?

My lack of knowledge of DVD protection techniques may be inhibiting my understanding of AnyDVD's value. Are you stating that "structural (and other) copy protections" are of no concern if one wishes to extract and encode just the main movie?

If so, is it necessary to encode directly from the DVD or is there a way to extract just the main movie and bulk encode many movies, possibly on a different machine, at a later date?
1) When you use the "Rip video to Harddisk" option, AnyDVD rips the disc to a folder while removing the protections.
2) You can use CloneDVD to rip to harddisk, iso, or copy and burn to disc with AnyDVD running in the background will have the protections removed as well.
3) CloneDVD was designed to work with AnyDVD and does it correctly. Other 3rd party programs may, or may not, be able to have the protections removed correcly "on the fly". The recommended method with them is to use the AnyDVD "rip to harddisk", then use the ripped folder as the source for the program.

Clams was meaning we do not know how xcopy would work "on the fly". Discs with structural protection probably would not have those protections removed correctly.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Xcopy would fail to get it right unless AnyDVD rips to folder first.
-#W

In computing, XCOPY is a command used on PC DOS, MS-DOS, OS/2, Microsoft Windows, and related operating systems for copying multiple files or entire directory trees from one directory to another and for copying files across a network, I do not think it removes protections.

I think people are misunderstanding the OP's question.

if anydvd is running does rip files to hard disk do anything different than just copying the files from the drive as anydvd presents it to the user (i.e. with protection removed, presumambly).

I had to wrap my head around that question for a minute myself.

So.. put in the disc. Let AnyDVD work it's magic so Windows doesn't see the copy protection.
Use XCopy (an archaic DOS command) to copy said folders and files to another location.

My question would be.. why? Why are you using DOS to extract the contents of the disc? Once AnyDVD keeps Windows at bay, programs like CloneDVD2 make it way easier, less messy, and if something goes wrong.. a log file you can use to get help tracking the issue.

Oh.. what Clam's mentioned, is just how he (and myself) rip movies to the drive. Options - Main Movie, Audio 5.1. (I include subs minus the pointless director's comments).. but, it usually keeps an 8.5GB movie down to around 4.5, to 5GB.

Why are you using DOS to extract the contents of the disc?

I have hundreds of DVDs that I want to encode into digital files. In an effort to automate the process, I've written a Batch script to copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the inserted DVD and then eject the DVD. The copied VIDEO_TS folder is then encoded by a second machine.

To clarify, I'm not using "DOS." I'm using Windows and xcopy is a perfectly functional and supported native file and folder copy utility.

I had to wrap my head around that question for a minute myself.

So.. put in the disc. Let AnyDVD work it's magic so Windows doesn't see the copy protection.
Use XCopy (an archaic DOS command) to copy said folders and files to another location.

He's not using DOS. He's using Window's command shell. Windows hasn't had DOS in it since 9x. Also, xcopy is neither archaic or part of the shell. It's an actual executable on your drive (by contrast copy IS part of the shell).

This is nothing wrong or sinister about what he trying to do. Every OS has a shell and a way to script tasks.

I think it will work fine, as long as AnyDVD is still running on the background. I've done similar types of copies when "rip to hard drive" as failed on particular finicky discs.

Last edited:
I tried using tcclone --outpath "E:\dvds\%label_%" --remux %target_%\VIDEO_TS all

but it generated the errors below on a disc that xcopy processed without issue.

TitleFixDVD processing error: FileIO 3 VTS_01_4.VOB 911880192 262144
TitleFixDVD failed!
Error: FileIO 3 VTS_01_4.VOB 911880192 262144

Back