• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"Rip To Image" Quality

dan001

Hi,

I used AnyDVD to create a large number of ISOs before it occured to me that I had no idea if the quality would be the same as the original DVD (or if any compression might take place which would reduce the quality).

I then read a number of the FAQs to try and find the answer and found instead that it was not actually recommended to use AnyDVD to rip to ISOs at all, but to use CloneDVD or ImgBurn etc!!

I did read in one place though that if all I wanted to do was mount using Virtual CloneDrive then it should be ok, but this still leaves the question of what quality is the resulting iso?

For example, the file size of one is 7.9Gb which I think is equal to the original DVD size but I do not know much about this subject so am only making an assumption that quality is unaffected because the file sizes are the same - is that correct?

Basically, I am quite happy to trade hard drive space for highest quality i.e. equal to that of the original DVD if possible.

I actually also have CloneDVD as well, but have not used it - can it create an ISO with no quality loss?

Cheers
Dan

Yes, CloneDVD can create an ISO with no loss of quality as long as you set the quality setting to DVD+/-R DL (dual layer). Then no matter what the disc is, single or dual layer, you get the output to be the highest possible.

You can also see what the quality setting will be with the quality color bar. If the quality color bar shows 100%, there is no compression so the quality is the same as the original source.

I use CloneDVD all the time, it really is the best way to create ISO backups of standard DVDs.

One thing you should note is that CloneDVD creates ISOs by a two step process, first it rips the DVD to your HD as if you were using AnyDVD's rip to HD, then reads the ripped files to create the ISO. The created ISO, by default has the same "disc title" as the original disc. You can change that if you want.

Yes CloneDVD can - just set it for no compression. (DVD-9 - Duel Layer)
AnyDVD rips with no compression ie 100% quality. The reason for not using it for regular DVD's involves structural copy protection issues - but for what you're doing your images are just fine.

-W

Many thanks guys, that's what I was hoping for! Next time I will read the instructions rather than loading straight up and clicking options - I had ripped over 30 DVDs with AnyDVD before I thought about the quality side of it ;-)

Yes CloneDVD can - just set it for no compression. (DVD-9 - Duel Layer)
AnyDVD rips with no compression ie 100% quality. The reason for not using it for regular DVD's involves structural copy protection issues - but for what you're doing your images are just fine.

-W

Is it correct to assume that as long as AnyDVD is running, that I should still be able to playback/convert the ISO (with the DVD protections still preserved) using VCD and CloneDVD2?

In other words, removing the protections from a DVD ISO is mainly for using 3rd-party tools like DVDShrink *without AnyDVD* right?

it will only remove them from the iso if you have it enabled for the virtual drive :)

Right, I periodically see the SlySoft devs saying to not use it (Keep Protection) for DVD images but I don't see why not.

I always have AnyDVD running so it's not a big deal if the DVD ISO still has structural protection and AnyDVD has to remove it again. For me, it's more of a PITA if I need to re-rip DVD(s) because there was a software regression that necessitated re-ripping a bunch of discs.

Can a SlySoft person comment on this? TIA

Back