Retail vs. Rental

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DaJoker, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DaJoker

DaJoker New Member

Question: Are there differences between rental and retail version of DVDs?
    I know some are special, not rated, director cut, extended, etc...
    Example: Saw IV purchased from Best backs up without issue. Saw IV from rental store errors. Thanks in advance.

2. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Yes retail you'll get help Rental your thread gets locked.

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

I purchase DVDs from numerous retail sources and I also purchase previously used DVDs from some rental stores. I've never run across a disc that was different than the retail disc that I could have purchased in a normal store or online. This, of course, takes into account that most rental places I have frequented don't get multiple versions of the same movie and instead tend to get one version (rated/unrated) and generally split it down the middle on having WS and FF releases when it's applicable to the title. My point being that your selection from a retailer would generally be more diverse when it comes to the different versions available for a particular title depending on that specific title.

In short, in my experience, there haven't been differences between the discs. Of course we have a number of people who post here that would know far more about this than I do.

Having said that, Charlie does have a point. Discussions of copying rented DVDs is strictly prohibited. Watch that line, please.

Valid point but the question does hold some validity. You can legally purchase discs from a rental store new or used.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  4. sondeterra

sondeterra Well-Known Member

Seem To Recall

There was a previous thread that touched on this in that some retailers IE Blockbuster exclusive releases contain Blockbuster advertising.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

No difference in Retail/Rented discs other than what DaJoker has noted.