• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Retail vs. Rental

DaJoker

Question: Are there differences between rental and retail version of DVDs?
I know some are special, not rated, director cut, extended, etc...
Example: Saw IV purchased from Best backs up without issue. Saw IV from rental store errors. Thanks in advance.

Example: Saw IV purchased from Best backs up without issue. Saw IV from rental store errors. Thanks in advance.

Yes retail you'll get help Rental your thread gets locked.

I purchase DVDs from numerous retail sources and I also purchase previously used DVDs from some rental stores. I've never run across a disc that was different than the retail disc that I could have purchased in a normal store or online. This, of course, takes into account that most rental places I have frequented don't get multiple versions of the same movie and instead tend to get one version (rated/unrated) and generally split it down the middle on having WS and FF releases when it's applicable to the title. My point being that your selection from a retailer would generally be more diverse when it comes to the different versions available for a particular title depending on that specific title.

In short, in my experience, there haven't been differences between the discs. Of course we have a number of people who post here that would know far more about this than I do.

Having said that, Charlie does have a point. Discussions of copying rented DVDs is strictly prohibited. Watch that line, please.

Yes retail you'll get help Rental your thread gets locked.

Valid point but the question does hold some validity. You can legally purchase discs from a rental store new or used.

Last edited:
Seem To Recall

There was a previous thread that touched on this in that some retailers IE Blockbuster exclusive releases contain Blockbuster advertising.

No difference in Retail/Rented discs other than what DaJoker has noted.

Back