• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Writing failed error

Enlade

I have the same problem with a Plextor PX-755SA. The drive worked fine until I had to do a system reinstall and I upgraded to the newest version of CloneCD.

I also have Nero and Alcohol and both seem to burn fine, but CloneCD now only burns the lead in track (ruining the Double Layered DVD $$) and then it fails (saying CloneCD writing Plextor Failed!).

I have reinstalled CloneCD a bunch of times (following the instructions in the other thread--running cleaner and such). I have also uninstalled Nero and Alcohol as well, just in case they were conflicting somehow. Same problem every time.

CloneCD is my primary writeing software, so it is a bit troubling that it now doesn't work leaving me with Nero and Alcohol. I would like to fix it.

I will see if I can locate the older version of CloneCD to install, but I don't have it and I'm not sure where to get it. But if it works I will let you know.

More info....

Just to be complete. I am using a few different DVD+R's. I'm using Memorex 2.4x Double Layer and Verbatim 8x Double Layer. Both work fine with Nero and Alcohol, but with CloneCD I get the same problem. Though prior to the problem this same media worked flawlessly on numourous burns.

I have tried burning at all sorts of speeds (1x, 2x, 4x and 6x). Prior to installing the newest version of CloneCD I was burning on the Verbatim at 6x speeds without any trouble (many times). After the new version install I get the same problem no matter what speed.

I am using the newest version that I just downloaded from the website. I downloaded it a few times just in case the download was bad. No good.

Ok, so I downloaded a few of the older versions from some site in England. They all had the same problem. Burns the Lead In, but then fails writing after that. So it doesn't seem to be version related. I'll toy with it more over the weekend.

My LowerFilters = ElbyCDFL and my UpperFilters = GEARAspiWDM. I have no idea what that means, but the other thread says to list them. So thats them.

This is the filter check results....maybe it is a problem with GEARAspiWDM?

Filter Check Tool v3.4

An Upper Filter found is: GEARAspiWDM
Filterdriver properties are:

A Lower Filter found is: ElbyCDFL
Filterdriver properties are:
Name: ElbyCDFL
Caption: ElbyCDFL
Description: ElbyCDFL
AcceptPause: False
AcceptStop: True
DesktopInteract: False
DisplayName: ElbyCDFL
ErrorControl: Normal
ExitCode: 0
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
Version Info: 5.2.1.3
ServiceSpecificExitCode: 0
ServiceType: Kernel Driver
Started: True
StartMode: Manual
StartName:
State: Running
TagId: 0

This is the filter check results....maybe it is a problem with GEARAspiWDM?

I'm really at a complete loss as to the cause of your problem but the GEARaspiWDM is present on many many systems and I've never seen it be the cause of an issue. I don't believe it's involved.

Please do me a favor. If you aren't already please update to the latest version of CloneCD: http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html.

After doing that refer here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=22426. Download the file in the first post, make a backup of the existing WriteDVD.dll file, and overwrite the one currently in your CloneCD directory with the file you just downloaded. Now try burning a disc and see if the problem still occurs.

Last edited:
Ok, I did all that and it gives me the same problem. Tomorrow I will download imgburn and see how that works. Might give us a bit more insight.

I also upgraded my burners firmware and also updated my computers BIOS and reinstalled the motherboards chipset. Same problem. Last resort will be to rinstall windows or do a windows repair install. But I have so much stuff installed that I would not look forward to that.

I have run Symantec Antivirus, Spysweeper and Malwarebytes. Didn't find anything worth mentioning (low risk stuff only--cookies and such).

I'll toy more with it over the weekend...maybe I should have started another thread instead of posting here...but the problem seemed similar.

Please do not post in other people's troubleshooting threads unless you wish to assist them. Click the link in my signature and read fully.

If you have the option in bios, set your Sata optical drives to function as "IDE" instead of "AHCI" or something else.

Also, when the burn fails, do you see any flashing lights on your drive?

visit http://www.plextor.com/english/support/plexhelper/scsi/blinkchart.html

Sorry

Yes, I am sorry about that. I thought of that after the direction of the problem moved from reinstalling an older version of CloneCD to something related to my hardware. I thought I had the same problem as the thread owner until then. Anyway, I will try what you said and start a new thread. Sorry again. Thanks.

EVGA nForce 680i motherboard

Oh, even better....you already created it for me and moved over the posts. Thanks again.

I wanted to add that I have a EVGA nForce 680i motherboard. I have again tried reinstalling the newest BIOS and reinstalling the chipset for the motherboard. I remember having a similar problem when I first installed the system years ago (with Nero), and a BIOS update seemed to fix it, but no go this time. So, I thought I would mention it just in case other 680i owners are out there with similar problems.

I'll get to your suggestions now and report back. Thanks.

Ok, I tried changing a number of settings in the BIOS and in the Device Manager. I didn't see anything about making the SATA drivers run as IDE, but I think they are doing that since they show up in the Device Manager under the IDE ATA Controllers section.

In the BIOS there is a setting to enable/disable DMA. There is also a setting in the Device Manager's IDE ATA Control that allows me to choose between DMA and PIO modes or allowing the BIOS to control which mode to use. I have tried burning with ever combination of settings of those two places were DMA is mentioned (BIOS and Device Manager). Same problem occures ever time.

I have gone back to enabling DMA in the BIOS and in the Device Manager setting it to allow the BIOS to decide the DMA mode. It results in using DMA in the Device Manager as well. Maybe I don't want to use DMA? Some threads say turn it off...and other say turn it on.

I have also ran ImgBurn. That gave me a lot more info on the problem, but I did not save it. So, I will do another burn using ImgBurn and get you the logs for that.

I do remember the errors being something like "Failed to write: No Additional Sense Information" and then after ignoring the error it gave me another error when it tried to finish up the disk. Something like "Sycronized Cache Failed". But that second error was probably not the cause as it happened only after I attempted to cancel out of the first error and the program attempted to finish up the disk as if it had written it properly (which it had not). In any case, I will do another burn with ImgBurn and get you the accurate log.

I'm going to have to find something that is single layer DVD before I do any more testing. The double layers cost too much to be wasting so many DVDs. I have tons of single layer DVDs, but nothing to burn. I'll find something, or make something to burn for testing. Then I will let post the error logs from ImgBurn for you. If there is more that you would like me to try, let me know.

I will also try burning agian using Nero and Alcohol to make sure that they still work. I have done so much that I may have messed them up, but it will be useful to know if they are working still. Thanks again for the help.

I should mention that I have two other DVD burners around. One is an IDE (Sony something or other) and one is an external (Mad Dog something or other). I was thinking about connecting up the external and seeing if it worked as well. That might be useful information.

DMA mostly affects IDE, and it should be enabled.

The thing is that you're using a Sata Plextor drive.

1) If possible, use default/Microsoft sata drivers

2) Also, please answer my previous question about blinking lights.

1) If possible, use default/Microsoft sata drivers

Yes, the drivers seem to be Digitally Signed NVidia. I will see if I can switch them over to the Microsoft drivers and let you know.

2) Also, please answer my previous question about blinking lights.

I meant to say this in the previous thread, but I think I started babbling on with too much other info and forgot. Sorry about that. The light stays green on the drive. So, I am suspecting that it is something to do with a software issue. As you have suggested it could be the NVidia SATA drivers or something. I will try a bunch of stuff today (swapping out software/drivers and such) and I am hopeful that you all have gotten me on the right track.

The NVIDIA chipset and storage controller drivers are problematic.

Ahhhh, that sounds promising as well. I remember when I first installed the computer over a year ago that Nero also failed and after doing a full system reinstall it started working again. That left me to suspect that the motherboard or something releated to it was the source of trouble. And I just happened to install it differently (leaving out some software) the second time around. So, now that you all seem to also suspect motherboard software/drivers (NVidia) it makes me think we are on the right track.

I will have to figure out how to remove that particular software without it holding on residually. I'm not sure that reinstalling the Chipset will do it. I'll toy with it today and let you know what happens.

Ok, it works!!!! Just to recap for anyone else that might run into this problem. The NVidia SATA drivers were the problem. Here are the steps to fix it. This relates to the NVIdia 680i motherboard, but probably effects others as well (780i, 880i, etc).

1. Go to device manager.
2. Open up the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controls" section.
3. For each of the NVidia SATA controlers (mine had 3) right click and do a update driver.
4. Choose to select the driver manually instead of having Windows select for you.
5. Chose the "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller" instead of the NVidia.
6. Restart the computer.
7. When I did this some of the NVidia SATA controlers did not switch after the reboot. I had to do it again and reboot my computer again for each that did not take, but eventually all three of the NVidia SATA controlers were switched over to "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controllers". Just check Device Manager after each reboot and be sure that the NVidia SATA controlers were all switched.

Thank you all so much for the help. I think I have got my computer in a funk with all the changes I tried. So I will likely reinstall it, but at least now I know to avoid the NVidia SATA controler drivers. All is well. Thanks again.

Ok, it works!!!! Just to recap for anyone else that might run into this problem. The NVidia SATA drivers were the problem. Here are the steps to fix it. This relates to the NVIdia 680i motherboard, but probably effects others as well (780i, 880i, etc).

This type of problem is unfortunately more common than people think and most people are unaware of the problem and think we are crazy when we suggest that the NVIDIA drivers are problematic. NVIDIA themselves have grudgingly and quietly admitted a problem exists but have no fix for it and are unlikely to ever address it. I'm not sure it really is fixable in tems of their own drivers.

The solution, as you have discovered is to use the standard Microsoft drivers instead. :)

I'm very happy to hear you resolved this. I'm glad you mentioned your motherboard or I never would have thought to bring up the NVIDIA chipset and storage controller issues.

Last edited:
Back