• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Why do I get such miserable burning speeds?

I checked out newegg but couldn't find external memories. Can I use those things with an enclosure? Do they MAKE external memories that would suit?

It's a 50 mile round trip + $75 minimum fee + 4 day wait to take it to the computer shop...not a handy approach!

I've got a Compaq Presario. I wish I didn't, kind of.

RAM memory is Internal

What Model# Compaq Presario ?
I can probably pull up a Memory Upgrade Guide from HP/Compaq

In most cases
- You can ADD the RAM yourself
I would put Any figured Installation fee - toward getting More RAM - instead

You'll probably be surprised how easy it really is

256 Mb of RAM ( like you have installed/ reported ) is barely enough to run XP
512 Mb would be considered the absolute bare min ( 2x what you have )
If supported
You should have at least 1 GB RAM ,
2 GB would be Ideal

Your Computer will All Around run much faster with more RAM
This upgrade isn't just for Burning DVDs

I run 4 GB ( some what overkill for XP );)

:)

Last edited:
Here's what I found...

This is a link to a guide to installing memory, which looks pretty straightforward EXCEPT for the quoted bit I'm bolding up below:

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

"Some recent stub-chassis computers built by Compaq, Hewlett-Packard and others have little or no work space inside. Some units require removing the hard drive and power supply to access the RAM. Do not attempt to do this yourself."

It's a SR1710NX

I'd rather be safe than sorry, given my 10 thumbs...

I kind of guessed that it would speed things up a bit elsewhere --- that would be a good thing! Fingers crossed it will help solve the fix-breakfast-and-mow-the-lawn wait to reboot!

This is a link to a guide to installing memory, which looks pretty straightforward EXCEPT for the quoted bit I'm bolding up below:

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

"Some recent stub-chassis computers built by Compaq, Hewlett-Packard and others have little or no work space inside. Some units require removing the hard drive and power supply to access the RAM. Do not attempt to do this yourself."

It's a SR1710NX

I'd rather be safe than sorry, given my 10 thumbs...

I kind of guessed that it would speed things up a bit elsewhere --- that would be a good thing! Fingers crossed it will help solve the fix-breakfast-and-mow-the-lawn wait to reboot!

Let's try from the 'horse's mouth'

.... I would do the RAM Upgrade yourself
There is NO reason why you shouldn't be able to do this .....
Save your $$$ ... ( or just buy more RAM ;) )

Compaq Presario SR1710NX Desktop PC: Manuals

Compaq Presario SR1710NX Desktop PC
Upgrading Memory (RAM)

Product Specifications
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)
requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM

Motherboard Specifications, A8AE-LE (AmberineM)

Here are your RAM choices @ Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SR1710NX&ActiveSearchResult=True&Pagesize=100

You use the same RAM specs as My HP Computer / PC 3200

I would throw away your current 256 MB Ram
- and Add TWO x 1GB Sticks .... ( or 4 x 1GB )
Two x 1GB gives you the option of adding 2 more later

For some reason .... I thought this was a Laptop (?)
Why on earth are you bothering with an External Burner ? :confused:

Adding or Replacing a CD or DVD Drive

New Internal DVD/RW Burners are only $30.00+/-
LG // GH22
Samsung 222/223
Pioneer

;) $30.00 +/-

Last edited:
Thanks, I've ordered some...

and I'll give it a try! It looks like something that might just work out! The stuff should arrived Monday or Tuesday, I imagine.

You may have guessed I have a certain yet entirely justified lack of confidence in my physical skills, which explains why I didn't get an internal burner. Hammers I can use, but two-piece items like pliers --- well, I go to the dentist rather than do it myself.

and I'll give it a try! It looks like something that might just work out! The stuff should arrived Monday or Tuesday, I imagine.

You may have guessed I have a certain yet entirely justified lack of confidence in my physical skills, which explains why I didn't get an internal burner. Hammers I can use, but two-piece items like pliers --- well, I go to the dentist rather than do it myself.

Once you Do these things
... You'll almost be embarrassed at how easy they really are :)

I'll admit
I was a little intimidated when I replaced my first Optical drive
.... and replaced my first sticks of RAM
But once you just Try it .... It all seems so easy
You just need to take your time - and learn as you go

I just ordered another LG GH22NP20 burner to keep on the shelf
- for when my Current GH22 needs to retire
My current GH22 has about 1000+ burns on it
- and a little more than a year old
Cost for the spare was $22.95 w/ free shipping ( what a deal )

;)

Thanks again --- I'll let you know how it goes!

I really appreciate all the help --- I hope that others might also have benefited from your efforts on my behalf!

If things go wrong, I'll probably mention that, too...

I really appreciate all the help --- I hope that others might also have benefited from your efforts on my behalf!

If things go wrong, I'll probably mention that, too...

lol ...:D
You'll be fine

Someone once offered the same help to me
I have no reluctance in returning the favor :)

;)

It helped a lot!

I added the extra memory and it seems to have helped a lot --- the average burns seem to be in the 5.5x-6.5x range now...doesn't sound like a lot but it more than halves what it has been taking to burn stuff. ImgBurn seems to have been helped a bit more than DVDdecrypter. Other functions of the comp have definitely speeded up, too.

Thanks again for all the help!

I added the extra memory and it seems to have helped a lot --- the average burns seem to be in the 5.5x-6.5x range now...doesn't sound like a lot but it more than halves what it has been taking to burn stuff. ImgBurn seems to have been helped a bit more than DVDdecrypter. Other functions of the comp have definitely speeded up, too.

Thanks again for all the help!

Good to hear ! 8)

It was pretty easy -to Do it yourself .... wasn't it ?

Now , about adding that 22x Internal DVD Drive .........:D

Back