• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved using CloneCD] Strange Menu Cursor problem: Interactive DVD Backup

Itsabouttime

I recently purchased Core Rhythms - which is a 7-disc collection of interactive exercise videos. As always, I use CloneDVD to make a copy of my purchased dvd's immediately, shelve the originals, and use the copies for my workouts. These Core Rhythms dvd's seemed to backup fine, but when I play them on my television using a dvd player, they will not advance past the initial screen. When I play them on a computer, they respond to mouse clicks and will advance. In addition, after realizing there was a problem with the three backup discs I had made, I tried playing my original dvds. The ones I had already copied have a blue line across the top one third of the screen with a little video camera icon on it. It plays fine on my television with a dvd player, it just has the distracting blue line. The original discs that I have not copied do not have the blue lines with the video camera icon. Needless to say, I have not backed up the remaining 4 Core Rhythm dvd's, and now I'm afraid to back up any future interactive dvds I may purchase. Is there something I can do to avoid my original dvd's being marked like that? Both drives on my computer are dvd writers. If one was just a player, do you think I could have avoided having my original dvds marked like that? (I hope I'm posting this in the right place ... I just joined the forum.)
Thanks.

I recently purchased Core Rhythms - which is a 7-disc collection of interactive exercise videos. As always, I use CloneDVD to make a copy of my purchased dvd's immediately, shelve the originals, and use the copies for my workouts. These Core Rhythms dvd's seemed to backup fine, but when I play them on my television using a dvd player, they will not advance past the initial screen. When I play them on a computer, they respond to mouse clicks and will advance.

Provide the following requested information fully:

1. What color are the bottom of the original dvds?

2. Are you using Anydvd 6.4.6.9 and Clonedvd 2.9.1.9? If not, you should be. Ensure that you are.

3. Upload the Anydvd log zip file:

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"
n) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

4. Did you select "Clone dvd" from the main menu in Clonedvd--and did you "preserve menus" in Clonedvd? If not, you should have.

5. What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, and e)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

6. At what speed are you burning your blank media in Clonedvd?

7. Do the original discs play in your computer properly with Anydvd running in the background?

In addition, after realizing there was a problem with the three backup discs I had made, I tried playing my original dvds. The ones I had already copied have a blue line across the top one third of the screen with a little video camera icon on it. It plays fine on my television with a dvd player, it just has the distracting blue line.

The video camera icon typically indicates an angle, and can be changed by selecting a different one via your standalone player's dvd remote. As for the blue line . . . it's utterly impossible for Clonedvd or any program to write, alter, nor affect in any way commercially pressed dvd media. Consequently, Clonedvd had absolutely no effect whatsoever on any problem it is that you're having with your original discs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response to my post. You asked me to provide the following information:

1. What color are the bottom of the original dvds? SILVER

2. Are you using Anydvd 6.4.6.9 and Clonedvd 2.9.1.9? If not, you should be. Ensure that you are. I AM, BUT I DID RECEIVE AN ANYDVD UPGRADE EMAIL TODAY SO AT THE TIME I HAD THIS ISSUE, I WAS USING THE PREVIOUS VERSION

3. Upload the Anydvd log zip file: ATTACHED

4. Did you select "Clone dvd" from the main menu in Clonedvd--and did you "preserve menus" in Clonedvd? If not, you should have. YES

5. What blank media are you using?
a) brand name SONY
b)type +R
c)media code D21
d)capacity/size 120min 4.7GB
e)country US

6. At what speed are you burning your blank media in Clonedvd? IT SAYS "preferred speed - MAXIMUM" and I never change that setting.

7. Do the original discs play in your computer properly with Anydvd running in the background? YES

As to the blue line and camera icon, I tried playing the original video on another dvd player and television. The icon is still there, but there is no blue line on that television. As you suggested, I'll experiment with the remote and see if I can figure that out. I appreciate your help. I would really like to preserve my original dvds and have copies available for my daily use.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_FULL_WORKOUT.zip
    83.9 KB · Views: 3
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PS01 2005/10/27

Your drive's firmware is outdated (signficantly).

1. Update your drive's firmware: http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/SHW-160P6S/firmware/PS0C.zip

InCDPass (System32\DRIVERS\InCDPass.sys), Version: 4.3.7.3 (4.3.7.3)
Company: Ahead Software AG
Product: InCD
Copyright: Copyright 1995-2004 Ahead Software AG and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Description: Ahead RW Filter Driver
Trademarks: InCD is a trademark of Ahead Software AG
FileVersion: 4, 3, 7, 3
ProductVersion: 4, 3, 7, 3

incdrm (system32\drivers\incdrm.sys), Version: 4.3.7.3 (4.3.7.3)
Company: Ahead Software AG
Product: EasyWrite Reader
Copyright: Copyright 1995-2004 Ahead Software AG and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Description: Ahead MRW Filter Driver
Trademarks: InCD is a trademark of Ahead Software AG
FileVersion: 4, 3, 7, 3
ProductVersion: 4, 3, 7, 3

Nero's Incd is packet writing software, which interferes with a lot of programs including Slysoft's. If you want drag-and-drop functionality, use dvd-ram instead, which is more stable. You're also using version 4 of Incd, which is really bad news.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "InCDPass". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "incdrm". click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in mind that whatever program installed those filters will no long function properly.

What blank media are you using?
a) brand name SONY
b)type +R
c)media code D21

Sony is not recommended blank media. While Sony is not atrocious, it would be wise to invest in some Taiyo Yudens (not valuline, not trublu, and probably not linkyo): visit www.supermediastore.com if you're in the U.S.

3. Use recommended blank media (see above)

IT SAYS "preferred speed - MAXIMUM" and I never change that setting.

4. No. Never burn at max, especially when not using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Datalife Plus. Try an 8x or 12x burn speed instead.

5. Ensure that you're changing to booktype of your dvd+r blank media prior to burning in Clonedvd. Do do this, make use of Lite-on's bitsetting utility:
visit http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/utilities/BookType135.zip

6. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and please read fully

Do the original discs play in your computer properly with Anydvd running in the background? YES

Then this isn't a protection issue. And in fact, the original disc doesn't contain any interesting--just typical CSS. That's about as basic as it gets.

As you suggested, I'll experiment with the remote and see if I can figure that out.

I believe that icon is typically related to angle features (you may find the option in your standalone player's setup menu). Or it's possible your dvd player is set to show that icon when playing dvds that contain multiple angles (or it's possible your dvd player is just showing an icon that's indicating a dvd is playing).

Last edited:
Thank you. I understand your instructions. I visited the Liteon website and updated the firmware. I backed up my registry and then decided to uninstall Nero completely because I don't even use it. I get the message about Sony blank media but, since I haven't had any problem with using them in the past, I will visit the supermedia store as you suggested after I deplete my Sony inventory.

I am not suggesting that the issue I'm having is a result of CloneDVD2 not operating properly on my computer or with my media. I have had no problems using CloneDVD2. I thought (and think) there is something different about these DVDs, which is why I posted - wondering if anyone else might have come across this. I made another backup of one of these dvd's tonight. The same thing happened. When I put the copied disc in a dvd player, it advances to the point where I have to select a "view" (front, back, etc) before it will move on to the workout video. On the original DVD each menu selection (front, back, etc.) has a "purple dot" showing the current selection and I can arrow up or down on my remote and press enter. On the copied dvd, there are no dots, and arrowing up or down or pressing enter has no effect. However, if I play the copy on my computer, I can click a selection with my mouse and it will move on to the workout - so, the disc is being copied. The copy just won't respond to my dvd player remote.

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me figure out why I'm having difficulty. I am sure I don't use CloneDVD to its fullest potential - I just "clone" my dvd's and honestly don't understand many of the discussions on this forum. (I didn't even know how to backup my registry, but I googled it and found instructions.) I am willing to accept defeat by Core Rhythms. Thanks again - I really do appreciate your willingness to help.

I backed up my registry and then decided to uninstall Nero completely because I don't even use it.

The problem, I find, with using the uninstall program is that sometimes those Incd filters are still left in the user's registry. Nero Burning Rom is a fairly useful program. Incd, though, can cause problems. You may want to check to ensure those entries aren't in your registry. Just follow the instructions I outlined previously

I thought (and think) there is something different about these DVDs

There may be, but it would be wise to ensure those incd filters are removed first.

When I put the copied disc in a dvd player, it advances to the point where I have to select a "view" (front, back, etc) before it will move on to the workout video. On the original DVD each menu selection (front, back, etc.) has a "purple dot" showing the current selection and I can arrow up or down on my remote and press enter. On the copied dvd, there are no dots, and arrowing up or down or pressing enter has no effect. However, if I play the copy on my computer, I can click a selection with my mouse and it will move on to the workout - so, the disc is being copied. The copy just won't respond to my dvd player remote.

I have read reports where some backed up dvd's menu cursor selections don't appear. These situations are very rare (2 or 4 different titles)--and only with very specific dvds (and possibly very specific standalone dvd players; I'm not sure). That definitely appears to be a Clonedvd issue (not an Anydvd issue). As for why it happens, I have no clue at all.

In those situations, this is what worked everytime (but you probably won't like this because it forces you to buy Verbatim +R DL blank media): click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327 (and I'm almost certain that method will also work for you)

For example, visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3250

Last edited:
I've printed the instructions in your link. If I can digest it, I might give your solution a try :) I'm a little intimated by the thought of DL blank media because I really don't understand what it is or why it is needed, although I think both my dvd drives are DL capable. (I wonder if there is a difference between dual layer and double layer, but I'll research that a little...) If I am successful in ever getting a working copy of these dvds (like you think I will be if I follow those instructions), I will definitely let you know.

Thanks again!

I've printed the instructions in your link. If I can digest it, I might give your solution a try :) I'm a little intimated by the thought of DL blank media because I really don't understand what it is or why it is needed

When you use +R DL blank media you don't need to compress video to fit onto normal single layer blank media.

Most commercial dvd movies are 2 layer discs. Most blank media is single layer. Obviously, it's impossible to fit over 8 gigs of video onto a 4.7GB single layer blank--unless, of course, you shrink the video. Clonedvd compresses video (Clonedvd is a transcoder). When you compress video, you lose picture quality. If you don't compress video, you don't lose picture quality.

Clonecd doesn't compress video.

Your original disc is a 2 layer dvd.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.4.6.9)
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PS01 2005/10/27 17:38
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1834480 sectors (3582 MBytes)
Total size: 2643425 sectors (5162 MBytes)

If you use Clonecd as a solution, then your blank must be at least equal to the size of the original dvd. Clonecd is a 1:1 sector copier.

(I wonder if there is a difference between dual layer and double layer, but I'll research that a little...)

dual = -R DL (useless format)

double = +R DL

Last edited:
THANK YOU !!!
I have now successfully made working copies of my exercise DVD's! I found those Verbatim +RDL dvd's at Best Buy and I checked the box and it says "Made in Singapore" !!
I downloaded the free trial of CloneCD like you suggested but evidently I had done that before because it kept saying my 21 day trial had expired. (I have only purchased CloneDVD/AnyDVD.) However, CloneCD did make an image of my dvd on my computer - it just would not write the file to the disk.

But, I followed your directions EXACTLY until I got to the point of burning with CloneCD. Since I couldn't do that, I decided to try and burn it using Imgburn. It worked perfectly.

I'm thrilled. Thank you so much for taking the time to tutor me on how to finally make a perfect copy of my DVD's.

S

You're very welcome! :agree:

By the way, you've encountered probably the strangest and rarest Clonedvd issue on this forum. I have absolutely no idea why Clonecd works and Clonedvd doesn't (for the cursor selection not showing in the menus).

Also, there's a new Anydvd beta out if you're interested: visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=133295&postcount=1

Take care

Last edited:
Just a little followup. I went ahead and purchased CloneCD because I knew it would just make things so much simpler for me. I was able to successfully backup the shorter workout dvd's to my regular Sony DVD+R discs (original video files considerably less than 4.7GB). So, the problem had to have been caused by the CloneDVD compression and not so much by the type of disc. (And, btw, I had no idea that compression was the difference b/t CloneCD and CloneDVD and that CloneCD could copy dvd's.) I'll probably just use CloneCD for workout dvd's in the future because they are usually relatively small video files. This has definitely been a learning experience .. and I had almost given up trying to ever get those discs to copy!

I also downloaded the AnyDVD beta. I have no idea what makes it different for what I had, but it worked like a charm.

I will be back should I encounter another dilemma. This forum is a valuable resource and ya'll provide a great service for slysoft customers!
Thanks again.
S

Just a little followup. I went ahead and purchased CloneCD because I knew it would just make things so much simpler for me. I was able to successfully backup the shorter workout dvd's to my regular Sony DVD+R discs (original video files considerably less than 4.7GB).

That's pretty strange as the original disc you gave me info for is bigger than a single layer dvd: "Total size: 5162 MBytes". A single layer dvd holds up to 4.7GB.

Concerning your Sony blank media, again, while it's not causing your issue, it would be still be far wiser to switch to the blank media I recommended, in particular Taiyo Yuden.

So, the problem had to have been caused by the CloneDVD compression and not so much by the type of disc.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with compression. Clonedvd is just missing something that Clonecd isn't for some reason.

(And, btw, I had no idea that compression was the difference b/t CloneCD and CloneDVD and that CloneCD could copy dvd's.)

That's not the only difference. Clonecd is a 1:1 sector copier, so it will copy everything not just video. That is, if the original dvd contains PC files (extras like wallpapers, screensavers, gamers), Clonecd will back those files up. Clonedvd only backs up video.

I will be back should I encounter another dilemma. This forum is a valuable resource and ya'll provide a great service for slysoft customers!
Thanks again.

Sure. Take care

Back