• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Region 1 Chronicles of Narnia Prince...

dude2063

Anydvd 6.4.9.0 and older A.I.scan issues/problems are correct with this title. I have to open the task manager to shut down anydvd or restart "my" pc after patiently waiting more than 2-3 minutes for the scan/read process to finish. All other open and running processes are minimal with no other program conflicts!!! 6.4.9.0 will not solve all the problems people are having i.e. taking too long to read/scan disc when inserted into dvd drive. 2 Sony drives attempted. Upon opening the task manager WinXP SP3... the anydvdtray process uses 95-100% of the available CPU until manually terminated. CloneDVD2 current etc, etc...

Anydvd 6.4.9.0 and older A.I.scan issues/problems are correct with this title. I have to open the task manager to shut down anydvd or restart "my" pc after patiently waiting more than 2-3 minutes for the scan/read process to finish. All other open and running processes are minimal with no other program conflicts!!! 6.4.9.0 will not solve all the problems people are having i.e. taking too long to read/scan disc when inserted into dvd drive. 2 Sony drives attempted. Upon opening the task manager WinXP SP3... the anydvdtray process uses 95-100% of the available CPU until manually terminated. CloneDVD2 current etc, etc...

The scan, in some cases, depending on the system and the disc protection can take up to ~10 minutes to scan. This isn't normal but it is quite possible. I had no issues with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Region 1). I put it in and simply waited until I was given the all clear by the program.

From my logs:

parse_image took 49 seconds

Last edited:
In one of my machines it took over a minute or two... felt like forever. I won't even try it in my P3 850.... :)

-W

Took about 30 seconds to prescan but all backed up well with anydvd & CloneDVD@.

All I did was just restart the computer, pop in the narnia 2 and copied. the scan took less then a minute.

Hi dude2063,

If you have a DVD burner other than your Sony's, I would try that, or a friends. Since different burners use different chipsets, sometimes the chipset determines whether or not the DVD can be read. When I have problems with my Samsung not being able to read a DVD, or simply taking forever to read it (I feel your pain), I put it into my LG blu-ray drive, and usually it will have fewer problems "reading" the DVD. There are a few DVD's that I've come across that my Samsung simply refuses to be able to read with AnyDVD, but my LG has no problem with them, although it may take longer than usual to read them. I think a lot of times, that is why problems are hard to reproduce unless you specify the model of the DVD burner that you are using and its firmware version.

Although the DVD burner is listed in the log files, I'm not sure if this is ever taken into consideration when troubleshooting a problem. I could be wrong. I think that a permanent thread should be started listing different type burners and their ability to read/not read/take forever with certain movies. At least this would provide an easy way for people to check their drive's read performance/issues with AnyDVD and certain movies.

Good luck.

Hi again,

Just found this posted by bbdd over in another thread:

"I forgot I had an external LG USB DVD-RAM drive lying around. I have plugged it in and it's running Ripper right now. It has already gotten past the point where the Plextor drive stopped, so at this point, I am going to assume the Plextor was the problem originally."

I think that when people say "AnyDVD has no problem with this DVD", then the disc is usually labeled as "bad". While this may be the case in some cases, it can also mean that the DVD reader itself is the problem.

I would definitely try a different burner and see if that works for you.

I've got a computer that's pretty "new"...and fast...And it took about 15 minutes before AnyDvd finished the scan. Must be just a lot of encryption to break.

I think what it freaking people out is that AnyDvd doesn't give you any icon saying "scanning". It just sits there reading "on: 0 off: 0", which makes people think nothing is happening. And while it is scanning, even if you go into settings it will say "no disc in drive (insert your drive letter here)".

I've got a computer that's pretty "new"...and fast...And it took about 15 minutes before AnyDvd finished the scan. Must be just a lot of encryption to break.

I think what it freaking people out is that AnyDvd doesn't give you any icon saying "scanning". It just sits there reading "on: 0 off: 0", which makes people think nothing is happening. And while it is scanning, even if you go into settings it will say "no disc in drive (insert your drive letter here)".

You do make a valid point. If you have the balloon tips turned on then it tells you when it begins. When the disc is read the red fox becomes dark red again as opposed to a pale or greyish-red. Having the Show information window for new media setting checked just makes it 100% understood when the scanning is done.

On older processors I could see this process taking longer and requiring a lot of processing. I will note that it took far longer for scanning when I created log files than when I initially scanned the disc by popping it in my DVD drive. The processing speed can be influenced by the CPU, DVD, and the type of protection. The more complex the protection is then the longer scanning is likely to take.

Operator error

Problem solved!
My apologies. This movie will work w/the proper amount of patience. Instant gratification is obviously my problem. I'm not use to a 4 minute delay during the scan/read process.
Thanks for all the advice.

You do make a valid point. If you have the balloon tips turned on then it tells you when it begins. When the disc is read the red fox becomes dark red again as opposed to a pale or greyish-red. Having the Show information window for new media setting checked just makes it 100% understood when the scanning is done.

On older processors I could see this process taking longer and requiring a lot of processing. I will note that it took far longer for scanning when I created log files than when I initially scanned the disc by popping it in my DVD drive. The processing speed can be influenced by the CPU, DVD, and the type of protection. The more complex the protection is then the longer scanning is likely to take.

Once it went through the initial scan, I created an ISO file in about 20 minutes. Just slightly longer than the usual 10 or 15 minutes that I usually need.

Seems to work fine.

You do know that ripping direct to ISO with the AnyDVD ripper is a bad idea - right?

-W

I actually rip still with dvd shrink direct to iso as long as shrink will handle it. Haven't had any troubles with doing that yet.

If a disk contains structural protection, it's best to rip with the AnyDVD ripper THEN rip that rip to an ISO with Shrink. No troubles *yet* is the key. :D

-W (avid Shrink user)

I did CON - Prince Caspian Region 4 which has same ludicrous protection as Region1 - no issues at all - am using laptop with built in DVD burner - LG Hitachi or vice versa, and this laptop is under 12 months old, so possibly you may have an old burner or just a system issue.

If a disk contains structural protection, it's best to rip with the AnyDVD ripper THEN rip that rip to an ISO with Shrink. No troubles *yet* is the key. :D

-W (avid Shrink user)

By no troubles yet, I just mean when DVD Shrink works it comes out fine...occasionally DVD shrink will not be able to process because it of course doesn't update anymore, but when that happens, I do what you suggest and all is fine.

I just try it direct with dvd shrink first to save time.

By no troubles yet, I just mean when DVD Shrink works it comes out fine...occasionally DVD shrink will not be able to process because it of course doesn't update anymore, but when that happens, I do what you suggest and all is fine.

I just try it direct with dvd shrink first to save time.

If you do this with an X-Protect disc (ie Blade: House of Cthon) you won't get any error messages at all but you'll definitely notice a problem when you playback the backup later.

And as the fearless leader of the resident Shrink Fanboyz Club (tm) ; I can assure you that there are some titles that will open with Shrink, appear to work, and yield a mess.

At the very least, always compare the Main Movie timestamp with what the DVD cover says.

-W

Last edited:
Narnia problem

My experience in trying to copy the new Narnia DVD was that when I put the DVD in my DVD drive, it seemed like my PC froze and I manually shut it down 3 times. Finally, I guess I waited long enough and AnyDVD analyzed the DVD and gave the info screen. So I started copying it with CloneDVD2. It got to 70% several times before I sent the LOG to ELBY. Peter came back with some interesting ways to get the DVD to copy. But one of the possible reasons for the error presented to me by CloneDVD2 was that my DVD drive did not have a region assigned to it. So I went to my DVD Drive, and set it to Region "United Staes" (I assume this is Region 1). Then I copied the DVD without error. I have used CloneDVD2 for many years without this being an issue. It must be something new with this Disney DVD.

Back