• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Explorer Icon and Drive Label issue on XP64

KPAdmiral

I installed the latest version posted on the main page of Virtual CloneDrive.

When I opened Windows Explorer I found that ALL my drive icons were sheep, and that ALL my removable drives (CD/DVD Drives, Floppy Drives) were labeled as Virtual CloneDrives.

The only exceptions are the removable drives (USB thumbdrives) which have an autorun with a custom icon that show as normal, but are still labeled as Virtual CloneDrives.

This may seem like a minor inconvenience, but I cannot tell which drives are clone drives, and which are my real DVD drives, unless I insert a disc and the the icon (if available) and the volume label will appear.

Not to mention it'd be nice to know what kind of removable drive they were instead of trying to guess which device is what drive letter.

Picture attached to show what I mean.

I'm running Windows XP Pro x64 edition SP2 with all updates. I am also running as a user with administrative privleges.

EDIT: I have a CD/DVD combo drive, a DVD/BD drive, and one CloneDrive.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 10
Tried rebuilding the cache, as well as uninstalling Virtual CloneDrive. Strangely everything was still labeled as CloneDrives even after uninstalling the program. Although the icons changed from sheep to file folders. So essentially I have no drive icons at all, and all removable drives are labeled CloneDrives even though it is not installed. Frustrating, as I'm sure this is some kind of borked up registry settings. I have no idea what settings the program modifies in order to set icons, or what to label drives.

Has this happened before?

I don't believe I've seen this before. I also have no experience with XP x64.

One thing that you are doing that I generally don't see is that you had one of your virtual drives set to Drive A. I'm of the mindset to reserve Drive A and Drive B for floppy drives or to not use them at all and have HDDs come before virtual drives. I have no idea if this would have any impact on the situation but if you uninstalled the software I see no reason why things should still be acting as they are.

Actually Drive A: IS my floppy drive. This is exactly what my post is about. After installing VCD onto my system, all removable drive types were changed to VCD, and all drive icons changed to sheep. I have no idea why that would have happened. The mystery thickened as after I uninstalled it, the only change was there were no more sheep icons, that's it, but instead displayed file folders instead of actual drive icons. It is my belief that this is because the exe/dll which the system looked for the icon of the sheep, is gone. Instead it defaulted to another icon, which would be a folder, instead of the actual drive type.

FWIW I have XP x64, and have no such problems with VCD and drive icons.

Mystery Solved. Doing a complete registry sweep for Virtual CloneDrive turned up icon/label entries under.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

Deleted the DriveIcons Key and all subkeys set windows back to default drive icons and labels.

Not sure how that all happened, but I'm glad it was a simple remedy. Thanks for effort everyone.

I installed the latest version posted on the main page of Virtual CloneDrive.

When I opened Windows Explorer I found that ALL my drive icons were sheep, and that ALL my removable drives (CD/DVD Drives, Floppy Drives) were labeled as Virtual CloneDrives.

Thank you for reporting. I can confirm this to be a bug in Virtual CloneDrive on XP64. It will be fixed in the next beta/release version.

Back