• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] CloneDVD oversized ISOs

sroemer

I have searched the threads, but cannot find a similar problem I am seeing.

I backup all of my DVDs to ISO files using a registered version of CloneDVD2. Normally, the ISO files are 5-8 gigabytes, which is expected. However, sometimes (most recently Toy Story 3) the DVD produces an ISO file of closer to 40 gigabytes. I do not change any setting from DVD to DVD except for the title. The backup normally takes well over an hour when the file is larger, which leads me to believe it is in fact seeing this data. However, I know that standard DVDs do not hold more than 8.4 gigabytes.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be or where I can find the answer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

if you rip the DVD with cloneDVD2 then there's no way you can end up with a 40GB folder. The only way i can possibly imagine this happening is that you try to copy the files of a structurally protected disc via windows explorer or something.

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand that I shouldn't be able to get a 40GB ISO from a standard DVD. I have however, backed up dozens of DVDs and only Toy Story 3, Prince of Persia, Iron Man 2 and The Sorcer's Apprentice have generated larger than normal files. I have reviewed the files of the ISO and it appears CloneDVD is producing seven different versions of each VOB file in the case of Toy Story 3. This has produced an ISO file of 79GB. This would make sense if seven different versions of the same VOB is being produced, but I cannot figure out how I am making the different versions of the same VOB. Only these four DVDS have done this.

I am at a loss.

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand that I shouldn't be able to get a 40GB ISO from a standard DVD. I have however, backed up dozens of DVDs and only Toy Story 3, Prince of Persia, Iron Man 2 and The Sorcer's Apprentice have generated larger than normal files. I have reviewed the files of the ISO and it appears CloneDVD is producing seven different versions of each VOB file in the case of Toy Story 3. This has produced an ISO file of 79GB. This would make sense if seven different versions of the same VOB is being produced, but I cannot figure out how I am making the different versions of the same VOB. Only these four DVDS have done this.

I am at a loss.

Please post AnyDVD log files, post CloneDVD log files, and give us a step by step rundown of how you created the ISO using AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

I had an idea of how to replicate this and I just did... I created a 41 GB ISO image by selecting the original DVD (Iron Man 2) containing structural protections. I selected Write Existing Data and set the output to an ISO file. The output was 41 GB because when using Write Existing Data there is no processing done by CloneDVD. This isn't the correct way to create an ISO from a protected DVD. In general, I don't recommend this method at all for ripping a disc.

If your goal is to create an ISO image with protections removed then use Copy DVD Titles or Clone DVD and then output to an ISO through either one of those methods.

I created a full-disc ISO using Clone DVD and selecting all titles, audio streams, and sub-titles. The resulting ISO was 6.89 GB. So, my suspicion is that this issue is user error in the method being used to create the ISO.

Thank you everyone.

DrinkLyeAndDie, you hit it right on the head. Your recreation was exactly what I was doing. It appeared to me to create an exact duplicate of the DVD with all files intact. When I reripped the disk through Clone DVD, the problem went away. Thank you very much for all your help!

Back