• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved by changing cables] Copy successful, but can't play DVD

Juardis

Hi all, doesn't really matter which movie I try to backup, CloneDVD2 says copy is successful. However, whenever I try to play it, none of my apps recognize that there is a movie on the disk. Yet, when I try to Clone the disk I just made, CloneDVD recognizes the files and will happily copy them. I can't play them back, but CloneDVD recognizes that they are there.

Technical details:
AnyDVD updated to latest (6.4.5.5)
ClondeDVD updated to latest (2.9.1.9)
Win XP Pro, SP2
Using Memorex +R DL, never had a problem with them before
Samsung SH-S183L DVD/CD RW SATA
ASUS DRW-2014L1T DVD/CD RW SATA

All firmware up to date, but neither drive can recognize a burned copy from CloneDVD2. Both burners can successfully copy (or so says CloneDVD2), but nothing can read it. Not the burners that burned it, not my DVD player connected to my TV, not my laptop, nothing. I know the data is there because I can see the burned segments on the discs (and CloneDVD2 sees them too if I try to copy the disc that cannot play), but nothing can read it.

Oh, and just for grins, I'm attempting to attach the latest CloneDVD2 logfile from yet another failed attempt to back up my DVDs (this particular one is the Digital remaster of Star Wars, A New Hope). Don't think it's particularly helpful, but a sticky here said to do so, so I am. And yes, CloneDVD2 did work for a long time using these same Memorex blanks, now it does not and I cannot identify any reason as to why it does not. I even bought some different blanks and no luck. It's like the disc is not being finalized for some reason.

Any and all help is appreciated.

edit: additional info - AnyDVD region code set to 1 (U.S./Canada), all options in the Anydvd settings tab are selected, no apparent problems with AnyDVD, just with CloneDVD.

edit2 - problem solved, see post below for details

Attachments

• success.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
AnyDVD updated to latest (6.4.5.5)

That's not the latest

Using Memorex +R DL

junk (Ritek)

never had a problem with them before

Doesn't matter

1. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not valueline), Verbatim, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

For +R DL blank media, use Verbatim made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

2. Don't burn at max. Use a 4x burn speed with +R DL blank media

3. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

This is a necessary step BEFORE burning.

4. Post an Anydvd log .zip file. Instructions can be found in the stickies you're supposed to read before posting at the top of the forum.

Last edited:
General question on finalizing discs

I can copy pretty much any movie (using CloneDVD) to any blank DVD using either of my 2 DVD writers. I know, because CloneDVD says writing is successful and I can see the tracks burned into the discs. What I cannot do is get any software to recognize that there is data there. Not Windows XP, not Nero, not CloneDVD, nothing. And if I insert the burned DVD when CloneDVD asks for blank media, it says the disc is not blank.

So I'm guessing something is preventing the disc from being finalized. My question is, is there a setting in CloneDVD that does that or is it more generic, like a Windows XP setting? If it's a Windows setting, then I'll continue researching what to do, but I haven't found an answer to my problem yet. Hoping it's a simple setting in CloneDVD that I'm missing.

by the way, I'm using SATA DVD writers. Burning used to work fine, but not for the past 5 months or so. Using CloneDVD 2.9.2.0 now.

That's what happens when you use junk blank media.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 to see what you should be doing (follow the steps, step by step)
Per a previous FAQ on these boards, I am only using Verbatim +R DL (or -R DL). A coaster is a coaster is a coaster though, Verbatims are just more expensive coasters and if I'm going to be experimenting, I would rather experiment with junk media. But as I said, I'm using Verbatim at the moment, although I'm quickly running out due to all the failures.

And thanks for the link. I have read that thread multiple times now and have followed the directions already. What I gather from your response then is that CloneDVD does not have a setting I overlooked. Sigh...the hunt continues. Thanks for your help.

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"
n) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Provide the Clonedvd log file after Clonedvd has finished--or after you receive an error message.

attachment.php

a)In the white area under the tab labelled "Log", right click and select "save as".
b)Select where you want to save the log, and then save it.
c) The log will be a .txt file. Zip it up using Winzip or another program. If the text file is small enough, you should be able to upload it anyway. Otherwise, use Winzip.
d) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
e) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
f) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
j) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file (or .txt file) that you created.
k) click "upload"
l) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

3. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

4. Are you changing booktype prior to bruning?

5. Provide a media code

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

6. What motherboard brand and model number are you using?

problem solved

It wasn't cloneDVD, it was hardware related, which was one of the answers I was hoping to find out when I originally posted this. I'm updating this in the hopes that some poor fool in the future doing internet research finds this thread and it helps them.

Short story - it was the SATA cables to my DVD burners that were, if not bad, then at least insufficient.

Long story - after Webslinger informed me that there was no special switch or option in cloneDVD or anyDVD, that led me to search elsewhere.

Symptoms, in order of appearance:

1. Data would write to DVD, no DVD player could read it
2. The movies on some discs, known to be good, couldn't be read by cloneDVD
3. System (Windows) eventually became very slow and unresponsive whenever I tried copying using cloneDVD
4. Started getting verbosepageform errors when shutting system down (internet search pointed to NERO 6 problems, although I had Nero 7 at the time)
5. Eventually, system would hang on bootup when intitializing the DVD drive
6. Eventually, system wouldn't boot up AT ALL, in safe mode or otherwise (it would stop at MUP.SYS if anyone is familiar with that).

I tried changing BIOS settings, boot sequence, Windows settings, reverting back to previous BIOSes and firmware, tyring beta drivers, etc all to no avail. So I reformatted harddrive, reinstalled windows, added a 2nd DVD drive, but problems 1-6 reappeared. So that got me to thinking it was hardware related and not software related.

So I bought new motherboard, reinstalled windows, loaded the minimum of software (no virusscanner, no DVD burning or reading software, just windows and office and internet stuff). System was running smooth, so I installed virusscanner no problems. Then I installed anyDVD and cloneDVD and all was right with the world for the first week or so, then problems 1-5 showed up. Finally, I replaced the SATA cables to my DVD drives and for the last month I have been a happy user of anyDVD and cloneDVD and my system is running smoothly.

So for anyone experiencing problems like I document in this thread, easiest thing to try first is to replace your cables. Who knew bad cables could cause such problems?

it was hardware related

I was starting down that path when I posted question 6 from my previous reply. Typically I will recommend trying to swap cables when read issues manifest themselves when trying to backup original discs (if you're going to have a bad cable, typically you should also experience reading issues before you experience writing issues), but you didn't mention reading issues (until now). For example, click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=190828&postcount=6 (point "D").

Anyway, thank you for reporting back

Last edited:
Back