• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Burning Problems??

Foxhammer

Hi I am new to the forum.
I am having issues with burned DVD’s such as freezing and data pixilation on a scene(like some of the data is missing).
I am using anydvd and clone dvd burning DVD+R D/L discs.
Brands are Vertabim, Memorex, and Staples Brand.
Burning at X4 or X8 speeds mostly at X8.

Burning method maybe part of the issue, let me explain, but before I do I have contacted slysoft and they have advised me to check a number of things, which I have, and are now all corrected.
When I backup a new dvd movie say released today, I don’t immediately burn the backup, instead I make a data file and store it on my computer for burning later. Now let’s move two weeks forward in time, and it has been realized that there are ‘issues’ with that particular DVD and anydvd now has put out a fix for it.
Is my backed up data file from previous affected by the update to fix issue?
Can my old data file be rescanned by anydvd or clone dvd to fix issues?
Do I have to put back in my original DVD and start all over to apply fix and resave data file?

Is this the cause of my issues?? Or is it something else?
I have applied all recommended fixes by slysoft, but I haven’t tried it yet, so I am not sure if it works for new dvd’s.
That being said I have a larger number of movies saved in temp folder and I really don’t want to go back and redo them all, so hence the question.

Thanks,

Foxhammer

If a release fixes a problem with a movie release and you already ripped it to your HDD then you need to re-rip the original DVD again.

Pixellation and freezing is a sign of a bad burn which can occur when garbage media is used (ie Memorex) or burning at too high a speed. AnyDVD has nothing to do with this particular issue since it isn't used for burning. What program do you use to burn your backups?

Last edited:
Clone DVD Latest Beta version. I choose 'write existing data' option.

Is there any way that you can test a burned dvd for problems like this prior to watching it and finding if the burn was good or bad?

Software to test?

Any recommended speeds to burn at when burning D/L?

Vertabim is made in India, by Mitsubshi.

Memorex is made in Taiwan, by Ritek

Staple Brand is made in Taiwan, by Ritek

I advise reading the CloneDVD FAQ: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5083

Clone DVD Latest Beta version. I choose 'write existing data' option.

That's fine.

Is there any way that you can test a burned dvd for problems like this prior to watching it and finding if the burn was good or bad?

Software to test?

To test to see if there was an issue with protection removal pertaining to bogus titles or such that might be later fixed in an update the best method is to rip to watch or scan through the movie from your HDD using a software player such as PowerDVD or Arcsoft Total Media Theatre. If you see no problems then there shouldn't be a problem with the burned backup disc.

Any recommended speeds to burn at when burning D/L?

I burn my DL backups at 4x and I always use Verbatim DL blanks made in Singapore. For SL backups I burn at 8x or 12x using Verbatim blanks made in Taiwan.

Vertabim is made in India, by Mitsubshi.

The India made discs aren't bad, per se, but I would recommend the media manufactured in Taiwan. I avoid the blanks made in India in terms of Verbatim discs. I prefer the Verbatim's made in Taiwan for SL blanks and Singapore for DL blanks.

Memorex is made in Taiwan, by Ritek

All Memorex should be avoided.

Staple Brand is made in Taiwan, by Ritek

I would also avoid this brand. I wouldn't buy Ritek made blanks.

Politely put, Memorex and Ritek media are junk. If you burn junk media at 8x you are just increasing the chance of a bad burn and your chances are already high to begin with. Cheaper junk media also has a shorter lifetime and the dye tends to degrade faster. Your burns may be good when you initially create the backup but 2 years from now your standalone DVD player or DVD drive on your computer may not be able to read the disc enough to watch the movie.

Using good quality media lowers the chances of a bad burn and means your backups will have a much longer lifespan. Spending a little extra on blank media is made up for by the longevity of the backup. Think of it as an investment. Also, if you always buy your blanks on sale the price works out to not be that far off buying junky brand media. I always order online when Verbatim blanks are on sale with free shipping. I've purchased my Verbatim's for cheaper than Memorex blanks sell for.

Refer here for recommended media: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=549

Last edited:
When I backup a new dvd movie say released today, I don’t immediately burn the backup, instead I make a data file and store it on my computer for burning later. Now let’s move two weeks forward in time, and it has been realized that there are ‘issues’ with that particular DVD and anydvd now has put out a fix for it.
Is my backed up data file from previous affected by the update to fix issue?
Can my old data file be rescanned by anydvd or clone dvd to fix issues?
Do I have to put back in my original DVD and start all over to apply fix and resave data file?

Foxhammer,

I am not sure I understand the quote above. If there is an issue ripping the DVD then how can you rip it and save it to your HDD when it is first released? Seems to me that you would not be able to rip it and save it to your HDD until the fix for the disk has been released. Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are doing.

Foxhammer,

I am not sure I understand the quote above. If there is an issue ripping the DVD then how can you rip it and save it to your HDD when it is first released? Seems to me that you would not be able to rip it and save it to your HDD until the fix for the disk has been released. Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are doing.

I assume Foxhammer is referring to problems with movies such as Shoot 'Em Up, Get Smart, or Mr Woodcock where the protection was removed but there might be an issue with the content of the backup.

Yes, if the problem is the protection then the process may error. If it's more about differentiating between bogus and valid material and a fix is released to resolve this then the entire DVD should be re-ripped.

Exactly to the last reply. Its the bogus title stuff. Sorry I am a bit of a noobie when it comes to quality burning of DVD's.

Learning lots though and appreciate all of your advice.

Are all Verbatim +R D/L good?

Or is only one kind made in Singapore?

What speed is worth buying. I noticed Verbatim have a number of different speed ranges available for burning D/L.

Next project is to burn blue-ray home dvd's of family. Need to buy equipment first, then learn how to properly burn blue-ray.

Last edited:
Exactly to the last reply. Its the bogus title stuff. Sorry I am a bit of a noobie when it comes to quality burning of DVD's.

Learning lots though and appreciate all of your advice.

No problem. :)

Are all Verbatim +R D/L good?

Or is only one kind made in Singapore?

All companies who manufacture blank media for Verbatim are held to a certain standard. They are supposed to manufacture them to Verbatim's specifications. While I wouldn't intentionally get MII (Made in India) blanks I am not going to say that they are complete garbage. I just tend to feel more confident with blanks made in Singapore and Taiwan. I would still buy the MII blanks before purchasing any blanks other than Taiyo Yuden blank media.

My understanding is that only the DL blanks from Verbatim were still made in Singapore but that may have changed and they may no longer be manufactured there. I don't believe that SL blank media is produced in Singapore at all for Verbatim but I could be wrong. So, if the media isn't made in Singapore then the next best Verbatim discs are the MIT (Made in Taiwan) blanks. Last is MII (Made in India)

What speed is worth buying. I noticed Verbatim have a number of different speed ranges available for burning D/L.

I pay more but I buy the 8x rated DL blanks that are manufactured in Singapore. As I noted earlier I don't believe they are still being manufactured in Singapore anymore. I pay more but I still burn my 8x rated Verbatim DLs at 4x. I haven't ever had a bad burn with these blanks.

The DL blanks I buy are rated at 8x but can be burned at 10x. I still burn at 4x. You can also buy 2.4x-6x rated DVD+R DL Verbatim blanks. These run cheaper than the 8x-10x, of course.

I only use DVD+R media. DVD-R media should simply be avoided. Obviously, your drive needs to support burning DVD+R media but all burners should do so these days. DVD-R media is simply not worth the time or money.

Next project is to burn blue-ray home dvd's of family. Need to buy equipment first, then learn how to properly burn blue-ray.

That's a whole different ballgame. I have yet to buy a Blu-ray burner because the prices simply don't make it economically feasible at this time.

Last night I was up scouring the forums, and I’m convinced now that its bad media I am dealing with.
I burned my movie three times, using the 3 brands I mentioned.
The results were:
Staples: Failed, Anydvd couldn’t even read it. Throughout the disc.
Memorex: Failed at the layer break point.
Vertabim (india): had a few minor issues, but nothing that the player couldn’t overcome.

I used a program called ‘Opti Drive Control’ to run the tests.

On another note I learned a lot last night, and came up with a solution to my problem that I originally posted, I think! You guys tell me if this scenario will work. It’s more of a curiosity question….
First, close ‘Anydvd’ place store bought movie dvd into machine, and rip ISO Image file using ‘Imgburn’ save to HDD. Using my example move two weeks ahead now. ‘Anydvd’ has put out a ‘fix’ for bogus titles, etc. Mount ISO Image file using ‘VirtualCloneDVD’ and have updated ‘Anydvd’ rescan file, and fix issues. Then burn with ‘CloneDvd’.
(Not that I would need to do this, but you might one day!!!)
What do you think guys??? Not bad for a noobie…..I think it will work…..

First, close ‘Anydvd’ place store bought movie dvd into machine, and rip ISO

NEVER put a disc in your drive without AnyDVD running (that isn't blank). Rootkits could be installed on your computer. AnyDVD keeps that from happening by not allowing Autorun.

First, close ‘Anydvd’ place store bought movie dvd into machine, and rip ISO Image file using ‘Imgburn’ save to HDD. Using my example move two weeks ahead now. ‘Anydvd’ has put out a ‘fix’ for bogus titles, etc. Mount ISO Image file using ‘VirtualCloneDVD’ and have updated ‘Anydvd’ rescan file, and fix issues. Then burn with ‘CloneDvd’.

I would think it would be much easier and take less time to (1) have AnyDVD running, (2) create ISO using CloneDVD, (3) watch the forum to see if anyone is having issues with the movie, (4) burn to disc using CloneDVD.

Don't see the need to add the other steps and/or software unless you just really like the other software.

Ok works for me!

That's why I posed the question to see if my theory would work...

I guess that's why I am a noobie....(lol)

What's a rootkit??

Thanks for you advice!

Last night I was up scouring the forums, and I’m convinced now that its bad media I am dealing with.
I burned my movie three times, using the 3 brands I mentioned.
The results were:
Staples: Failed, Anydvd couldn’t even read it. Throughout the disc.
Memorex: Failed at the layer break point.
Vertabim (india): had a few minor issues, but nothing that the player couldn’t overcome.

I used a program called ‘Opti Drive Control’ to run the tests.

This is likely a combination of the brand of media and your DVD burner. I'm not surprised to see that the Verbatim had the best results.

On another note I learned a lot last night, and came up with a solution to my problem that I originally posted, I think! You guys tell me if this scenario will work. It’s more of a curiosity question….

You cannot exit AnyDVD and then use ImgBurn to create an ISO image from a disc with CSS protection. I'd say that 99% of commercial DVD releases make use of CSS. The 1% that don't are from the very small studios who tend to release direct-to-DVD B Movies. This workaround simply won't work for 99% of commercially sold DVD movie releases.

My suggestion is simply to re-rip the entire disc which shouldn't be an issue if you already own the disc. To save wasted time you would be better off waiting a week before making a backup to see if any issues crop up. With a vast majority of movies there is not a problem where a fix is required.

When there is an issue with a new DVD release the forums will be inundated with reports on release day and the following day. I would recommend visiting the forums every Tuesday and Wednesday.

Save yourself wasted time and effort.

Well, I went out and bought some more DVD D/L Discs. I bought a 30pack spindle of Vertabim made in Singapore. Hard to find, but found them. I again burned a movie I was having trouble with freezing and pixelation problems. I am happy to report that I had no problems with the burn when watching the dvd.

Man I had no idea that disc quality varied that much! I have two spindles of memorex D/L that I pretty much paid the same for the Vertabims, that sucks. I guess I'll have to toss'em. Unless anyone knows if they are ok for data backups such as emails, documents, data software or family pictures?

Should I trust them or not???

Well, I went out and bought some more DVD D/L Discs. I bought a 30pack spindle of Vertabim made in Singapore. Hard to find, but found them. I again burned a movie I was having trouble with freezing and pixelation problems. I am happy to report that I had no problems with the burn when watching the dvd.

Great!

Man I had no idea that disc quality varied that much! I have two spindles of memorex D/L that I pretty much paid the same for the Vertabims, that sucks.

A lot of people, including some of my friends, see Memorex for sale in a local store and jump all over them. They think all media is the same. They talk about what a great price they got them for. I then order my Verbatim blanks online, on sale, with free shipping, and paid less or maybe a couple of cents more per disc and I never have bad burns or a backup that suddenly won't play in any DVD players a year or two later. I'm saved a lot of headaches while my friends continue to delude themselves about what a great deal they got! ;) Yes, there is a huge difference in quality when it comes to DVD blanks and it really is disgusting because the industry knows just how bad the discs being sold are. I find it unacceptable but no one seems to care about cracking down on the pathetic quality control.

I guess I'll have to toss'em. Unless anyone knows if they are ok for data backups such as emails, documents, data software or family pictures?

Should I trust them or not???

I would not even use them for anything you actually value. They have already proven themselves to be extremely bad quality. If you use them for backups then you are still risking a bad burn and, worse yet, you may go back later to get something from one of those discs and it may not be readable due to dye degradation because they are garbage quality media. I'd sooner give the discs away or throw them in the garbage than use them for backing up anything of importance. I would not recommend using them for data backups.

Back