• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] AnyDVD not removing CSS/"Drive not ready"

inevitable

I spent the last couple hours Googling and reading and trying everything I could (including all the things that applied from the sticky in this forum), but no luck.

CloneDVD and other programs give a "disc is copy protected" error. "Rip Video DVD to hard disk" fails with the error "Drive G: is not ready!" (G: is the drive with the DVD in it). This happens for a bunch of different movies, the condition of the disks appears excellent. Also, "create logfile" doesn't work. Hopefully someone here can help?

The drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K05
AnyDVD is version 6.5.2.2, here is the output from ImgBurn:

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.2.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: Pfc
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: redbook
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys
File Version: 2.0.6.1
File Description: CD/DVD Class Filter Driver
Product Name: GEAR.wrks
Product Version: 8.xx [2.0.6.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
Copyright: Copyright (c) GEAR Software Inc. 2006

Filter Name: Pfc
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
File Version: 2, 5, 0, 202 [2.5.0.202]
File Description: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Name: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 2, 5, 0, 202 [2.5.0.202]
Company Name: Padus, Inc.
Copyright: (C) Padus, Inc. 1999-2001. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 6.5.2.2
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.5.2.2
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2009 SlySoft, Inc.

Wait a sec . . . You posted originally in the Anydvd HD forum (which is for Blu-ray and HD-DVDs only).

Are you trying to rip a Blu-ray disc?

(G: is the drive with the DVD in it)

So a dvd--and not a Blu-ray?

Last edited:
It's an HP e-PC 42 (it takes a laptop optical drive but a full size hard drive). OS is XP Pro, SP3. I posted in AnyDVD HD forum because the application that I installed was called "AnyDVD HD" -- or so I thought -- but no, it is just plain old DVDs I am trying to use. Sorry for the bad post.

The Anydvd forum is for dvds; the Anydvd HD is for Blu-ray and HD-DVDs.

Follow the steps in the order that they are listed in (and I would appreciate answers to 1d and 1e):

1. a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?
e) Run a dvd software playback program. Select the "video_ts.ifo" file found in the video_ts folder. Does the movie play?

2. Contact HP, and see if a firmware update is available for your drive. If so, update your drive's firmware.

3. Click this

Do what it says to do

Filter Name: Pfc
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
File Version: 2, 5, 0, 202 [2.5.0.202]
File Description: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Name: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 2, 5, 0, 202 [2.5.0.202]
Company Name: Padus, Inc.
Copyright: (C) Padus, Inc. 1999-2001. All rights reserved

It's possible this filter is causing some conflict.

4. i) Create a backup of your registry: click http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "Pfc". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

5. Install Anydvd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=175650&postcount=1

You may need to reboot if prompted.

6. Click the red fox icon on your desktop. Click "default". Click "ok".

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that you're in
viii. Start Anydvd

8. If you still have problems at this point, try another drive

Last edited:
1d) Yes, VIDEO_TS is there and contains files
1e) Yes, the files play back correctly
2) HP doesn't make the drive, but there do not appear to be any firmware updates from Pioneer for this drive.
3) Didn't work.
4-5) Didn't work.
6) Never had changed settings, but this didn't help. I have tried safe-mode as well, no good.
7) Drive was already set to Region 1; I selected Region 1 and clicked OK anyway, but I do not think it altered anything (still have 4 region changes left :rolleyes:)
8) Had another drive (not a burner) handy, encountered the exact same problem when trying a) AnyDVD b) CloneDVD c) ImgBurn to create an image from the disc.

... looks like I may be out of luck. Perhaps an older version may work? Have you any suggestions for older versions to try out? (Milestones where major things were changed)

Well, I had thought that I had the latest version of AnyDVD, but I looked at the link you provided to the installer anyway -- and noticed it was slightly newer, if beta. I installed that and it worked just fine.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem was, nor do I particularly care at this point.

By the way, Webslinger, your prompt and thorough replies and your dedication to these forums (at least from what I've seen of the many other threads I found in my searching), is amazing. You may not work for Slysoft, but they ought to pay you anyway. Just wanted to show my appreciation.

Well, I had thought that I had the latest version of AnyDVD, but I looked at the link you provided to the installer anyway -- and noticed it was slightly newer, if beta. I installed that and it worked just fine.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem was, nor do I particularly care at this point.

It's interesting that using the newer beta resolved your problem. You are not the first person to have a problem resolved using the newer beta. I'm really unsure as to why there is a difference. All I can come up with is the first item in the changelog which has to do with a workaround for a weird authoring error with one disc. Maybe that helped with other discs, as well. Regardless, whatever is different seems to have resolved a few problems. :)

Thank you for reporting back and letting us know the newer beta resolved the issue.

2) HP doesn't make the drive, but there do not appear to be any firmware updates from Pioneer for this drive.

Right. It's an oem drive (not retail), so the official support for the drive comes from HP (since that's the company that made the computer) and not Pioneer.

7) Drive was already set to Region 1; I selected Region 1 and clicked OK anyway, but I do not think it altered anything (still have 4 region changes left :rolleyes:)

Don't worry. If you have Anydvd, you'll never need to worry about region changes again. But just for future reference if you ever buy a new drive, in order for Anydvd to decrypt CSS properly (with certain discs), your drive's region code should be set.

Last edited:

I'm glad the latest beta resolved your issue. I suspect some sort of corrupt installation issue involving the previous version . . . But, even if I am speculating incorrectly, it's good to know that your issue is now resolved.

By the way, Webslinger, your prompt and thorough replies and your dedication to these forums (at least from what I've seen of the many other threads I found in my searching), is amazing. You may not work for Slysoft, but they ought to pay you anyway. Just wanted to show my appreciation.

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to write. Very kind of you

Thank you for reporting back and letting us know the newer beta resolved the issue.

Sure thing. I just had to come back to make sure everything got wrapped up. :D

Webslinger said:
Right. It's an oem drive (not retail), so the official support for the drive comes from HP (since that's the company that made the computer) and not Pioneer.

...and also to set the record straight: the drive is not the OEM drive that came with the computer, it is a drive that was purchased later and installed into the computer. I guess I was unclear; I meant "the drive didn't come from HP". Anyway, judging by how many threads I ran into on Google, I didn't want to leave confusing information behind.

...and also to set the record straight: the drive is not the OEM drive that came with the computer, it is a drive that was purchased later and installed into the computer.

Interesting . . .

My understanding is that DVR-K05 is an oem slot-loading slimline drive, and the dvr-k15 is an oem tray slimline drive. I wasn't aware of these drives being sold in anything other than laptops (consequently, I had assumed that firmware updates for this drive would be found officially from laptop companies only). I wasn't aware that it was sold as a retail drive. If it is a retail drive, then I can try to see if I can find a firmware update available from Pioneer's website for you, if you would like (otherwise, I won't because I suspect finding one that won't void your drive's warranty may prove to be difficult). But it may help to know what firmware version you do have (the firmware version may help indicate if the drive is an oem drive or a retail drive). If you're happy, and if everything is working fine for you, then updating firmware may not be worthwhile at this time (and there's always a tiny possibility that something may go wrong during a firmware update anyway).

Last edited:
Back