• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolution question with AP

sycor

No, not one of those questions. I don't mind it being SD for what I'm getting currently. I am curious though, the show is 640x480, okay cool. But there is also an offer of 720x576. I was under the impression that was for PAL. What surprises me even more is that it plays on my PC. Does anyone know if there is any benefit or detriment to getting the 720x576 resolution and using with Plex?

For what it's worth, I'm in the US so would expect to see the NTSC offering, the PAL surprised me.

No, not one of those questions. I don't mind it being SD for what I'm getting currently. I am curious though, the show is 640x480, okay cool. But there is also an offer of 720x576. I was under the impression that was for PAL. What surprises me even more is that it plays on my PC. Does anyone know if there is any benefit or detriment to getting the 720x576 resolution and using with Plex?

For what it's worth, I'm in the US so would expect to see the NTSC offering, the PAL surprised me.
I have nothing to do with Plex but I use the 720p resolution for everything, even before 1080p was gone I used 720P because it looks fine and the file is 1/4 the size.

I have nothing to do with Plex but I use the 720p resolution for everything, even before 1080p was gone I used 720P because it looks fine and the file is 1/4 the size.

My thoughts exactly. My TV is only 1080p (to which i stream to with plex using a chromecast with android TV) and it looks just perfect. If/when i may be getting a 4k tv i MIGHT update that again to 1080p but for now 720 will do just fine. More downloads with less space needed.

Just to be clear. 720x576 is SD, not HD. 720x480 is regular SD in NTSC (US) and 720x576 is SD PAL (UK). 720p is 1280x720.

And the 640x480 is basically old 80s 4:3 SD resolution. You know, the old square pictures. :)

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. My TV is only 1080p (to which i stream to with plex using a chromecast with android TV) and it looks just perfect. If/when i may be getting a 4k tv i MIGHT update that again to 1080p but for now 720 will do just fine. More downloads with less space needed.

I use Plex exclusively for my collection. Most of it is mid to high 1080p and now some 4K. It handles it all very well. Although I will warn folks that once you start to use larger files ESPECIALLY UHD you better have a strong Roku (or whatever you use) and a good wireless signal. I run my UHD files lossless and I had to upgrade my Roku for that to work well. And that is just to move the file, there is no transcoding going on.

Just my 2 cents on that if anyone was interested in that part of Plex.

I use an nVidia shield and it can handle just about anything. My only reason to question is since it's PAL resolution instead of NTSC (think Regional 1 or 2 on DVD).

I have wondered the same thing. It's a strange resolution to be uploading US content in. The 720 stream is higher bitrate, so you'll want to go with that.

Last edited:
I have wondered the same thing. It's a strange resolution to be uploading US content in. The 720 stream is higher bitrate, so you'll want to go with that.

That's kind of what I was thinking I just wasn't sure if the weird resolution would do right on NTSC equipment. If that's even a thing. I know R1 and R2 dvds and players don't get along but wasn't sure if that was a resolution issue, or just protection or something else.

I watch everything on my front projector at 150" diagonal. A quality 1920x1080 presentation is important at such a large screen size. Looking forward to Amazon Prime 1080p downloads once again being available via AnyStream.

It's a strange resolution to be uploading US content in.
Maybe they just did one version with both PAL and NTSC resolutions and only createt one entry in Amz that works for all regions. So the same movie ID is available in all regions and you get either NTSC or PAL, depending on your region and the quality you set.

I use Plex exclusively for my collection. Most of it is mid to high 1080p and now some 4K. It handles it all very well. Although I will warn folks that once you start to use larger files ESPECIALLY UHD you better have a strong Roku (or whatever you use) and a good wireless signal. I run my UHD files lossless and I had to upgrade my Roku for that to work well. And that is just to move the file, there is no transcoding going on.

Just my 2 cents on that if anyone was interested in that part of Plex.

Nvidia Shield connected via ethernet on 500/500Mbps fiber

Maybe they just did one version with both PAL and NTSC resolutions and only createt one entry in Amz that works for all regions. So the same movie ID is available in all regions and you get either NTSC or PAL, depending on your region and the quality you set.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Just didn't know if it really matters if I grabbed the PAL resolution. I'm thinking not though, but didn't want to get too far down the list before realizing it actually does matter and having to start over.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Just didn't know if it really matters if I grabbed the PAL resolution. I'm thinking not though, but didn't want to get too far down the list before realizing it actually does matter and having to start over.
You even can play 4k video on a Full HD monitor, it will just scale it down.
So unless you plan to burn it on DVD or if you own a player that supports only NTSC, the resoltution should not matter.

Interesting. So, would there really even be a noticeable different between the 640x480 and 720x576 files when viewed on a TV?

Difference between PAL / NTSC and Secam is not the resolution. There are use different framerate (because the electrical frequency). PAL for example 25 fps, NTSC 29.9 or movies 23.97 etc. but nowadays all TV and Computer manage all standard and unstandardized framerates.
There is a difference in frame rate, but the SD resolution is also different. You might be thinking this because HD has standardized resolution worldwide.
Interesting. So, would there really even be a noticeable different between the 640x480 and 720x576 files when viewed on a TV?
Like I said, the bitrate is going to be higher, so yes.

Last edited:
This part needs to be re-worded temporarily until it is fixed:

Anysteam

Features:
  • Amazon Prime download supported up to Full HD (1920x1080)

If this is not re-worded, and HD downloads for AP stay down for awhile, then I feel the devs are not being fair towards new buyers. I bought lifetime license for mainly AP downloads just a few days ago. Technically, I did not get burned since AP HD downloads worked the day I purchased the product. But I would be upset if I spent that amount of money on a product and this advertised feature did not work on day one. Having a free trial period does not excuse false advertisement for this feature that is not included.

I understands that HD downloads being down is not Red Fox's fault, but it is their duty to accurately describe product features for new buyers. My request is very reasonable for current/future buyers of this program. It is not like I am requesting something crazy and difficult for Red Fox to do in this situation.

Last edited:
This part needs to be re-worded temporarily until it is fixed:

Anysteam

Features:
  • Amazon Prime download supported up to Full HD (1920x1080)

If this is not re-worded, and HD downloads for AP stay down for awhile, then I feel the devs/mods are not being fair towards new buyers. I bought lifetime license for mainly AP downloads just a few days ago. Technically, I did not get burned since AP HD downloads worked the day I purchased the product. But I would be upset if I spent that amount of money on a product and this advertised feature did not work on day one. Having a free trial period does not excuse false advertisement for this feature that is not included.

I understands that HD downloads being down is not Red Fox's fault, but it is their duty to accurately describe product features for new buyers. My request is very reasonable for current/future buyers of this program. I is not like I am requesting something crazy and difficult for Red Fox to do in this situation.
They should change it, yes, but anyone buying this product without giving the trial a go kind of deserves to get burned.

Mods have ZERO control over what does or doesn't appear on the website. Do not include us in your claim of "being unfair" towards buyers. That said, i personally sent a message out to the webadmin that a change in wording might be recommended to stop these types of topics of being created indefinitely if any change in video quality occurs for any provider thats supported or may be supported in the future.

In the mean time, give the developers time to work, and as wright96d states. There's a trial for a reason. That said, this DRM change is irrelevant to what the OP was talking about. SD resolution and PAL vs NTSC Stay on topic or this will have to be another topic that gets locked.

Back