• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request for New Encoding Options: Generic (AVC H.264), Generic (MPEG4)

TechFarmer

The best feature of CloneDVD Mobile is its ease-of-use. I like that it completely automates the creation of compressed video files. However, it would be great if there were just a little bit more flexibility.

I play video from SD cards on a couple of different devices, neither of which is in the default device list. I don't care if my devices are listed, but I'd really like to be able to manually specify the output format, resolution, and quality settings for all supported formats. I generally use the Generic (Divx) setting and would like to see that replicated for other supported formats, such as AVC H.264 and MPEG4.

Thanks!

I too hope some of our wish list items make it into the next release.
In the meantime I suggest you give editing the .ini file a try to set some of your custom settings yourself.

Worst case, it doesn't work and you restore the original .ini file and wait.
Link to my other post about .ini settings, should be easy to follow.

I agree. I would particularly like to see H.264 as a codec option, because H.264 is much more efficient codec than MPEG4 (it produces smaller files with same perceptual quality).
I have just purchased this product, and I love it!!
Thanks,
-Gianluca.

I agree. I would particularly like to see H.264 as a codec option, because H.264 is much more efficient codec than MPEG4 (it produces smaller files with same perceptual quality).
I have just purchased this product, and I love it!!
Thanks,
-Gianluca.

Doesn't H.264 require enormous processing power. Plus, do you really want superb quality on a 4:3 screen? I have a Zen Vision W so I don't think I need this feature, but I do have a TV-out option..hmmmm ;)

Yeah, I need H.264 for the TV out. Also this is listed as the first video coded in the iPod specs (MPEG4 is second), so I assume it's got better battery performance as well.
Where did you read that it requires "enormous processing power" ?

I think that they already have these features in CloneDVDmobile.

I think that they already have these features in CloneDVDmobile.
Says who? I have just purchased CloneDVDMobile (yesterday), and I have the latest version (1.1.4.0) but I don't see an option to encode video for iPod-hires using the H.264 codec.

No, Only MPEG4 Hi Rez supported right now.. I'd like to see the Generic Divx update to use the up to date versions of Divx and Xvid, instead of Mencoders Divx 4 which is pretty behind the curve right now.

Sorry, if I mispoke, I could have sworn that it does. I use several different software and must have gotten them confused. Try Super (it's free), I know that works.

.Mov files

Since the Nintendo Wii has come out it supposedly accepts Quicktime .mov files on an sd card in a side slot. I tried to use the Ipod Mp4 codec hoping they were the same and they were not. I would Love to see a .mov option as I am sure that others here would too :)

If you'll go to the CloneDVDmobile folder, there's a file called devices.ini. You can edit this to tweak features, like adding resolutions.

I've been playing with it, and may have got a general AVC h264 option added. I'll admit, I don't know much about what I'm doing, but the output does seem to be a AVC mp4 file, and it plays and looks nice. Perhaps some of you guys that understand mencoder better can help. Here's what I added to the end of the devices.ini file:

[AVC/H264]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=psp
lavcopts=aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=h264:coder=1:acodec=aac
FileType=mp4
VCodec=h264
VTag=h264
Acodec=aac
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Mostly a copy of the Divx profile....which actually just uses the general MPEG4 encoding....not actual divx.

Oops, just noticed that I left psp in there....doesn't seem to cause problems..but I don't know much about what I'm doing.

This profile didnt work for me, here is the error i got:

Encoder output:

Option lavcopts: Unknown suboption a
Error parsing option on the command line: -lavcopts

After seeing the post from GezusK, I tried something very similar: I edited devices.ini and duplicated the “iPod Video 5. gen (hires)” profile replacing only the codec from “mpeg4” to “h264” and the “MaxVBitrate” from 2500 to 1300. I restarted CloneDVDmobile and encoded a DVD with the newly created profile. The encoding works, I can play the file in QuickTime and in iTunes, but if I try to copy it to my 5G iPod then iTunes tells me that it can't copy it to the iPod because the iPod can't play that file.
The thing that really got me going is that the newly encoded file (encoded with h264) is smaller that a file encoded from the same DVD using the mpeg4 codec and it looks *better* that the mpeg4!!

I suspect (but I’m not sure) that I may need to change/add something to my modified profile to produce files (using h264) that will play on the 5G iPod.
If this is the case I invite someone from SlySoft to share that profile with us, because I’d rather have better looking file with smaller size than larger files that don’t look as good.
If a new h264 profile is not enough I still invite someone from SlySoft to let us know, so at least we get an idea of how long we have to wait for h264 to be fully supported for the iPod.

Thanks,
-Gianluca.

Hi digitaldecay.

This profile didnt work for me, here is the error i got:

Encoder output:

Option lavcopts: Unknown suboption a
Error parsing option on the command line: -lavcopts

The forum software wraps long lines in postings by adding space characters unless you mark them as "CODE". Just remove the space in "a codec=aac" in the line starting with "lavcopts=".

Greetings,
Joe

Encoding Options I Would Like

Hello all,
I, for one, would like to see encoding from file( .avi, mpeg, divx ect) and a 'batch' feature for multiple files

Thanks.

Back