• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[REQUEST] Change or remove captcha

roan98dk

I am pretty tired with captcha on so many forums and websites. In my opinion it mainly causes frustration instead of actually helping to keep forums and their users safe from intruders.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I have to try more than 10 times before guessing/entering the right string for simply searching the forum. Similar thing happened when requesting my password, registering a new account (where passwords need to be reentered for each attempt) etc.

I understand the captcha when it comes to the registration form since this is an open forum, but it should be possible to simplify a lot. I know that in theory it is possible to automatically analyse these images, but come on I've never heard about those methods being used in the real world.

First of all the user specified password should be kept in cache while retrying a new captcha i.e. after submitting. Ok I can live with this if the captcha is guessed easily.

Secondly use only words in the captcha that actually exist or make sence.

Third make the captcha easier to read. I know that it is possible to simply refresh until hitting one that is easy to read, but again this complicates things. I bet many users don't even know about the refresh option. This would be a matter of selecting another captcha method of course.

Finally perhaps limit captcha to 1 word only though two words are ok if they are guessed right the first time and make sense.

Actually the search function would be much better without captcha at all. After all a captcha on a search function makes me and many other users not use it and instead post a new thread with a question or comment that many users may have asked before. This often result in thread comments about searching the forum before posting duplicates.

Alternately removing all captchas from paying users.

I hope you will take my suggestions into consideration.

what captcha? I've never had to enter one here.

If you aren't logged in using your forum username and try to use Search you'll run into ReCAPTCHA. I'd also expect it is used when signing up for the forums but that should be a one-time deal. I'm really not sure where else is would be used.

Personally, I am not a fan of ReCAPTCHA and have trouble with it in the numerous places online that I have to use it but the purpose of it is a necessity. There is the ability to get an alternate image and that's what I do when I run into issues. I just keep requesting a new image until I can actually read the words.

The use of ReCAPTCHA in these forums isn't really any different than I've seen elsewhere so I'm not really sure how or why it should be changed. This isn't something that only impacts people in these forums. ReCAPTCHA has been made necessary due to the spammers and while it won't prevent spam altogether it most definitely aids us in the fight against it.

If it stops spammers and halfwits from this site, they should make it twice as hard to read. Education is a wonderful thing. :(

Alternately removing all captchas from paying users.

I hope you will take my suggestions into consideration.

In short: if you are a registered user of this forum (you are), then whenever you're logged on, you will never see those "captchas".

You don't even have to be a paying user ;)

Sorry for my sudden outburst. I guess my trigger-finger is a little too fast sometimes. I didn't properly test the difference between searches as a logged on user vs. not logged on. I am afraid that I too quickly assumed that the captcha was present in both cases. Nice to see that SlySoft thought of this :)

I can live with captchas on user registration forms as I believe this is a necessity as well, though I still feel that the ReCAPTCHA is too complicated. I am 100% sure that I entered the proper words in my tests but it kept saying that I entered it wrong.

Back