• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request 16:9 Format

diverjones

I would like to request a 16:9 format "switch" be added to CloneDB. I have always disliked letterbox when all I had was a DVD and the old 4:3 television. I understood it, but disliked it terribly. Fast forward 15 years and now that old 4:3 format TV is history, and I have a fancy 55" 1080P HD TV whose NATIVE FORMAT is 16:9 (as is all HD TVs are) and here comes BluRay discs and movies.

What did I have to look forward to....A 1080P HD picture that STILL does not fill up my 55" screen! I hate a movie that only fills the center of my screen, it makes me fill I am not getting my moneys worth........and I am NOT. I may have disliked letterbox 15 years ago, now I just HATE IT and have good reason to. I would like CloneDB to have a switch I can just click, check, whatever, and as it is transcoding my disc, it will convert the format into a 16:9 format at same time. Heck, it takes me already 12 to 16 hours to copy anyway, whats another few hours. I realize that I can click a button on my remote and fill my screen up, but the picture is zoomed in, cropped, or distorted too much for me to enjoy.

Yes, I realize I would probably lose material on the sides, but at least its an option that could be checked or unchecked at will and allows for individual choice.

Diverj

Your fancy TV's zoom is likely already doing what you're asking for -- zooming in so the top and bottom fill your screen which, of course, loses all the action on the sides of the video. I can understand why this would be too much for you to enjoy -- it's no longer the movie you paid to see.

You can also check the back of the case of the movie you're buying -- if it says aspect ratio is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, you should not buy it because it will have black bars on the top and bottom. You should also avoid any movie that has a 1.33:1 ratio as it will have black bars on the sides of the screen. I believe you'll only be "safe" if you watch movies with a 1.78:1 ratio - these should fill your screen completely with no black bars anywhere.

Robert

If your TV already zooms in and crops the edges that's exactly the same as what converting to 16:9 would do. It will crop of the same amount around the edges as your TV already does.

Back