• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rental DVD's

ZARTT

All:

I have been a licensed user of 4 Slysoft products for approximately 6 years now.
I haven't posted much on the Forum, since I can usually work my way through 99.9 % of the problems that occur, by persistence, surfing the forums, and just plain lurking. I really enjoy the detective work that some releases require before they can be ripped and shrunk.
One thing that has become quite apparent recently, is the tolerance by the Mods. and Senior posters on this forum, to questions regarding the ripping of rental BD's and DVD's.
Back in the day, it seemed, that any referral to a problem with a rental disk was met with an almost immediate disclaimer-like statement from the higher-ups.
I got the impression that this anti rental attitude support by the moderators, was displayed to protect the company from possible piracy prosecution by any authorities.
Has there been a change in attitude lately? Is the status of a title being ripped even taken into consideration anymore?

Art.

To the point

We re-emphasized our position on that question some time ago when too many crusaders were at work stuffing members reporting issues with such discs.

We are interested in all discs, to be honest. And this subject has gotten its share of visibility.

It's been posted numerous times in the past that people shouldn't attack or report people asking for help with rentals. And back in 2010 I wrote that basically it has been decided that reference to rentals is acceptable.
backhttp://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

This has been kicked around a lot and this subject has now been clarified.
Since some rentals may have different protections than the "store" version we are of course interested in looking at these.

The clarified policy excludes a flood-gate opening for rentals, however.

Thank You........N/M

It's not as black and white as you suggest. Slysoft and most of the forum members are pro fair use. This also applies to the decryption of rental titles. It gets greyer regarding time shifting, but mostly tolerated. What is a complete no go for most of the civilised world is copying a disk that you don't own or do not plan to own as pirating is a cheaper alternative.

The generally accepted solution is help if you want and can, otherwise disregard the post. Even add a particular user to your ignore list if there are certain members that cause offence.

From time to time rental company's do sell their rental DVD's.

What I don't get.... seriously...... is WHY do people feel the need to say "I rented it." It is ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY NOT NECESSARY to say this in order to get help. Even if the label on the disc says "rental," the poster can still say they own it. IT WON'T AFFECT THE HELP THE PERSON GETS ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

From my viewpoint, where the source disk came from is a COMPLETELY different topic, does not matter if you feel it is legal or illegal.
Legal or illegal depends on which side of the fence you are on, and if the laws are corrupt or not.

This forum should be concerned with the DVD fans and how to rip, build, and burn a DVD and the many, many different ways to do just that, as well as software playing.
Share your pool of knowledge and problems with all DVD fans and enjoy dvd's as a hobby.:agree:

From time to time rental company's do sell their rental DVD's.

Time to time? How about all the time?

Netflix sells it's discs.
Even, from the "hidden" links on the site; from day one. (See hacking netflix).
It's actually a good way to get a (an often) feature reduced dvd a day or two after it comes out for half the Amazon and a fraction of the store price.
Redbox does and (rip) Blockbuster used to also from their kiosk services.

And what about those who forgot to return a disc and wound up owning it?
There you go.

Netflix sells it's discs.
Even, from the "hidden" links on the site; from day one. (See hacking netflix).

It's actually a good way to get a (an often) feature reduced dvd a day or two after it comes out for half the Amazon and a fraction of the store price.
Redbox does and (rip) Blockbuster used to also from their kiosk services.

And what about those who forgot to return a disc and wound up owning it?
There you go.

Netflix stopped selling DVDs November 2008, at least officially. Searching Hacking Netflix only brings up posts from 2007 or earlier.

If there are hidden links then they are truly hidden, even looking at the page source shows no links.

Whether or not Netflix (or Redbox) still sells rental discs, there are still other rental outlets that sell them once they're done with them. (My BDs of The Bourne Legacy & Taken are "rentals" sold in that manner.) And if you "rent" a disc from Redbox for so many days, AFAIK it's still yours to keep; they don't charge daily rental fees forever. So yes, it's still possible to legitimately own "rental" discs.

Whether or not Netflix (or Redbox) still sells rental discs, there are still other rental outlets that sell them once they're done with them. (My BDs of The Bourne Legacy & Taken are "rentals" sold in that manner.) And if you "rent" a disc from Redbox for so many days, AFAIK it's still yours to keep; they don't charge daily rental fees forever. So yes, it's still possible to legitimately own "rental" discs.

At 20-30 a pop for each DVD or more for BD yeah that's going to get me to keep them....and at that cost more then state side going to a Walmart or ordering from places like Amazon.....not a smart move if you use RedBox.....and want to keep it your on the loosing end of the line with RedBox.....and those daily rentals will break your bank faster then subscribing through Netflix....

At 20-30 a pop for each DVD or more for BD yeah that's going to get me to keep them....and at that cost more then state side going to a Walmart or ordering from places like Amazon.....not a smart move if you use RedBox.....and want to keep it your on the loosing end of the line with RedBox.....and those daily rentals will break your bank faster then subscribing through Netflix....
I wasn't discussing whether or not it's a good deal to "buy" rental discs by renting them from Redbox and never returning them. (It's actually not as bad as you say; Redbox simply stops charging daily rentals after X number of days and says the disc is yours. It's more expensive than buying, but NOT a "break your bank" situation.) My point was it's one possible way to legitimately own a "rental" disc; thus using AnyDVD to copy them is NOT automatically piracy as some assume. (The rental discs I own were resales by a traditional video store, not Redbox.)

I wasn't discussing whether or not it's a good deal to "buy" rental discs by renting them from Redbox and never returning them. (It's actually not as bad as you say; Redbox simply stops charging daily rentals after X number of days and says the disc is yours. It's more expensive than buying, but NOT a "break your bank" situation.) My point was it's one possible way to legitimately own a "rental" disc; thus using AnyDVD to copy them is NOT automatically piracy as some assume. (The rental discs I own were resales by a traditional video store, not Redbox.)

No, they don't stop charging they charge you the full retail price for the DVD or BD itself to your CC that's what they do once it fails to return in the rental allotted time. This is in the fine print when you rent from RedBox. The DVD or BD if one keeps it - didn't get it for free and it will show up on your Statement or CC Statement and you will be like how did I get that charge. And when you call their customer service they will say you failed to return it so we had to charge you the full price of the DVD or BD price EOD. As to the copy of Rental DVD or BD there already been much discussion about it already on other threads.

No, they don't stop charging they charge you the full retail price for the DVD or BD itself to your CC

Almost exactly. They STOP CHARGING after the dvd has been out long enough to match THEIR, not the retail, price. From my own personal oops moments, the price ranges between $6.99 and 29.99 for dvds. I've never returned a BD late and never rented a game from them so I don't know what those prices are.

Almost exactly. They STOP CHARGING after the dvd has been out long enough to match THEIR, not the retail, price. From my own personal oops moments, the price ranges between $6.99 and 29.99 for dvds. I've never returned a BD late and never rented a game from them so I don't know what those prices are.

What 6.99 you got some funny numbers there....nothing on their site states a price of 6.99 so where did you get that figure??? Link???

READ Carefully...this is from RED BOX site...FAQ

https://redbox.custhelp.com/app/answers/cat/c/2

How long is the rental period?

Your rental period ends at 9:00 p.m. the day after you rent.

Want to hold onto your disc for longer? No problem. For each extra day you keep it, you'll be charged for another rental period + applicable tax. If you hold onto your disc for the maximum rental period (21 days almost everywhere for DVDs), you'll be charged the maximum charge and the disc is yours to keep. In most areas, those fees are $25.20 + tax for DVDs ($26.67 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland)

Where again did you get that $6.99??? Look closely at the wording "Maximum Charge" there nothing about the $6.99 and there is nothing what you mention "THEIR" they are giving you the RETAIL treatment and I doubt they are going to go any lower then 26.67. And also the quotes "21 days almost everywhere for DVDs" so in other words it is 21 days more or less. One would better save to subscribe to something like Netflix with DVD and save more and get more DVD constantly by mail in one monthly payment then paying daily rentals fees. In one month one can return and watch a 3 dvd rental per month for roughly 14 times just paying a subscription based membership for 3 dvd at 16.87/month and RED box for the same let say you kept it with 3 dvd for 21 month comes out to be with their quote is 26.67x3=80.01. Now let's do a sample 3dvd at 16.87/month for roughly 14x exchanging different dvd throughout that month compared to keeping 3 dvd for 21 days at 80.01 in one month. Now tell me whom is getting the shaft here and whom is forking out the money more?

Last edited:
Back