• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Removing iTunes DRM

Andrew Uborka

Hi,

Looking for a program that can remove DRM from iTunes movies. I have M4VGear but it only works on iTunes 12.9 and lower. I cannot download any new release movies with 12.9.

I'm looking at getting Thundersoft DRM remover which seems to work with iTunes 12.12 in demo mode on older material.

Is it worth trying out or can anyone recommend something else?

Let me ask you this:
Have you tried and found it to be working? If so, then that's the thing you need :)
Honestly, I'm surprised that anything works post 12.9. How's the quality of the recording?

I've done some further tests. Just purchased The Suicide Squad from iTunes. Thundersoft DRM remover can convert it in SD but not HD using iTunes 12.12. Looks like that will be the best that I can get for now. Hopefully someone will crack the new encryption protocols in iTunes. All new content seems to be only available with the latest version of iTunes. The quality seems fine can't tell the difference between the converted and original versions. Might go back to buying my movies on Blu-Ray rather than from iTunes.

Here's the workaround that I use for (most of) the newer stuff:
Link MoviesAnywhere to iTunes
Link MoviesAnywhere to Amazon

bonus round:
IF you have an xBox/Microsoft account , link MoviesAnywhere, THERE too. This allows you to get points, if you're a Microsoft Rewards member when you purchase through the Microsoft store (xbox, etc). Additionally, you can check directly inside the movie there to see if it's MA compatible

Now, MOST of your movie purchases are going to be in both places
Download from Amazon using the monkey or AnyStream

Of course, there's always providers that don't subscribe to the MoviesAnywhere option, but that's how I have been doing it the past few years. It's built up my Microsoft points, it's built up my movie library, and it's done pretty well.

Sadly, this only works with movies, but TV shows can still be downloaded in itunes 12.9 (the version that can still be decrypted)

MoviesAnywhere looks good. Unfortunately it's only available to U.S. residents, I'm in Australia.

Hi,

Looking for a program that can remove DRM from iTunes movies. I have M4VGear but it only works on iTunes 12.9 and lower. I cannot download any new release movies with 12.9.

I'm looking at getting Thundersoft DRM remover which seems to work with iTunes 12.12 in demo mode on older material.

Is it worth trying out or can anyone recommend something else?

For iTunes DRM removal I use DRMare M4V Converter. It's a quality product. Been using the application for years now. Not as much as a hiccup in all this time. I run it in conjunction with iTunes 12.6.5.3 under Windows 7. That being said, it's been a year or two since I used the application last, so I took it for a spin just now.

When launching the application I checked for updates downloading and installing v4.1.2 which is the latest version. Using iTunes 12.6.5.3 I then downloaded one of my purchases at random, "Cobra Kai: Season 2, Episode 1" (1916x1076 | 23.976 fps | 35m 50s) which weighed in at 1.40 GB (1,509,009,136 bytes).

Once downloaded I added the TV episode to my queue in DRMare MP4 Converter using the "Load iTunes Library" option, the file format option already being set to "MP4 (Lossless)". I then pressed the "Convert" button. The process took 2 minutes to complete, the resulting MP4 file weighing in at 1.39 GB (1,499,766,310 bytes), the audio and video appearing identical to the original iTunes download. No complaints here. :p

Last edited:
This is effectively TunesKit, which has had the same problem with iTunes for years
Try running that on an up to date system (Win 7 is deprecated and EOL) . I gave it a spin on 10 , same problem as others are seeing. Audio, but no video.
I'm not sure what's different in iTunes for Win 7, but DRMare is definitely not working in Win 10 and later as it should

I have running NoteBurner Video Converter version 5.5.7 (which effectively is also TunesKit) with iTunes 12.9.2.6 on Windows 10 and it is still working. My newest content is the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery (available here, because Paramount+ hasn't launched). I have all episodes released yet in 1080p.
But you really need a clean install of the old iTunes version. Once you had a newer version, you only get audio, also after downgrading to the old version. Clean install means you have to uninstall and delete afterwards all leftover folders (in windows music folder and in the windows users AppData folders) and delete the entries in the windows registry. So I think the easiest way is to use a VM and don't ever install a never version of iTunes.

I have running NoteBurner Video Converter version 5.5.7 (which effectively is also TunesKit) with iTunes 12.9.2.6 on Windows 10 and it is still working.

This hack will (kind of) work, depending on what you’re looking for. More on that below

My newest content is the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery (available here, because Paramount+ hasn't launched). I have all episodes released yet in 1080p.
This does still work yes

But you really need a clean install of the old iTunes version.
Up until about a year and a half ago , this would have worked . Unfortunately, with (some of) the later movies, itunes is now requiring the latest version to download (and play) them . So this isn’t going to work there

If you’re only after TV, you’re fine (for now) doing what you mentioned. It’s what most people doing this have done. Unfortunately , it’s movies that are going to cause problems

Back