• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

REGION CODE on DVDs

Why would you need Shrink at all if you used AnyDVD /CloneDVD2? I never saw that error, but I do not doubt that you did. Personally Shrink has not been on my rig for many years but if someone chooses to use outdated software, who am I to tell them not to. Bless you all.
If this were in General Chat, Third Party Products or a PM I'd answer you, RedFox 1.

As it is, this is the AnyDVD forum and any substantial reply why I personally use DVD Shrink would be considered off-topic.

Last edited:
Sure you can talk about me :p Wim's my first name ^^. Aint telling you my last ^^

OH, well - another issue regarding region codes. I have tried to copy a wrong region DVD. I also use DVD Shrink. Per this post, the last time I tried, I ripped the DVD using AnyDVD, then compressed it slightly after the RIP using DVD shrink. It comes up with a region code that my players (2 of them) reject. The original is also rejected - it appears to be from England.

VERSION NUMBER: 8.1.2.0
DISK TITLE: BUZZ_LIGHTYEAR
Problem - after ripping the DVD to the hard drive, then using DVDshrink on the ripped files to reduce total size and burn on standard DVD, I get a region code my players will not accept
NO ERROR CODES
log file attached

any hints?
thanks

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.1.2.0_Info_E_BUZZ_LIGHTYEAR.ziplog
    119.1 KB · Views: 7
Just set Shrink to set the disk for ALL regions.
If that fails - I have no clue.
-W

The problem is that your drive is assigned region 1 and the disc is region 2 & 4. Although region removal is enabled in AnyDVD i think @James said that having a different region assigned than the disc can cause issues with region removal. As such the region removal isn't correctly removed. If you have multiple drives, i'd recommend setting one of them to the region of your imports and the other one to your own region. Then insert the disc in the corresponding drive.

OH, well - another issue regarding region codes. I have tried to copy a wrong region DVD. I also use DVD Shrink. Per this post, the last time I tried, I ripped the DVD using AnyDVD, then compressed it slightly after the RIP using DVD shrink. It comes up with a region code that my players (2 of them) reject. The original is also rejected - it appears to be from England.

VERSION NUMBER: 8.1.2.0
DISK TITLE: BUZZ_LIGHTYEAR
Problem - after ripping the DVD to the hard drive, then using DVDshrink on the ripped files to reduce total size and burn on standard DVD, I get a region code my players will not accept
NO ERROR CODES
log file attached

any hints?
thanks
Are you ABSOLUTELY positive that you are getting a region code error, not a format error? USA (Region 1) discs are typically NTSC format. England (Region 2) are typically PAL format, which this disc is. Standalone players from the USA usually will not play PAL discs. You should be able to play it from your computer's DVD drive. NTSC/PAL doesn't matter to them.

There's a difference between the error he's getting (mismatched region) and the one you're saying (video format)

I'm surprised by all the love Shrink is getting. I usually get a ration of crap when I mention I still use it sometimes. It can access stuff on a disc no other tool seems to be able to, including Clone.

Just the other day I was transcoding a disc with multiple special feature videos packed into one title. Clone, MakeMKV, HandBrake, none of them could "see" beyond the first video, but Shrink could see them all. Plus, it seems to be the only tool than can get at videos buried in the menus.

For me, it doesn't have to be who's best and the only one to use. I keep a bunch of good tools around and use what works for a given situation.

Last edited:
There's a difference between the error he's getting (mismatched region) and the one you're saying (video format)
And you know (for sure) that is the error he is getting...exactly how, since you have not seen the error?

Euhm that's what the logfile info shows!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Sorry for the delayed response, funeral distractions (yes, plural). Tomorrow I'll put the disks in and tell you the errors on each reader.

Just set one of them to region 2 (or 4) and use that drive for the disc. It would work for then. Not that if your player does not support pal and the disc uses it, NO amount of region removal will fix that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I believe in hindsight I ASSUMED! (DOH!) You know what that means. "Cannot operate this disk" is the message from a Sony Blu-Ray player. And yes, I can play it on my computer. So, if one of you were able to read the log file and see that (sounds easy enough to do - perhaps I'll learn how) then that's got to be my issue. Oh, well - any hints, gents on how to easily change formats (NTSC vs. PAL)? I do have some rendering software but that's a bit of work. Are there any software tools out there that do it easily?

The way i know of is to use video editing software like ConvertXtoDVD but doing so WILL result in loss of original menu's. Though i'm not that convinced though it's a pal issue, my view remains at region coding issue. You're going to have to try i guess

Euhm that's what the logfile info shows!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

While the AnyDVD logfile noted the original region mismatch during the rip, everything completed fine. So AnyDVD was likely to have brute-forced the CSS keys correctly etc.
Once it went through DVDShrink (by default) the output file is set for regions 1,2,3,4,5,6. This makes the NTSC vs PAL issue rise to the top, as Mr. Davis asserted.
-W

Last edited:
I'm re-rendering as I type this. The software is purportedly rendering in NTSC. I'll post the results. Thanks for the (embarrassingly obvious) suggestions and observations!

Back