• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

REGION CODE on DVDs

servocrow

Ripped THE AMERICANS SEASON 2 set, and according to DVDSHRINK the region coding is still there, thats a first for ANYDVD, I am using the most current REDFOX version, the disc set is labeled REGION 1.

whats up with that???

Ripped THE AMERICANS SEASON 2 set, and according to DVDSHRINK the region coding is still there, thats a first for ANYDVD, I am using the most current REDFOX version, the disc set is labeled REGION 1.

whats up with that???
Please post a logfile, thank you.

Just to add... I've seen that once in a great while myself.
Shrink asks you to check-box the region code of a disk. (with AnyDVD running)
Once you tick off the box it proceeds to make a region free backup.
Since Shrink also removes region coding for backups - I never really cared.
I'll post a log next time it happens - which is not often.
-W

Just to add... I've seen that once in a great while myself.
Shrink asks you to check-box the region code of a disk. (with AnyDVD running)
Once you tick off the box it proceeds to make a region free backup.
Since Shrink also removes region coding for backups - I never really cared.
I'll post a log next time it happens - which is not often.
-W
Clams, a bit off topic, but could you please PM me in that private thread you're in with us and tell me what you thought of my PDF file on DVD Shrink??

Thanks.

whats up with that???
shrink is far to old to handle any newer dvd movies that is also a problem. That might be why shrink did what it did it is too old. Never had problem with any version of Anydvd removing Region setting to be Region Free. It comes down to the problem is shrink not Anydvd. Your going to have to get CloneDVD to fix this problem if you want to do proper backup.

I have had that "warning" show up a number of times when using DVD Shrink, and IIRC it usually meant the DVD was RCE (Region-code enhanced) encoded.

Nothing to worry about, that is one of the DVD protections that AnyDVD removes by default. I have never had a problem playing back a DVD that I ripped using AnyDVD and shrunk using DVD Shrink. When it wasn't something stupid I did.

yes the VOB files came up through SHRINK as (Region-code enhanced) I left REGION FREE ticked and ticked off the other region number settings, I am having someone test the finished disc for me in a day or so since I dont have a dvd player, I use media files only. I have used SHRINK for years, and am not new to ripping/encoding, however this is the first time I have ripped via AnyDVD and SHRINK has given me that notice on the finished VOB files created from ANYDVD... SO NO anydvd didnt remove said region coding, and NO i would never use Clone as shrink has always been a decent program

I agree. Shrink is a perfect companion to AnyDVD. I have been using Shrink for years and can't remember ever having a problem.

it appears anydvd for whatever reason is NOT stripping away/removing, the region coding on this particular set, NO its not a problem now, as its a R1 NTSC disc set but if it were a PAL and/or region 2, etc. locked disc set then YEAH we most likley would have an issue...damn stupid dvds

shrink is far to old to handle any newer dvd movies that is also a problem. That might be why shrink did what it did it is too old. Never had problem with any version of Anydvd removing Region setting to be Region Free. It comes down to the problem is shrink not Anydvd. Your going to have to get CloneDVD to fix this problem if you want to do proper backup.

If I threw all those words up in the air and let them come down randomly - they'd likely make more sense than what I just read in the above quote. :confused:

1. The DVD standard is about 20 years old now. I've yet to find a DVD that DVDShrink cannot handle after a rip (to folder) with AnyDVD - this includes brand new titles.
I explained the sole issue with DVDShrink vs newer titles over 5 years ago - here:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/iron-man-2-anydvd-6-7-0-0.43462/page-3#post-281630

2. RCE has been around pretty much since the dawn of the DVD. (Even DVDShrink removes it, that's part of the reason they were shut down to begin with.)

Regardless of what's causing this, it seems the final output of the combination of AnyDVD and Shrink is indeed region free.
That's why I never gave that popup it a second thought. getting to the bottom of this is largely academic - but fun and interesting.
I'll also submit a log next time I get that pop-up.
-W

Last edited:
it appears anydvd for whatever reason is NOT stripping away/removing, the region coding on this particular set, NO its not a problem now, as its a R1 NTSC disc set but if it were a PAL and/or region 2, etc. locked disc set then YEAH we most likley would have an issue...damn stupid dvds
AnyDVD is stripping away the RCE encoding, that the DVD was RCE encoded is what DVD Shrink is warning about.

Buy CloneDVD2 and you will have no issues.:sneaky:

Buy CloneDVD2 and you will have no issues.:sneaky:
Not entirely true, RedFox 1. :)

I routinely use AnyDVD/CloneDVD/DVD Shrink combo to decrypt, rip and shrink dual layer DVDs. Even with CloneDVD ripped dual-layer DVDs I get the RCE "warning" when I load up the ripped DVD files to shrink the DVD.

i may be new to the forum however I am not new to ripping/burning and have gone through a lot of DVDs without this ever popping up...hence my question/concern
once i get feedback concerning the dvds playback I can followup and post more info
OR when i receive another notice I will submit a log

Last edited:
Why would you need Shrink at all if you used AnyDVD /CloneDVD2? I never saw that error, but I do not doubt that you did. Personally Shrink has not been on my rig for many years but if someone chooses to use outdated software, who am I to tell them not to. Bless you all.

i may be new to the forum however I am not new to ripping/burning and have gone through a lot of DVDs without this ever popping up...hence my question/concern
once i get feedback concerning the dvds playback I can followup and post more info
I agree, I never saw it once.

I usually dont mess with dvds either now days, I usually only do BR to MKV conversion, but as a favor to someone who is still in 2002 here I am

Why would you need Shrink at all if you used AnyDVD /CloneDVD2?

I know this one!
Because the transcoder in Shrink is more configurable, and tends to show less compression artifacts.
You asked. :D

-W

Last edited:
agreed, I have never been a Clone fan....also note the person suggesting Clone is also the boards mod...so....yeah :)

Personally, CloneDVD2 is a much better program than DVDShrink, while I admit Shrink was once a cute little proggy, it in no way compares to CloneDVD2 or its ability to shrink a DVD with ease and no issues. But hey, thats just my opinion, everyone has an opinion, I personally use the best software available, but if you like Shrink by all means use it.

Back