• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Region 2 DVD

I made a copy of a dvd, which worked fine. Afterward, reading the back of the case, found out it was a Region 2/PAL. How is this possible? Did Any DVD just use brute force to make the dvd?

Yes, it can circumvent the Region lock as well. But that is the purpose of AnyDVD ;)

That is exactly what it does if the disc region doesn't match your drive region. It bruteforces the CSS, and in doing so removes the region as well. NOTE: what it can NOT do, is convert a disc that's coded in PAL to the US NTSC video format. If your player doesn't support PAL, then the disc still won't work.

It could also simply be a case of mislabeled information. I imported a Region B Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack of a film called Nightmare City. I fully expected to have to employ my Region 2/B USB drive to extract the contents and convert them to NTSC to play on my American setup. However, despite being labeled as Region B and PAL on the box, the discs were both region free and NTSC.

That's because according to the blu-ray specification all PAL players need to support the US framerates, while the reverse is not true. SOURCE

I figured that was the case, though I did not know that for sure. I had heard that PAL could play NTSC but not the other way around.

I figured that was the case, though I did not know that for sure. I had heard that PAL could play NTSC but not the other way around.

Just about any PAL both DVD and BD alike, supports both pal and NTSC. Some NTSC based players do support pal. In fact many PAL released BD's are 24p (all the ones i obtain are, cause my player is configured to send 24p to the TV if 24p is detected). The problem in the US is that while imported PAL discs may often actually be 24p with the main title, sometimes trailers etc ARE in fact 25/50fps (PAL) and the mere presence of PAL content like that, can be enough to trigger non-playability although technically it's capable of playing the main title just fine.

I made a copy of a dvd, which worked fine. Afterward, reading the back of the case, found out it was a Region 2/PAL. How is this possible? Did Any DVD just use brute force to make the dvd?
Probably, yes. But to avoid guessing, just post an AnyDVD logfile of the disc.

Back