• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion redfox license/key for anydvdhd requires online activation/access?

redrocket

i was about to buy (rebuy!! i don't care about semantics) the anydvdhd lifetime license again (more for "sentimental" and "just in case" reasons) the other day, when i came across a thread (inserted/linked below) that made me pause and wonder. wonder if the "new" (since 2016 i assume, but like i explained, new to me in 2023) lifetime license "now" also requires online activation/connection during or anytime after install. meaning it can not be used on a pure offline pc that has and never will have internet. ..and how the old slysoft key worked and still does. that one is/was true "offline". you have a valid key, and it still works - albeit with slysoft versions - though that too only because redfox wants it that way. it could have kept working with current versions, but politics.

if the redfox key requires online connectivity, even once, to me, that is not a genuine "offline" purchase. in a morbidly twisted way, the old and now "defunct" slysoft key is actually better. it still works and will forever. the new one can be "disabled" anytime, and in future become invalid/useless if/when redfox servers (for whatever reason) go down.

not interested in politics, just a simple and straight forward answer. ivan stopped replying via PM, which kind of gave me the answer. he mentioned that anystream does, which since the core program itself requires the internet to function, is "somewhat" understandable, though not technically necessary, but "whatever". (though it still means they have ultimate control.)

does the lifetime license for (specifically) anydvdhd require internet access at all to install/use/periodically check/whatever?

i assume, yes, and if so, this fact should be noted on the purchase page to make it absolutely clear. something like; "Note: All our products require online activation during install and periodically for license checking."

..and if not, and i am assuming incorrectly, great. but i am currently not sure, ergo the thread. asking about anydhdhd not anystream or anything else.

Turned on computer this morning to find this notification -- Unknown Licence

Known issue, as there are many other threads. The servers are down so you have to wait for the Devs to fix it.

It connects to their servers to check if the license is valid. Also, for some discs you news thw ODB (online data base). But as far as I am aware, you should be able to activate and use it without internet.

If you do so, download and install the protection database.

You need an internet connection as Deepspace told you. Everything has been explained. Thank you for your interest in our software. Have a wonderful day.

You need an internet connection as Deepspace told you.
No, not really. You need an internet connection for certain operations, e.g. decrypting UHD. Newest BD titles not included in the most recent AnyDVD version.

EDIT: The confusion may come from non-lifetime licenses, as it needs to be checked, if their "life has ended". :sneaky:

Last edited:
Well, I just tried on an offline VM ... neither for Installation nor license activation of AnyDVDHD an internet connection is necessary.
Product is registered just fine and stays after reboot.

Well, I just tried on an offline VM ... neither for Installation nor license activation of AnyDVDHD an internet connection is necessary.
Product is registered just fine and stays after reboot.
Thanks, I wasn't sure about first time install. It's been several years since we implemented the license check, and I simply can't remember some of the details.

Thanks for reopening it, I only wanted to add a sitenote for the OP since I had an idea after the thread has been locked (haven't noticed it before). I figured OP maybe saw the number of threads about not working licenses and got "feared" AnyDVD wouldn't work without internet activation. But the most threads of this kind come from AS users as it needs internet for it's core function of downloading stuff.
If that is the case, I can calm you down. As explained already, AnyDVD only needs internet for some functions, when something can't be decrypted without the OPD.

As for the activation itself, at one of the server outtakes I also tested AnyDVD and it took a minute or two until it complained about the license not beeing valid. Therefore, it doesn't check immediately and I thought it most probably is possible to activate it completely without internet.
Thanks for @cartman0208 for confirming it.

It may need to confirm for timed licenses also, like 1-year subscriptions. ;) But this has to be confirmed by someone else.

It may need to confirm for timed licenses also, like 1-year subscriptions. ;) But this has to be confirmed by someone else.
Oh right, haven't thought about that as I never had one. I would think it has the date embedded into the license and then checks for the date on the system. But that could easily be exploited, so I am not sure if it really is the case.

Back