• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Record Speed

stevesmorol

Does Burning at a slower speed (such as 4x) give you a better copy than 12x

But as a general statement, you get less coasters when burning at a slower speed. It's been recommended many times on these boards to burn at half the speed of your burner. My burner is 18x and I used to burn at "max speed" and 1 out of 20 were coasters. Then, I changed it to "16x" and it was about 1 out of 30 were coasters. I posed a similar question on these boards and everyone suggested burning at 8x. I've done at least 100 DVDs since then, and haven't had a coaster yet. And, like Webslinger said, quality media is a must. Try Tys or Verbatims.

But as a general statement, you get less coasters when burning at a slower speed.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Burning too slowly is just as inadvisable as burning too quickly (this is especially true when burning slower than 4x to 16x rated blank media . . . depends a little on the burner as well). Also, I get better quality scans burning some 16x single layer blank media at 12x than I do at 8x depending on the burner I use. While 1/2 the rated speed is a nice general guideline, it's a guideline only (and it does not always offer the best results).

The best burn speed depends on your burner, your burner's firmware, and the blank media you're using.

Back