• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Recopying your backups - CloneDVD vs. CloneCD

Jalabar

I am redoing all my backups that I have put on junk media and getting these backups on my TY DVD's for better storage.

I've been using CloneDVD to just clone the backup and then burn the copy on my TY discs.

I've noticed that my original backup would have the size of: 4.35 GB. But the copy I made of that using CloneDVD was now smaller: 4.29 GB.
It always says "Target size sufficent. Disabling Transcoder". So I'm surprised it would compress it, or whatever it's doing, again.

If I use CloneCD I get the exact size on the new backup. Which is perfect.
This sounds like a no brainer, I know. But I do not yet own CloneCD yet. It's just the trial version. Before I do buy it I need to know:

1] Is it a bad DVD backup from CloneDVD. Meaning backing up a backup using CloneDVD. Or not?

2] Is it just plain better all around to just use CloneCD to create a backup of a backup?

I'm very happy with CloneDVD's performance. It's a great tool. The best I've ever used. But the 1:1 copy you get from CloneCD is also a great tool to have.

Just like to hear some talk on the subject and maybe personal experiences with using the programs in this or other applications.

Either way. I think getting CloneCD would fit in nicely with my arsenal.
Thx
Jalabar

@ Jalabar,

It appears that possibly you using CloneDVD improperly to copy a pre-existing Backup copy of a Commercial DVD Movie.

To use CloneDVD to copy a pre-existing Backup copy of a Commercial DVD Movie you should use the “Write Existing Data” option. Using the “Write Existing Data” option in CloneDVD does not use the CloneDVD compression transcoder. Using the either the “Copy DVD Titles” or “CloneDVD” options uses the CloneDVD compression transcoder.

It appears that you are concerned that your Backup copies were recorded on poor quality DVD Media and possibly these Backup copies were poor quality Burns that might contain read/write errors. Prior to making a copy of a Backup copy suggest using Nero CD/DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_4775.zip) and perform a ScanDisc surface scan of the Backup copy to ensure that that the disk is a quality Burn that doesn’t contain any read/write errors. If the Nero CD/DVD ScanDisc surface scan reveals any red or yellow sectors indicates that the particular Backup copy was a poor quality burn that contains read/write errors. The remedy to correct this problem is to use the original Commercial DVD Movie to make a quality Backup copy.

Regards,
Coaster

Depending on the age of the backup and the smaller changes made in CloneDVD2 as well as the protection removals updates to AnyDVD it is possible the output is smaller because AnyDVD is functioning differently and removing stuff that was left in the original backups that was actually garbage all along.

AnyDVD should not be running when copying a backup since it would have no protection.

AnyDVD should not be running when copying a backup since it would have no protection.

Agreed. I, myself, sometimes forget to disable AnyDVD when I'm messing around with backups or even unprotected DVDs. But, I don't have any issues if I made a newer backup of an older backup and AnyDVD removed more garbage that wasn't needed. But, in the end, you are absolutely correct since the backup already has protections removed and is region free there is no need for AnyDVD to be running.

Why not just copy the "pristine" original????:confused: That will eliminate any "poorly burned media" errors...:agree:

Thanks guys.
YES.The updated Anydvd program found more protections on my backup. These backups are probably a little over a year old. {maybe} And Anydvd running caught and removed more junk. That is why the file size was different.

I'm just surprised that when I first created this, it still burned and played on my standalone.
Here is the Status window of Anydvd of one of my backups made about a year ago. [or less]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.4)
TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372 TU55 03/14/05
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2286160 sectors (4465 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TEMP
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6 8!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed invalid program from program chain!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 4 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Again. This is from the backup. Not the original. Shocked it copied and worked.

Why not just copy the "pristine" original????:confused: That will eliminate any "poorly burned media" errors...:agree:

As confusing as it may seem there are valid reasons for backing up a backup. I do tend to do a bit more to my backups than most, though.

The original backup may have selective parts retained and others removed. Even with what I removed the size required a DVD-9 disc and I didn't wish to use one. So, since I would have lost too much quality I used DVD Rebuilder Pro with CCE and re-encoded it to fit on a DVD-5. For my normal settings to do this with a movie that would end up around 50% of the original quality with CloneDVD2 would take about ~10-15 minutes to rip to the HDD, ~120 minutes (2 hrs) to re-encode to DVD-5 and then about ~8 minutes to burn. So we're talking about 2 hrs and 23 minutes just to make a backup using the original when I could simply make a backup of the original backup in no more than the time to rip to my HDD and then to burn.

Just like the reasons I make backups of an original disc to protect it from damage the backup suffers wear and tear by clumsy and idiotic people [that I live with] who don't take care of things. As long as I can make a copy of it before it is beyond readable and doesn't have errors that's the way I'll do it. :D

Edit: I didn't take offense to what you said. I just wanted to comment on why I have done this before because whenever people discuss the topic of backing up a backup what you said is essentially what others always say. I don't think people take all the factors into account as to why backing up the backup of the DVD the person legally owns makes sense.

Last edited:
Back