Recommended External DVD Burners

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by cdhart_33, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cdhart_33

cdhart_33 Member

What are some good external dvd burners to use with ANY DVD and Clone DVD?
    I have read over other forums and have not found a clear answer.

Also, I have one more question. I was reading a review on a popular computer store website and it said that a certain DVD burner was not compatible with DVD cloner, is this true?
    Thanks for your help
    cdhart33:D

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Any optical drive "should" work with any DVD software. I prefer to use an internal drive in an external enclosure. The initial cost is about equal but if/when the drive dies you only have to replace it and not the entire unit.

3. cdhart_33

cdhart_33 Member

Where can you purchase these enclosures, and are they a universal fit? I would like to use the Plextor PX-760a, this would be a great set up I believe. Thanks for such a quick reply. My old burner croaked and its aggravating being without one, but I want to make sure that I purchase a good burner.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Newegg has a large selection. There site seems to be having some problems right now so I can't post a link. You'll need a 5 1/4" external enclosure.

5. cdhart_33

cdhart_33 Member

Thanks for your reply. Are there any external enclosures that you could recommend?

By the way Speaking of newegg, newegg was where I saw the comment about a certain DVD burner not being able to work with DVD-cloner. The comment can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16827106053

Is there any such list that exists?

Thanks again

6. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

If a software doesn't work with hardware it is most generally the software that needs to be "fixed".
    As I said, I prefer the aluminum enclosures w/fan. I have used a couple of THESE for customers and no complaints.