• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Reclock, HD6570 and HD Audio via HDMI

Comer

Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7,with PowerDVD 11, an ATI HD6570 (HDMI from my PC to my receiver) and Reclock (latest version.) If I run without reclock I get HD audio but with the odd minor stutter. But if I run Reclock in the mix,the only audio I can get is Prologic (stereo). Are there any settings in PowerDVD or Reclock that I'm missing that will allow me to get HD audio using reclock as I can get when not using it. BTW, I set PowerDVD audio to "Non decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external deviced" in PowerDVD to get HD audio without Reclock, but this does not work to give HD audio when Reclock is running

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
For ReClock to function properly, you should avoid bitstream output (in fact, ReClock has this capability disabled by default). This is because ReClock cannot do it's thing if it can't alter the audio. What you will want is for PowerDVD to decode the sound to multichannel PCM, and have that output through ReClock (allowing ReClock to do it's magic). Also, since you are using PCM, you will have to make sure the speaker configuration is correct in Windows, otherwise windows will downmix it as necessary to match the speakers it THINKs you have.

Thanks for the reply. I think this is starting to make some sense to me now. What was putting me off was that if I select "Non decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external deviced" my reciever display showed HD Audio, but with PCM selected in PowerDVD, it was displaying Multichanel. How do I know that I'm getting the full glory of the HD audio formats uncompressed if I select PCM

Thanks again

HDAudio formats are lossless codecs. The PCM that results from decoding them is bit-precise to the PCM that went into encoding them.

So what is the advantage of using HDMI with PowerDVD over analog outputs with TMT? My old setup was with an M-Audio revolution 7.1 analog card with TMT 3, I guess I'm not going to notice any real difference using HDMI.

If you use analog then your DACs are on your sound card, if you use HDMI they are in your receiver. Generally the DACs in a receiver will beat the pants off those on a motherboard, or even most sound cards. Bu there are really good sound cards and really c**p receivers, so it can vary.

ps. should be no reason why you cannot use TMT3 with HDMI, but you probably know that!

You should be able to play without any stuttering using bitstream and PCM without Reclock because the HDMI Audio and Video output share the same clock.
Almost all HD Video is 23.976 Hz. You have to select 23 Hz in Windows to get this. 24 Hz is really 24 Hz and fits for just a few disks.
If 23 Hz is not available you have to disable GPU Scaling in CCC.
Be aware that CCC seems to have issues distinguish between 23 and 24 Hz settings.

@PatkIllA

Hi!

I have a question for You...
My setup is somewhat similar to original in question (ATI5450 gfx in HTPC, hdmi cable connected to Denon 1610 AV receiver, then connected to Philips 40PFL7603D TV). I am also using MP and ReClock.

I see that You state that it should be possible to watch 23.976 FPS material bitstreaming without any stuttering. I have a 23Hz option on desktop properties page of Catalyst drivers but when I choose it TV flickers for the moment as if changing freq. When I get picture back it shows 24Hz selected in "Refresh rate" section. GPU scaling is disabled.

Is there a way to find out which link in the chain doesn't support 23.976FPS setting?

That is one of the issues.
Go to advanded Display Properties and change Refreshrate there. CCC will show you 24 Hz anyway.
To check you can use Media Player Classic Home Cinema Statistics and madVR.

Can You please elaborate on this? Some link(s), perhaps...
In Media Player Classic Home Cinema you can hit Ctrl+J.
In the top Left you some numbers about File/Refresh rate/Jitter and so on.
In the bottom right are two lines. If every thing works as expected they parallel all the time without any spikes or anything else.

madVr is an alternate video renderer which can be used in some DirectShow aware Players and also gives you detailed timing information.

If you run Reclock you should be alte to watch hours using bitstream without any drop or repeat of an ac3/dts frame(except for the first few seconds maybe). Except for PAL Speeddown, other time manipulation stuff or maybe WASAPI use you don't need Reclock anymore with hdmi audio. At least with ATI. Probably with NVIDIA too but I have not found any one on that.

Last edited:
If you run Reclock you should be alte to watch hours using bitstream without any drop or repeat of an ac3/dts frame(except for the first few seconds maybe). Except for PAL Speeddown, other time manipulation stuff or maybe WASAPI use you don't need Reclock anymore with hdmi audio.
Can you please clarify as I'm a little confused by this statement. You say with Reclock and bitstreaming there should be virtually no dropped/repeated frames but then you say Reclock isn't needed with HDMI audio. So when is Reclock needed?

Thanks,

->g.

Can you please clarify as I'm a little confused by this statement. You say with Reclock and bitstreaming there should be virtually no dropped/repeated frames but then you say Reclock isn't needed with HDMI audio. So when is Reclock needed?
With HDMI-Audio Reclock is only needed to play media at a different rate. E.g PAL-Speeddown.

With HDMI-Audio Reclock is only needed to play media at a different rate. E.g PAL-Speeddown.
I thought this was the whole point of Reclock...playing media at a different rate to compensate for rate differences between the media and the display/graphics card? If the media is 23.976 and I'm hooked up to a 1080p60 display (with no 23.976/24 film mode) is Reclock still needed or does this rate variance not matter because both video and audio is going over HDMI?

Thanks,

->g.

Last edited:
I thought this was the whole point of Reclock...playing media at a different rate to compensate for rate differences between the media and the display/graphics card?
Reclock compensates for different clocks of the audio and the video hardware by resampling the audio. The normal way with a pc is to drop or repeat video frames to keep audio and video in sync while the sound card provides the reference clock.
With hdmi the audio and the video part may use the same clock and therefore will play without judder or the need to manipulate the audio. You must have set the correct refreshrate however. With my Radeon 5870 the 23 Hz settings equals 23.976 Hz and 24 Hz is 24. Hz.
If the media is 23.976 and I'm hooked up to a 1080p60 display (with no 23.976/24 film mode) is Reclock still needed or does this rate variance not matter because both video and audio is going over HDMI?
With this combination you will always have judderish playback. Neither Reclock nor hdmi audio will help.

Last edited:
Think I'm starting to get it thanks for the replies PatkIllA.

With hdmi the audio and the video part may use the same clock and therefore will play without judder or the need to manipulate the audio.
Does this only apply to bistream audio or does this also apply to audio that is first decoded on the PC (like DD/DTS/FLAC) and then sent out HDMI as PCM?

With my Radeon 5870 the 23 Hz settings equals 23.976 Hz and 24 Hz is 24. Hz..
What if the graphics card is 23.976 but the HDMI display only does 24.000? Should Reclock be used then?

glc650 said:
If the media is 23.976 and I'm hooked up to a 1080p60 display (with no 23.976/24 film mode) is Reclock still needed or does this rate variance not matter because both video and audio is going over HDMI?
With this combination you will always have judderish playback. Neither Reclock nor hdmi audio will help.
Simply because 60 isn't a multiple of 23.976/24?

Does this only apply to bistream audio or does this also apply to audio that is first decoded on the PC (like DD/DTS/FLAC) and then sent out HDMI as PCM?
It applies to both. The methods to achive it are just very different. PCM resample, Bitstream drop or repeat frames which may be audible especielly if the refreshrate is not a very close match.
What if the graphics card is 23.976 but the HDMI display only does 24.000? Should Reclock be used then?
I don't know of any display that has problems with that. The 0.1% is with in the range of fluctation clock generators used in consumer electronics.
Yes

glc650 said:
I don't know of any display that has problems with that. The 0.1% is with in the range of fluctation clock generators used in consumer electronics.
glc650 said:
Yes
Ok what if the content is 29.970 or 30 fps and the graphics is 60 Hz? Should Reclock be used then to compenstate for that variance?

Ok what if the content is 29.970 or 30 fps and the graphics is 60 Hz? Should Reclock be used then to compenstate for that variance?
If you have synced clock generators it will work with 30fps Content and 60 Hz refreshrate and with 29,970 Content and 59,94 Hz Refreshrate.
If you don't have synced clock generators Reclock will do the job.
Note that a variation of 0.1% already gives you a lot of dropped/repeated Audio frames with bitstreaming. You should use PCM instead.

If you have synced clock generators it will work with 30fps Content and 60 Hz refreshrate and with 29,970 Content and 59,94 Hz Refreshrate.
If you don't have synced clock generators Reclock will do the job.
How do I tell if I have synced clock generators?
Note that a variation of 0.1% already gives you a lot of dropped/repeated Audio frames with bitstreaming. You should use PCM instead.
So let Reclock manipulate the PCM or simply send PCM over HDMI and let HDMI sync the A/V?

Back