• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Reclock - DTS HD/TrueHD COnfusion - bitexact or not??

saala

Reclock,

I output DTS HD/TrueHD tracks via pcm via powerdvd/arcsoft via hdmi ati card to my onkyo.
Obviously using reclock. I was led to believe in the past you need to achieve bitexact - which I have but I cant remember why it needs to be bitexact though???

Anyway having read alot posts in this reclock forum recently I am confused now...do I need to be running in bitexact or not? Alot of post suggest thats not how reclock should be used???

I wish to achieve the best sound qaulity when outputting DTS HD/TrueHD tracks via pcm - whats the best way of doing that?

Great app by the James! :clap:

thanks in advance :)
Saala

The main idea of reclock is to get smooth video playback. For that it needs to resample the sound. If the resampler used is high quality enough, you probably would not notice any difference.

Now, if you want the highest sound quality available, you have two options:
(1)bit exact
(2)resampling to the higher sampling rate your receiver/dac works with

If you use (1), you could get jerky video playback, because the audio/video sync could be lost sometimes.
Some people claim that (2) gives even better sound quality than (1), so, your best option is to try both and decide for yourself.
If you cannot hear any difference, stick with the resampling option, because that will give you the smoother video experience.

The main idea of reclock is to get smooth video playback. For that it needs to resample the sound. If the resampler used is high quality enough, you probably would not notice any difference.

Now, if you want the highest sound quality available, you have two options:
(1)bit exact
(2)resampling to the higher sampling rate your receiver/dac works with

If you use (1), you could get jerky video playback, because the audio/video sync could be lost sometimes.
Some people claim that (2) gives even better sound quality than (1), so, your best option is to try both and decide for yourself.
If you cannot hear any difference, stick with the resampling option, because that will give you the smoother video experience.

Thanks for the informative answer. :)

(1) plays well for me but I am up for better sound quality :agree:
(2) hmmm my display is set to 1080p24hz. My receiver is the onkyo sr607. So what options do I need to play with inorder to resample to the highest sampling rate? I dont know what the highest sampling rate my onkyo sr607 supports. :confused: How do I know it has worked?

Thanks once again :)

saala

Thanks for the informative answer. :)

(1) plays well for me but I am up for better sound quality :agree:
(2) hmmm my display is set to 1080p24hz. My receiver is the onkyo sr607. So what options do I need to play with inorder to resample to the highest sampling rate? I dont know what the highest sampling rate my onkyo sr607 supports.

Try 96kHz. My Onkyo 906 supports higher rates (up to 192kHz), but surround expansion / tone control / Audyssey only work up to 96kHz.

:confused: How do I know it has worked?

You hear something. ;)

Try 96kHz. My Onkyo 906 supports higher rates (up to 192kHz), but surround expansion / tone control / Audyssey only work up to 96kHz.

You hear something. ;)

:clap: Can't argue with that! :agree:

I dont use audyssey - switched it off - so I could try 192khz? where within the app do i make this change? Is that it no further changes reqd?

Great app James! You :rock: my man!

I dont use audyssey - switched it off - so I could try 192khz? where within the app do i make this change? Is that it no further changes reqd?

You don't use any surround expansion like Dolby 5.1 -> 7.1? Or 2.0 -> 5.1?

Anyway, you set the output format in config.exe ("Configure ReClock" on your desktop)

EDIT:
Using 192 kHz is pretty pointless anyway in your case. It'll only consume much more CPU and memory.

If you don't have an acoustically treated listening environment I'd suggest you reconsider this approach. Audyssey is a great technology.

You don't use any surround expansion like Dolby 5.1 -> 7.1? Or 2.0 -> 5.1?

Anyway, you set the output format in config.exe ("Configure ReClock" on your desktop)

EDIT:
Using 192 kHz is pretty pointless anyway in your case. It'll only consume much more CPU and memory.

Since you know what you are talking about I will try 96. Do I still need the slave option ticked? What about original speed and locked?

Thanks James :)

If you don't have an acoustically treated listening environment I'd suggest you reconsider this approach. Audyssey is a great technology.

I did try it but it made the LFE channel too bloated. I may give it another go.

Since you know what you are talking about I will try 96. Do I still need the slave option ticked? What about original speed and locked?

Thanks James :)
What? Never tick any options you don't know what they do. Set "Auto". Never tick "slave...".

What? Never tick any options you don't know what they do. Set "Auto". Never tick "slave...".

Whoops! :doh:

Ok slave is unticked. Locked in unticked (what does this do btw?) and Auto has been selected.

Output set to 96khz.

Reclock tray icon green. Woo hoo!

I must say i think it sounds better - abit more "openess" in the sound than my previous reclock default setup.

I like it! :agree:

Thanks James! :clap:

So am I now running the best audio possible in my setup?

Also something on the side but I noticed after upgrading powerdvd 9 last night to patch 2320a my blurays with trueHD & DTS-HD 7.1 tracks output in 5.1 (via PCM via HDMI)? But the same blurays output in 7.1 in arcsoft media theatrer? Have 7.1 tracks always been broken in powerdvd?
Maybe I just havent noticed :confused:

Do I still need the slave option ticked? What about original speed and locked?
Those settings are for bypassing the resampler and get bit exact audio.
If you want to use the resampler, you have to do like James said.

So am I now running the best audio possible in my setup?
You should set resampling quality for the highest possible, and you should also try with 192kHz and compare.;)

Those settings are for bypassing the resampler and get bit exact audio.
If you want to use the resampler, you have to do like James said.

You should set resampling quality for the highest possible, and you should also try with 192kHz and compare.;)

192khz? Hmmm I may try that :)
Wonder what the cpu usage will go up to?

With an Onkyo receiver? No, you don't. ;)

Ok ok....I was tempted by the dark side :agree:
That was close :clap:

So since I cannot go above 96khz - what other areas for audio can I improve? Maybe 32 bit as opposed to 24bit padded to 32 bit?

Back