• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ReClock chitchat

hey cool, you got your FLAC radio up and working then! I personally like to select my own music, as I like many different styles...but none of them are too commercial, so I like the idea of having a huge FLAC library.

anyway, my Musiland has made it to Paris now, so I shall have it on tuesday or so :agree:

this guy says that it kills the STX, and I didn't like the STX...so that's good :D
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1343583.html
the STX... it was very sharp with most songs but it lacked a bit of clarity
[..]
It wasn't just the quantity of bass but the quality also. It was just much deeper and fuller sounding – like a completely new experience.

and I really like how the 8738 sounds on headphones!

ok, but they output 23.976/24fps at a perfect multiple? because 60Hz is no good.

Yes, they output 23.976/24fps, and TVs sync to that (TVs with support for 24p input).

Even DVD players with progressive output work like that, not to mention Blue-Ray players and HD media players.

does it read FLAC/MP3/M3U? I see it also does gapless ASIO...we might be in business :)

I'm still trying to get it off RS, which is busy as hell.

I think I'm gonna get an Auzen soundcard, put two AD797B on it(it's officially supported by Auzen!)....because only ASIO is automatically bit-matched I would need to set the masterclock to whatever I wanna use Reclock at, and play audio in an ASIO player :agree:

the auzen carry fully discrete headamps, I like the sound of that.

does it read FLAC/MP3/M3U? I see it also does gapless ASIO...we might be in business :)

What I mostly tried: FLAC, WAV, MP3, usually in high bitrates, no prob..
Didn't try M3U, it supports CUE though. And no internet stream obviously, eh didn't try that one myself,
maybe this is the secret "white rabbit" function yet to be discovered, hah :)

You can also play files/directories via win explorer's right click, that's optional during install, it goes into registry..

ok so I tried the PlayWasapiASIO_0.0.6 w/ ASIO4ALL on XP SP3/dogbert's 8738 drivers.

-Reclock in KS/madflac/MPC/ffdshow pass-through = perfect as usual, SS is very wide/uncolored, sound is very clear and just very pleasant

-foobar in KS/ASIOALL = it sounds less refined, more agressive, not so nice..don't like it!

-playwasapiasio 0.6 = sound seems distorted, SS seems colored to death...not too good IMHO.

but ASIO4ALL is a hack, I'll try on the musiland tomorrow.

I'll try the new versions of XXHighEnd as they seem to work on XP now: http://www.phasure.com/index.php?board=1.0

Why are you using ~year old version, when latest version of this player is 0.1.1? But you are right in one thing, that ASIO4ALL is more like shortcut to bypass kmixer than full fledged ASIO connectivity. In any case I stick with my previous observation and conlusion, something was likely amiss with your setup.. 8)

Btw. how did you configure the ASIO4ALL tabs? It can surely cripple the SQ horribly if not set properly..
For starters try latency at 0, and max. buffer size, no hw buffer, ..

Set priority for the player process at high or real time, stop known background spoilers like wlan, antivirus/spyware etc.

Last edited:
well, because b11 can't do ASIO apparently...only b6 can, and it does sound clipped on my set up(foobar does not), I've also tried to mess w/ the ASIO4ALL settings to no available.

I can't get XXHighEnd to play any audio, and the GUI is painful anyway...back to Reclock and its "honey in my ears" sound :D

I don't get an .ini file w/ b11?? I just get an error msg that WASAPI no workee.

Strange, isn't there problem in that enabled=0/1 business or something?

Went through another A-B, hard to compare those two, my impression is that Andy's player gives more clarity and detail (not oversharpness), which is missing on ReClock, but it excells on dynamics, that's likely from doing its clock thing. However, sometimes because of that ReClock sounds to me much like "drama queen" on every track/style or year, I gather that's result of *uberclock.

When one player needs +5% improvement, the other one would benefit from -5% of what is overdoing. Sorry, don't have that advanced terminology on my findings. Perhaps a direct meassurement (some silly graphs) could help me out. In any case, these two are my picks for top players.

*lot of 10-20yrs and older recordings certainly were not mastered with the ReClock like precision, hence reproduction based on ultraprecise clock is no good.

ok, I'll try again tomorrow.

try Lilith, it sounds great I think in ASIO...different from Reclock, but not worse.

there's a newer version: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6403206-post91.html

OMG: this player is amazing, and it does gapless too :rock:

it also supports WASAPI, and you can set it to play from RAM.

Reclock in comparison sounds edgy and "digitis", uLilith + ASIO4ALL sounds analog to death...very impressive.

PS: it even seems to do gapless on mp3..wow

Last edited:
Looks as we are starting to spread new virus here, rolling players.. hha seriously, I'll give it a try ;)
But it's not minimalistic aka headless - I learned to love recently - decapitated players, lol

--
It won't load, I assume from japanes readme, it wants me to install this additional virus:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 ランタイム (x86 / 32bit OS 用)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...75-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=ja
or this one??:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&freetext=Visual C++ 2008 SP1 &DisplayLang=en

--
-ok just plugging the common sense (used later one 2008/09/16) inst. package..
-now it works..

-bonzai like GUI but takes 20% system resources, minimized 0%, .. , but CPU still fluctuates in ~20% spikes during tracks even on mem buffer and minimized (very naughty - bad boy player!!), smooth headless wannabee? Certainly it is NOT the real deal..

-its default ASIO4ALL settings were: latency in/out 32, buffer size 512, hw buffer uncheck, kernel buffer 2, both resample and force uncheck; all changed to my traditional setup hehe..

-btw. hm it can't do basic 128k internet streams (or didn't find a way to it yet)..
--

first A-B: very different sound (fluid), some freq. cleaner than ReClock, and not as dynamic/uberclocked - slow river/slow motion (edit: "vinyl sound") - almost underclocked (could be bad on some tracks though - tends to mush vocals & some intstruments), I'd position it halfway between Andy's and ReClock at the moment, perhaps slightly above these two (when above issues are resolved - edit: realtime priority & mem buffer & asio tweaks helped a bit)..

=> looks as some of these issues are likely confined to this particular PC (only bare x86 instructions), will try my other PCs/setups with modern cpu instruction sets (SSE2 and above downloads available) later.. http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/
--
--
--------------------------------------------------------
Massive tweaking orgies and A-Bs are about to commence:
--------------------------------------------------------

=> provisional results => too much vinyl cream & honey sprayed around (un~natural/DSP like forced) =>
(perhaps this feature /ugly worm/ might turn into butterfly on highend audio card, don't know, pretty much doubt it..)

=> hm, my best CDs where you can previously count every teeth of the vocalist are now mushy like from synthetic honey warehouse - no good! You are french you suppose to know how *Tricatel's factory looks from inside, right?

==> Andy's player is ever so more neutral to my liking/ears as of now..

=> just for the kick will try loudspeaker setup (my estimate is the honey blur will be forced even more)

-
*However, comparisons aside, Julien Guiomar remains to be among my favourite french actors hah

Last edited:
well, I dunno wth this player does....but it sounds as vynil as you could possibly get! Reclock is a no-go in comparison, it sounds like Burson does........good :D

very thick bass, creamy mids and non-shrill trebles... + a very wide "holographic" SS.

ok I'm getting the musiland at the post office :agree:

Well, I'm not bashing this nice player, it deserves to be catapulted in the top league, no question about it. However, I'm bit worried that this massive liquid vinyl sound has been forced down quite aggresively by the devs as requested feature/spec, I don't hear/believe it's just natural occurance..

Good luck with picking up your parcel, beware of the street mob, Musiland is hot commodity these days.. :D

---

Edit: After the first round of tests the dust and placebo effects settled down (see the review #435),
so my list of recommended players according to SQ (on XP machines) is as follows in top down order:
(no priority given due to add. features: capability/lack off to online streams, gapless, stability, ..)

--
[ASIO4ALL/ASIO:] 1. Andy's headless (StealthAudioPlayer 0.1.1) / 2. SqueezeSlave headless (linux mplayer core) / 3. uLilith
--
[Dsound (kmixer "bypass" tweaks):] .. / .. / 2-3. MPC-HC^ReClock upsampling / 4. SMPlayer (linux mplayer core) / 5. VLC
--

Last edited:
well, the musiland really kills w/ uLilith 8)

very detailed yet not shrill, bass is up the roof, mids are very creamy as usual..me like :D

Btw. is there any practical use/benefit of this ACPI timing settings for other players (I mean not exclusively for ReClock) ??:
Also, is it exclusively multi-processor thingy?

Code:
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NODEBUG /TIMERES=9766
for boot.ini

as appeared here and few other audio-philic threads on the internents:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=21817
http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-boot-ini.html

more detials in The Art of Building Computer Transport: http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/v... art of building Computer Transports v0.3.pdf
Warning: read twice - includes hard core settings
--

very detailed yet not shrill, bass is up the roof, mids are *very creamy as usual..me like
May I ask you what is your aprox. age category, you are probably aware of the rapid deterioration of human hearing/sensitivity after the age of 35-40, no pun intended, myself rapidly approching that stage..

-
* that just disqualifies uLilith for me (unless my setup was somehow kinked), read my updated review/findings above

Last edited:
the shorter the timer resolution, the faster a laptop battery will flat out...I think the default value is a compromise between energy consumption and system snapiness.

Last edited:
Back