• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ReClock 1.8.6.8

James do you think it could be that the "set matching speaker configuration" option doesn't work with ATI 5000 cards with the bitstreaming Realtek and ATI drivers because of the PAP, or is it just coincidence? Right now I've found that the better setting for me is using Directsound, but without WASAPI exclusive my channels don't switch, so I'm having to use the old 2.35 Realtek driver.

James do you think it could be that the "set matching speaker configuration" option doesn't work with ATI 5000 cards with the bitstreaming Realtek and ATI drivers because of the PAP, or is it just coincidence? Right now I've found that the better setting for me is using Directsound, but without WASAPI exclusive my channels don't switch, so I'm having to use the old 2.35 Realtek driver.

I don't know. All I know is, that the ATI 5000 cards are a PITA. Sound sucks, Video levels are all over the place, but not where they are supposed to be. I've thrown out my 5770 and replaced it with the 4850. I'm giving up on ATI to finally fix these things. It is getting worse with every Catalyst version.

You shouldn't, you'll loose some bits of dynamic.
[..]
I don't consider ReClock "beta" software.
well, I listen at low volume on highly efficient headphones...they're very loud w/ very little volume. It's either high digital volume attenuation or analog pots w/ nasty distortion and stereo imbalance, not much choice here!

hah, I meant "b" for "build"...sorry for the misunderstanding markdavis.gif

I don't know. All I know is, that the ATI 5000 cards are a PITA. Sound sucks, Video levels are all over the place, but not where they are supposed to be. I've thrown out my 5770 and replaced it with the 4850. I'm giving up on ATI to finally fix these things. It is getting worse with every Catalyst version.

Sigh, I just found out that TMT .175 has badly stuttering audio with the Realtek 2.35 driver. I have thought going back to my 4670, but I got some games I like to play here.

It's always something with HDMI it seems.

My black levels are consistent on my 5670 with 10.4.

All my content, SD and HD are the same levels in PDVD8/10 MPC-HC. I have it configured for 0-255 but I can switch to 16-235 if I wanted.

I don't fV<k around with registry settings or anything either, don't need to.

Only issue I have with black levels is that RGB FULL does NOT work. It's the same as Limited. So I just use 4:4:4 or whatever it is.

My black levels are consistent on my 5670 with 10.4.

All my content, SD and HD are the same levels in PDVD8/10 MPC-HC. I have it configured for 0-255 but I can switch to 16-235 if I wanted.

I don't fV<k around with registry settings or anything either, don't need to.

Only issue I have with black levels is that RGB FULL does NOT work. It's the same as Limited. So I just use 4:4:4 or whatever it is.

Try PowerDVD 7, TMT 2 or TMT 3. The card* will output PC-Levels (0-255), even if configured for studio levels. OTOH PowerDVD 8, 9 & 10 and ZoomPlayer always output studio levels, even if the card is configured for PC levels. PC-Games (Tombraider Underworld) always output studio level.
This is with Catalyst 10.5. Maybe I'll try Catalyst 10.4, but ATI is driving me completely nuts. And reverting to an older driver is a nightmare (unless you have an image backup).

EDIT:
* I have a 5770, maybe the 5670 is better...

indeed, there's no point for clipping detection when the volume attenuation's enabled...eagerly awaiting b69 then :D
It will be with the next version, as volume control will be done after resampling.

It will be with the next version, as volume control will be done after resampling.
hehe, good point! as long as the volume control's processed even if the resampler's not in use I'll be a happy camper :agree:

BTW, is it me or the volume attenuation is laggy w/ music? no buffer should be used I suppose?

PS: KMP allows to set the volume steps interval, but MPC doesn't...so convenient :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Try PowerDVD 7, TMT 2 or TMT 3. The card* will output PC-Levels (0-255), even if configured for studio levels. OTOH PowerDVD 8, 9 & 10 and ZoomPlayer always output studio levels, even if the card is configured for PC levels. PC-Games (Tombraider Underworld) always output studio level.
This is with Catalyst 10.5. Maybe I'll try Catalyst 10.4, but ATI is driving me completely nuts. And reverting to an older driver is a nightmare (unless you have an image backup).

EDIT:
* I have a 5770, maybe the 5670 is better...

IME they all behave erratically. There was a very lengthy discussion at AVS about this and it came down to nothing concrete. People were getting different results which seemed to be related to the displays or AVRs used. Me, I'm getting perfect Pixel Format output, whichever I choose. Full RGB and Limited RGB they both output as expected. IIRC someone who also had a Pioneer display also confirmed it. Many people could not get Pixel Format Full RGB to work at all.

As for 10.5 vs 10.4, I haven't noticed any changes besides they screwed with the workaround for disabling Powerplay (which gives the sound issues) by editing the profiles.xml file, which worked fine with 10.4 and before.

IME they all behave erratically. There was a very lengthy discussion at AVS about this and it came down to nothing concrete. People were getting different results which seemed to be related to the displays or AVRs used. Me, I'm getting perfect Pixel Format output, whichever I choose. Full RGB and Limited RGB they both output as expected. IIRC someone who also had a Pioneer display also confirmed it. Many people could not get Pixel Format Full RGB to work at all.

As for 10.5 vs 10.4, I haven't noticed any changes besides they screwed with the workaround for disabling Powerplay (which gives the sound issues) by editing the profiles.xml file, which worked fine with 10.4 and before.
I gave my 5770 another try. Here are my findings:

1.) Power saving on the card is broken. Sound will play correctly, if the GPU clock is not allowed to drop. I use ATI tray tool to force power saving off, and LPCM sound via HDMI works. This is really pathetic. I have to run the card with full power (or at least a constant clock) all the time, otherwise there will be "glitches".
Even games suffer from this problem, e.g. the start menu of Tomb Raider Underworld, as it doesn't "stess" the GPU enough to force high clock rates.

2.) Black level behaviour seems to be related to the refresh rate. I consider PC levels basically broken, they only work "a little bit" when using 1080p60, but not with 1080p59, 1080p50 or 1080p24. Only the HDMI output has this problem, via DVI output the levels are correct (but sound won't work, of course).

3.) Studio levels seem to work fine. However, for TMT 2&3 "Dynamic Range" in advanced video settings must be set to Limited. For PowerDVD, Zoom Player & Co. it must be set to Full. Very odd, the 4xxx cards didn't require this (and CCC doesn't offer this setting with 4xxx cards). Same is true for YCBR.
This is very annoying, if you have a high end projector with DVI input (requiring RGB PC-Level). Or a PC monitor. Isn't this a card for ... PCs? :rolleyes:

4.) The annoying "AMD external events utility" service must be running, otherwise sound won't work. The 4xxxx cards work without it.

Conclusion: With some tweaking (forcing high GPU clock, using studio levels, creating a special video profile for TMT) the ATI 5xxx card seems to be usable. Still, the 4xxxx cards don't exhibit these problem. They don't bitstream HD audio (which IMHO is a software limitation), but for ReClock PCM audio is better anyway. TMT3 .180 doesn't bitstream HD audio anymore, if ReClock is loaded.
Speaking of bitstreaming, it doesn't seem to work all the time, even without ReClock. I'll test a bit more....

Yeah, I've been doing workarounds ever since I got my 5770, but still I'm not getting some of the problems most are. For instance, your #2 doesn't apply to me. I constantly change between 60p, 29i, 50p and 23p without issue, levels are constant once you set them. Depending on the driver version, they would default sometimes to different pixel format outputs, but once you set them individually, they would stick to it.

I don't think I'm experiencing your #3 either, but I'm using PowerDVD 8.0.2217, cause I refuse to use any newer build/version. I'm not even using it, only for testing, I got TMT3 to work barely acceptably (though .180 is giving me a lot of bugs). We found that protected video content doesn't listen to the pixel format output, only to the "dynamic range" option in CCC. I do have to set profiles and hotkeys to switch "dynamic range" on the Video section of CCC because any program that uses EVR and is vulnerable to desktop color/levels changes is screwed the way I've set up things (which in my case is only Media Center). I'm using Overlay on MPC-HC which is much less resource-intensive and do the video processing I'm missing on ffdshow.

I'm using the Realtek 2.35 driver (so the "set matching speaker" option works), and obviously only LPCM output. I set 96kHz output for the Windows mixer and use DirectSound output with ReClock, so ReClock does the resampling to 96. I can't use WASAPI exclusive cause I get glitches with the audio after it closes with the Realtek driver (the sampling frequency seems to get screwed somehow, and I get slower and lower-frequency sound). If you could take a look at that, it would be great, but I find I'm liking DirectSound cause I do other stuff while I pause a movie or something, and I like sound mixing.

I started a thread on the known problems of the 5000 series, btw, with the contribution of the usual suspects and others. The profiles.xml "trick" linked in problem 2 worked until Catalyst 10.4, and it had some advantage, cause you could keep clocks stable at idle and when using DXVA they would switch speeds automatically. The GPU Clock tool method doesn't let DXVA switch clocks, but it's easier to use and gives you more command line options so you can make switches easier with shortcuts.

Last edited:
BTW, sorry for the false alarm w/ the glitches I get over S/PDIF when sending 48kHz PCM...it happens in KMP/MPC over KS/DS but only over DS in PotPlayer, KS is glitch-free in PotPlayer :confused:

Last edited:
Back